NEurope

I'm currently watching Gundam SEED Destiny, but I'm unhappy with where the ending is going. It's like the director thought at the beginning of the series that Durandal has to be evil, but he didn't figure out how to make him look bad until about 40 episodes in, hence the rushed ending.

I command you all to experience Neon Genesis Evangelion. You will not regret it.

I bloody did. It's utter shite.

Any reasons? Something can't just be shite. I'm certain you have perfectly valid reasons for hating on it, like the decline in the animation quality, the complexity of the storyline and themes it supports... so why not share exactly what you disliked? Maybe I'm rose-tinting Evangelion... but you'll be hard-pressed to find a story with more scope, more detail and more mystery surrounding it. Especially in anime. Eva was a landmark for it's time and remains so today.

Man, anime fans sure do have a lot of angry opinions. How many of us cry ourselves to sleep when our favourite show is dubbed with EDITS? Jesus, suicide time.

I command you all to experience Neon Genesis Evangelion. You will not regret it.

Tad overrated

Some good recomendations from Jordan. If anyone can check out Tsubasa Chronicles, thats decent. Quite dark at times.

I'm sorry, but if you wanna sit through 30 minutes of random violence (aka Gundam seed) then go ahead. But NGE was groundbreaking for its time. It has an amazing complex story, some incredible characters and a look so advanced for its day.

The ending few episodes were like a mind trip. If you think NGE is shite, then you obviously need to rethink what you...think.

NGE was groundbreaking

I wouldnt say that at all. before NGE, there was Sailor Moon, Lupin, Dragon Ball, macross,Endless Road SSX, Galaxy Express 999.

Im sorry but all these shaped anime much further (especially in Japan) than NGE however popular it is.

Hehe; bit of an anime fanboy myself. At the moment, I'm only watching one fansub series, that being bleach...episode 49 rocks!! Can't wait for it to be licensed, I want some R1 dvds to go alongisde my R2's.

My fave series have to be Tenchi Muyo, Fullmetal Alchemist and .Hack//SIGN.

Gunslinger Girl and Genshiken are two of the best shows to be released this year on R1, and I reccomend everyone should buy them.

Heres a list of my evergrowing anime collection; http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=masaki86

Oh, and check the trade/sale forum as I'm selling off a few titles.

I wouldnt say that at all. before NGE, there was Sailor Moon, Lupin, Dragon Ball, macross,Endless Road SSX, Galaxy Express 999.

Im sorry but all these shaped anime much further (especially in Japan) than NGE however popular it is.

Because these shows are all the epitome of plot and character exploration. Evangelion started out very simple, monster of the week with nice animation and some hints toward something more. What we ended up with was a complex analysis of mankind, and several brilliant ideas. To call it the greatest anime of all time would be an understatement, in my humble opinion. It changed my expectations of anime altogether.

So many themes were going in the background it's easy to just take Eva at face value, but you can really develop a greater understanding of just how complex and intriguing it is if it catches you. Guess it didn't catch you. No matter, there are plenty who dislike it. They usually pin it down to the lack of animation in later episodes, the storyline seeming to mindfuck them, and the brutality of the final two episodes. Regardless of how you view Evangelion, there really is nothing else out there quite like it. RahXephon comes close, and I think VERY highly of it, but Evangelion is still my favourite of the two simply for the impact it elicted in me first time watching.

The only time I really felt any kind of emotional attachment to Rah was later in the series, when a certain character was killed unknowing to Kamina Ayato. Evangelion was just... wow. The things that it all led to, the final result. The final scenes in that movie are an unsurpassed art. Opinon.

I'm cool with DragonBall, but the rest of those shows aren't groundbreaking. As enjoyable as they all are to their respective fans, I like to look for a little something more in the animation I watch. As I said before, I'm probably rose-tinting Evangelion to hell but I simply adore the characters, the concept and above all the drama filling all of the last episodes. As long as anime gives everyone something it doesn't matter.

Maybe it's just cool now to hate Evangelion.

I'm cool with DragonBall, but the rest of those shows aren't groundbreaking. As enjoyable as they all are to their respective fans, I like to look for a little something more in the animation I watch. As I said before, I'm probably rose-tinting Evangelion to hell but I simply adore the characters, the concept and above all the drama filling all of the last episodes. As long as anime gives everyone something it doesn't matter.

