N-Europe

Photo Viewer, You don't get it do you??

Phube

From what I've read on here by many poster is:

"Wow a photo viewer... I can do it on my PC... *whine* But teh DVD... *whinge* PC does it better... what's the point..." etc.

What you whingers fail to realise is this is presicely the application that will get non gamers interested. I don't know about you but have you tried to show 2 sets of parents your holiday snaps on your PC.

It involves, sometimes, 6 people crouching round a PC (usually in the smallest room of the house) while you navigate with a mouse. Not ideal at all!!

Now picture this (no pun intended) you invite the folks over to see your holiday snaps, put the SD card in your Wii, turn on the TV, make a cuppa for everyone then you all sit on the sofa as you watch/navigate your holiday snaps on the TV. Easy as!!

This idea is pure genius!! Get used to it!!

I'm with Phube. :)

I have a PC and a digital camera. It's fine for flicking through photos and playing videos, but it's not exactly something you could just sit your family in front of.

It would be perfect to put a slideshow/movie on a SD card, slot it into the Wii, and play. The TV should be much bigger than a PC monitor AND the Wii's interface looks a lot simpler and swishier.

The only part I may not make much use out of is the photo editor, but not everyone has a photo editor - or even a PC!

If it works like a social network, a'la Flickr/devianTART then I'll probably use it.

You will have to be well connected with lots of friends who also have Wii's to warrant the service being really good.

I imagine it will be something the rich take advantage of to show off their 4 week holiday snaps from prague to their aunt who is in Fiji or something like that.

The computer will no doubt do the job better.

I take back what I said earlier.. I wont use it, it doesn't have a keyboard.

I undertand its to get non gamers interested, however because Xd cards are slightly better for cameras. So it may have some little impact.

Also how many non gamers are going to buy a wii to play with photos and if they have broadband go on the internet.

I would of thought DVD playback with the photos option would be more appealing to non-gamers than photos with extra options if they have the internet.

I don't see why everyone is so fussed about the extras. I'm sure agames machine is meant mainly for games, or thats just my own fantasy i live in.

Sure the photo viewer and such will come in handy, and ill use them, but why do peopel have to moan. It's not like they'll change it for the small amount of people who think it pointless.

If you won't use it then don't.

Simple.

Photo viewer/Movie viewer is one of favoruit extras. Lets hope they make it compatible with DivX [not going to happen :cry:]

DivX isn't going to happen as it is commercial codec with relatively high royalties. But XVid is open source, and license allows that it can be used even in commercial products. It also plays most DivX movies correctly.

You can actually connect my PC to my TV. You can actually connect most cameras to a TV directly.

Seriously, there's no point in this at all.

You still don't get it do you!!

Does your camera have a remote control ability (if it does I apologise, and like WOW!) this would mean like my camera, me sitting in front of the TV (my cable is that long!) whil I have to go through my pictures in order... Yay what fun!!!??

No my cable is pretty long.

Seriously, it's really fanboyish to go call this 'brilliant' and what not.

It's actually hypocricy by Nintendo, to half include these multimedia options.

Let's just end this by saying that with you long cable and all-powerful PC and no family to show photos to... The Photo Channel is not for you!!

But for other people out there, this IS a very good thing, and will get the older generation playing with the Wii controller!!! This is the kind of in road Nintendo are looking for with their Wii Channels!