N-Europe

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because it's good, and I wouldn't recommend any of those to someone who's just starting.

I wasn't trying to imply it was bad... I've never seen it, there just seems to be a massive fanbase for it here.

Actually maybe Higurashi isn't a good first, but I reckon that both Azumanga and Honey and Clover could get people hooked.

I had to say Higurashi... I find it difficult to make a post without referring to it... :heh:

I wasn't trying to imply it was bad... I've never seen it, there just seems to be a massive fanbase for it here.

Actually maybe Higurashi isn't a good first, but I reckon that both Azumanga and Honey and Clover could get people hooked.

I had to say Higurashi... I find it difficult to make a post without referring to it... :heh:

How can you watch all that "underground" stuff and not the classics. I guess anyone would like Azumanga but it has a very peculiar humor.

I would recomend GoldenBoy for newcomers.

Shorty is correct. The best starter anime is definately Trigun.

So yeah, that intro was kinda cool... but what's Trigun all about?

In the distant future, mankind has come to reside on a barely habitable, sandy wasteland planet. Wanted throughout the planet is a man going by the title of "Vash the Stampede" - an outlaw nicknamed the "Humanoid Typhoon" and said to have taken out the entire city of July in a single attack. The bounty of 60,000,000,000 double dollars has been placed on his head, dead or alive.

Meryl Strife and Milly Thompson of the Bernardelli Insurance Society are tasked with tracking down this elusive character and preventing him from causing anymore mass property damage, but that's going to be hard when the notorious outlaw is actually... a complete idiot prone to misfortune at every turn and ironically a diehard pacifist?

Wild-West style hilarity, action and drama are assured with Trigun.

[edit]

Find the first episode here if you fancy a watch.

How can you watch all that "underground" stuff and not the classics. I guess anyone would like Azumanga but it has a very peculiar humor.

The only real "classic" I've seen is Akira, which didn't impress me in comparison to the manga... I've never been that interested in standard anime fare, but that doen't mean I think it's crap...

Ghost In The Shell would be in my opinon the best place to start but maybe cause thats what got me into anime.

Anybody heard about ADV's Bento Boxes? You get 4 episodes from 4 different anime. The first one there are doing has Area 88, Gilgamesh, Cromartie High School and Get Backers. They sell for £5.99 which is pretty cheap but i'm only intrested in Gilgamesh. A good idea though.

What makes Trigun so great is it's so accessible. It has a very western-style story and setting which won't scare off a budding anime fan. It's also a fairly self-contained work with a great mix of styles to keep everyone entertained.

I always found

summed up Trigun great. Spoiler-freaks beware.

Trigun, RahXephon, Tenchi Muyo OVA and Neon Genesis Evangelion are the only shows I ever recommend to people. El-Hazard OVA too, once they've checked out Tenchi.

The best anime ever, without any doubt, is The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Not only is the plot amazing, it delivers important themes about society and has a lot of symbols about religion. Pisses me off that people don't understand how beautiful this anime is and I just want to punch them in the face.

You forgot to mention the amazing animation quality.