NEurope
Phube

Rip-off Britain...

Yeah, I know, I think it might be down to including The Sun's news desk in the list of addressees. :D

Wonder what response this will generate:

Actually, if you read my previous reply, I did at least allude to profit margins of Japanese retailers; I will bold them for you in this reply, so you can read it a little easier.

So, you are confirming, for me, that Nintendo are purposefully charging consumers more for buying the same product than the rest of the world, rather than take a small reduction in profit? I'm pretty sure that's what you have stated here and which is what I was wanting to know. I know Nintendo have a policy of making profit, unlike their competitors, on their hardware; I just wasn't aware they were ignoring their new business ideology to do so, thus risking the loss of support and the consumer mindset failing to perceive them as a possible mass market leader.

Oh well.

Yours

Adam Gurney

Ashley your sig :bowdown: Sarah Chalke owns my world

Agreed, though she was actually at her hotest when she was in Turks dream as the sexy nurse.

In Austria sales tax is 20% which means the Wii would cost about 208€ without taxes. Then if you subtract all the costs for packaging, storing, shipping, retailer margins I think the Wii hardware + Wii sport are pretty cheap.

In Austria sales tax is 20% which means the Wii would cost about 208€ without taxes. Then if you subtract all the costs for packaging, storing, shipping, retailer margins I think the Wii hardware + Wii sport are pretty cheap.

Yep, thanks to the euro countries with large taxes benefit from this european price (21% VAT here).

Agreed, though she was actually at her hotest when she was in Turks dream as the sexy nurse.

I have icons of that too, my sig is just in rotate-when-bored mood.

Anyway, back to topic.

Let us know what he says Adam.

Before I forget - I know the UK price seems to be higher than in other EURO countries BUT:

- who decided to stick with GBP instead of the EURO?

- ever thought how much it costs to ship the Wii consoles from Japan to Rotterdam or Hamburg (biggest ports in Europe) and then to the UK?

On the EU mainland it is easy - once the ships are there trucks deliever the consoles to the other countries but the UK is the exception. Trucks + Tunnel cost a lot and so does a ship just for the UK.

Then by that logic, we'd still probably get a higher price even if we used Euros (or the whole of Europe would to seem fairer)

Before I forget - I know the UK price seems to be higher than in other EURO countries BUT:

- ever thought how much it costs to ship the Wii consoles from Japan to Rotterdam or Hamburg (biggest ports in Europe) and then to the UK?

On the EU mainland it is easy - once the ships are there trucks deliever the consoles to the other countries but the UK is the exception. Trucks + Tunnel cost a lot and so does a ship just for the UK.

And Ireland........I was told in Gamestop today the Irish Euro Price for Wii would be €259.99. A whole €10 cheaper than Nintendo's Estimated* Selling Price.

*Yes I know it's only an estimated price

Then by that logic, we'd still probably get a higher price even if we used Euros (or the whole of Europe would to seem fairer)

I doubt it - Nintendo would just increase the price in whole EU to cover their expenses. So if they promise 250€ - you can be sure that it will be 250 on the island aswell.

I just can't understand why people are fussing. The UK has a strong economy, the average wage is relatively high compared to other countries and thus we pay more for things. If you want things cheaper then you have to expect to be paid less. It all works it's way out.

Personally I couldn't care less how much it costs in another country. I don't live in those countries.

Just stop winging!!! :D

its not really that about sticking with the Pound Sterling, because when you import things you usually get it cheaper and because Nintendos a huge company they could get massive savings on transport costs.

I personally feel we will be paying the costs of NoA and NoJ(NCL) for their Marketing campaigns, while we won't even get a decent commercial and print adverts.

I personally feel we will be paying the costs of NoA and NoJ(NCL) for their Marketing campaigns, while we won't even get a decent commercial and print adverts.

That is indeed a valid point - Nintendo favours Japan and USA over Europe because it is easier to manage.

Two marketing campaigns - one for Japan and one for the USA instead of marketing the Wii in evey EU country. They could concentrate on Germany, UK and France but it seems they regard those countries as not important enough.

I just can't understand why people are fussing. The UK has a strong economy, the average wage is relatively high compared to other countries and thus we pay more for things. If you want things cheaper then you have to expect to be paid less. It all works it's way out.

Personally I couldn't care less how much it costs in another country. I don't live in those countries.

Just stop winging!!! :D

Dare I ask, how much do you earn? I assure you, whilst the "average wage" of the UK is pretty high, there are one hell of a lot of people who are earning a lot less than it. A couple of years ago there were two surveys announced around the same time; the first survey stated that the average wage for the UK was £25,000; the second survey stated that 1 in 4 workers were earning £100,000 or more.

Do you see the problem, there? 1/4 of the workforce are earning all of the money needed to create an average wage of £25,000; what does that leave for the other 3/4 to be earning? Let me just say, not a lot.

I don't know if this has already been said; but the gap in price is smaller than that (between us n the US at least) because they earn less than us on average.

Edit: Okay; I now see that's been hit upon; and YenRug; because there are more workers; it evens out more; and if it's just 1 in 4 workers this would include part timers too wouldn't it?

That is indeed a valid point - Nintendo favours Japan and USA over Europe because it is easier to manage.

Two marketing campaigns - one for Japan and one for the USA instead of marketing the Wii in evey EU country. They could concentrate on Germany, UK and France but it seems they regard those countries as not important enough.

They absulutly no reason to market, even in smaller countries. Even Shampoos and cleaning products now how to make their brand known in all europe, and I'm sure Nintendo has infinitly more funds than them.

They absulutly no reason to market, even in smaller countries. Even Shampoos and cleaning products now how to make their brand known in all europe, and I'm sure Nintendo has infinitly more funds than them.

The difference is Nintendo has had a better history in bothe Americas and Japan, So we pay the cost of having to market the console so that the Wii totally breaks even in the shortrun

Shampoos are different because they use the same actors/actoress then badly dump the commercial, so there marketing costs are low enough so they can charge £3 and still manage to make around 10-15% profit on each one.

Just found out that the Wii in NZ will cost $500. Which is more expensive that the XBox 360 core pack which costs $450, I'm a little dissapointed but hey you get a game with it and all those little extras so I think in the long run it works out OK.