Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's considered a shonen? I don't even know what's the definition lol

Conflicts are often solved through violence, and the fights that ensue often involve long scenes of dialogues or in some cases monologues, both with semi-philosophical content.

I think the definition is something like: "Little boys are main characters"

It's more about the target audience - anything aimed at boys is described as Shounen.

Or, it appears in Shonen Jump. :p

Or Shounen magazine, or something else entirely.

Conflicts are often solved through violence, and the fights that ensue often involve long scenes of dialogues or in some cases monologues, both with semi-philosophical content.

Not really, it just means there'll be a lot of what boys tend to like - fighting, cool characters etc.

Basically shows are aimed at different target audiences:

Kodomo - little kids, e.g. Doraemon, Hamtaro, etc.

Shounen - boys, e.g. Naruto, Dragonball Z, Mecha anime, etc.

Seinen - older guys and young adults, e.g. Death Note, Elfen Lied, Boogiepop Phantom, etc.

Shoujo - girls, e.g. Marimite, Fushigi Yugi, etc.

Josei - adult women, e.g. Honey and Clover (very little Josei is subbed)

Stuff for fat greasy otaku - no name as such, but my favourite genre :heh:, e.g. Kanon, CLANNAD, Higurashi no naku koro ni, etc. Some (or possibly all) of this comes under Seinen also.

Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff - children - e.g. Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, etc. Note that Miyazaki claims his films are not anime.

Anyway, thats about all I can think of. Just because you don't fit the target audience of a show doesn't mean watching it isn't worth your while.

Bought the first volume of MPD (Multiple Personality Detective) Psycho yesterday, absolutely brilliant, I recommend this to any one who's into mysteries and detective stories etc. I cant help but feel the author may have some mental problems.

MPD Psycho is fabulous. I've only read that same first volume, but loved it to bits!

Ah ffs, not this topic again! Grah!

WHY WHY WHY dub?

DO YOU LIKE LIGHT SAYING "and then eat it" in over the top dramatics? seriously, why have it dubbed?

I've never watched Death Note.

How can anyone ever watch a dub? There's just no possible explanation for it!

You silly, silly, fool. :nono:

Yes, this topic again. It will never be over until you admit that dubs are always a bad thing. They may be a good dub, but they're NEVER better than the original voicework. NEVER.

Dubs AREN'T always a bad thing. Seems to me like the only dub you ever watched was Naruto, but that show is crap dubbed or subbed...

Sorry, but it is just a preference. Just like having red or brown sauce with chips. Nothing which warrants such a big debate on a fox-hunting-esque scale.

Dubs AREN'T always a bad thing. Seems to me like the only dub you ever watched was Naruto, but that show is crap dubbed or subbed...

Sorry, but it is just a preference. Just like having red or brown sauce with chips. Nothing which warrants such a big debate on a fox-hunting-esque scale.

Dude... listen to what you're saying!!!! The original voicework is what was planned to be released, the dubs are a re-interpretation of what was specifically designed to be the voice of the show. No matter what angle you look at it from, dubs are ALWAYS a bad thing, because they're the deconstruction of a mapped out performance, dubs are only meant to make shows more accessible, and in 98% of the cases, dumbed down. Much of the humour is lost, and so is the intended characterization of the portagonists! So yes, dubs are ALWAYS a bad thing, because they're always a substitute for a more precise dramatic instrument.

It's true that you may preffer the dubs, I won't argue with that, but that probably derives from the fact you're too lazy to go with subtitles, thus making your preference a mistake. In fact, there's no plausible excuse for using dubs unless you are slow minded or unable to read.

lol o_w...

I'm on your side, I hate dubs... (american accents harhar o_o)

But the guy can do what he wants :heh:

Of course he can, I don't agree with what his saying, but I defend his ability to say it and do it. All I'm saying is, he can't claim that dubs are better or "equal", because it's a crystal clear fact that they're not. Regardless of his preferences.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!