I take everyting you said in, but to say macross wasnt groundbreaking when it was released in like the 70's or something.

"Yeah take your NGE tinted shades off" :grin:

I think imo NGE is a little similar to Naruto in its fanbase as it is something that alot new people to anime watch. Just my view on things. Probably wrong on that point but still.

I take everyting you said in, but to say macross wasnt groundbreaking when it was released in like the 70's or something.

"Yeah take your NGE tinted shades off" :grin:

I think imo NGE is a little similar to Naruto in its fanbase as it is something that alot new people to anime watch. Just my view on things. Probably wrong on that point but still.

*Keeps them on* I think Evangelion redefined the robot anime genre, regardless of what Macross did. I've only seen Macross Plus and to be honest it was kind of shitty, didn't do anything to retain my interest due to some horribly boring character love triangle nonsense. You can have the Macross thing, since it is rather popular for some weird reason... but my point remains on the others. You can 't just list a load of classic anime shows and say they were groundbreaking.

Any anime fanbase is akin to another, because people will defend their beloved series to the death. Naruto is essentially a revamped DragonBall... which is the reason I like it so much, and maybe Evangelion was a revamped Macross or Gundam, I don't know. I don't care about those shows.

*Polishes the NGE shades* It's worthless to argue about this further, isn't it. We aren't going to get anywhere.

I dont see it as pointless. Quite enjoying it tbh. Nothing personal, just a good discussion.

I wasnt listing them for any reason other than to show that Evangelion was NOTHING NEW. However good it was, it wasnt groundbreaking, it wasnt anything largely innovative. You even admitted it was a revamped Macross showing that it had been done before, and it will be done again.

I dont see it as pointless. Quite enjoying it tbh. Nothing personal, just a good discussion.

I wasnt listing them for any reason other than to show that Evangelion was NOTHING NEW. However good it was, it wasnt groundbreaking, it wasnt anything largely innovative. You even admitted it was a revamped Macross showing that it had been done before, and it will be done again.

I said maybe it was as I haven't really seen a lot of it to judge. The actual robots weren't even robots in the end... the entire robot anime genre (if Eva even really falls into one single category) was redefined. An anime was created that all other anime could aspire toward. Evangelion really -was- something new when it was released. You're saying it wasn't, and it wasn't particularly innovative... have you watched the entire series/movies? The very concept itself was quite innovative, it's simply full of hidden depth and other nonsense nerds like me can really look into when they're bored. The final movie as I mentioned above is simply amazing. I mean, check this out if you don't believe me:

Evangelion Commentary Project

Some of this is speculative, but as that shows... a tremendous about of stuff is going on there. I don't feel I can argue about this much longer, I have some work to be getting on with and my opinions are quite biased, as well as ill-informed. I don't feel it would be wise to continue this much longer, if only because it would disrupt the harmony this forum has at the moment.

So hey, I'll be the mature guy here. You win and I lose. Eva wasn't groundbreaking, nor was it actually as good as people like me say it is. Rose tint-me-doo.

*White flag*

Wasnt it Jordan who said it was grounbreaking at first? Hes the one i should be arguing with harhar

Wasnt it Jordan who said it was grounbreaking at first? Hes the one i should be arguing with harhar

I dunno who said what, but oh well. Let's just resume our lives.

I've never really got into anyother anime except for Studio Ghibli which I love. I watched Tokyo Godfathers but it was no way as good as Ghibli films. I mgiht buy Akira, I've heard good things about it.

Mmmm. Asuka Langley Sohryu.

I am grabbing Mai Hime at the moment, thanks to those that suggested it.

Also is Triggan any good ? I have heard mixed opions about it.

Trigun is excellent. I just watched the full collection of TV episodes. Really funny, but at times gripping stuff. Not exactly treading on any new water, but interesting to watch. Recommended.

I've been trying to get the Samurai X boxset (full collection) for a decent price. Anyone know where to look? Best I got was like £25, but the seller pulled out.

NGE i've yet to watch. I dunno why I haven't watched it. I guess since everyone always goes on about it, I try to steer away. I generally appreciate things more when people start to forget about it. Might be a while still.