N-Europe

The Official Wii Price Thread.

Caris

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why you're complaining so much mcj. Not only are you getting this stuff when purchased:

-Wii Console (with inbuilt memory)

-Leads

-Wiimote

-Nunchuck

-Wii sports game

-Stand

-Sensor Bar

-Fully online out the box (Wii Connect 24)

You're also technically getting a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Sega Genesis and a TurboGrafx-16 out of it, possibly more in the future. So essentially, you're buying 7 consoles for £180. Nifty!

Over priced VC games is also a joke really. I see copies of Secret of Mana in Gamestation for £60, and copies of Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros. for £30, and chances are I'll be able to download it off the VC system for around a tenner eventually. Sure, you can also pick up some NES games for about £2, but I'd rather have my games all neat and tidy inside one system, rather than scattered about all over the house.

Look Ma, no swearing/namecalling!

Over priced VC games is also a joke really. I see copies of Secret of Mana in Gamestation for £60, and copies of Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros. for £30, and chances are I'll be able to download it off the VC system for around a tenner eventually. Sure, you can also pick up some NES games for about £2, but I'd rather have my games all neat and tidy inside one system, rather than scattered about all over the house.

A very good point. And ofcourse you're eventually going to get games on there, like the long lost Japanese Fire Emblems for example, that can cost you more than a new game. So I think we're getting a good deal.

The VC prices are very good, its also a developers dream to still gain money out of games long after their release. It also helps them cash in on those who want to play those old games but cant be assed to pay tons for the originals on ebay.

Its a good market, and both the customer and developer win.

A very good point. And ofcourse you're eventually going to get games on there, like the long lost Japanese Fire Emblems for example, that can cost you more than a new game. So I think we're getting a good deal.

the problem isnt what price u can get them at a shop.the problem some people have is that u can download them with an emulator for free.Though illegal.N64 games are usually ported badly

i suppose the one advantage is that u are garuenteed perfect quality for a small sum

Im quoting this from another forum, and I think he speaks the truth tbh:

US - £131 is without sales tax which varies in each state. So if we add on our tax it comes to £154.

Still a £25 difference you say, well the shops have higher costs over here. And why is that? Because wages over here are much higher than the USA.

So how about everyone in the UK has their wages cut in half to match those of the USA? Then we can all save £25 on a nice new games console...

Also where he says UK you can read Europe as well, as it holds true.

Good thread. :)

I admit I was a little disappointed with the price of the Wii, but that was simply because I had been hoping Nintendo would target the general public with it.

While £180 might be a bit too high for Joe Non-Gamer, it does make sense at this point. Because the first people to buy a Wii WILL be gamers! To a gamer, £180 is a reasonable price for a new console.

When all the gamers have their brand new Wiis, Nintendo can probably drop the price for the non-gamers. I doubt that there'll be a drop for the PS3 launch, since Sony's monolith is going to be £400+. :P

I actually think the VC prices are fine. You'd pay more for old games on Ebay and at game shops! Plus, downloading emulators and ROMs is HIGHLY ILLEGAL. Compared to those options, the Virtual Console is a nice legal way of getting old games at reasonable prices.

My only concern is the combined price of the Wiimote and nunchuck, makes it a little hard to be able to afford a total of four controllers. But at least Play.com has good reductions on those. :)