NEurope
Phube

Rip-off Britain...

By my calculations 25 +13 = 38

ROFL!!!!

My bad, but at least I was closer than who ever said they where £45 together...

Look on Play.com, they are £25 for a Wiimote, and £13 for a nunchuck.

All the desperate nintendo fanboys are saying ' oh come on it isnt that bad '

well it flippin is and you know it, but just too afraid to admit it.

the gamecube wasnt £180! ok its better hardware but so was the gamecube 4(?) years back.

the big thing is:

£45 for just another pair of controllers. i thought the official GC pad was a rip off at £25. well flippin look at this! £45 more just so you can play multiplayer with a friend. very family friendly isnt it. £180 just so one person can play at a time. how involving. think about it:

if you want 4 player then:

3 nunchuks and 3 wiimotes comes to a total of £135 - just for 4 player. I could play four player for £40 on GC. revolting.

i will certainly not be getting it at launch. probably have to wait for 2 price drops

me = not happy

I'm sorry but do you not understand what the WiiMote is. There is a rediculous amount of high tech crap in there. And guess what buddy

IT COSTS MONEY. If you don't like it buy something else.

Balfron that was a brilliant post, nice way to put it all into perspective.

'The Wii wont cost MORE than $250'

Well when the EU price is converted and tax is removed its fucking over that.

the gamecube wasnt £180! ok its better hardware but so was the gamecube 4(?) years back.

the big thing is:

£45 for just another pair of controllers. i thought the official GC pad was a rip off at £25. well flippin look at this! £45 more just so you can play multiplayer with a friend. very family friendly isnt it. £180 just so one person can play at a time. how involving. think about it:

3 nunchuks and 3 wiimotes comes to a total of £135 - just for 4 player. I could play four player for £40 on GC. revolting.

i will certainly not be getting it at launch. probably have to wait for 2 price drops

me = not happy

i agree with you very much so.it is far too much for a console that was suppossed to have been a gamecube add on!

U should be able to buy the nunchuck and wiimote together.i think it is quite sad that most of u think its not that bad!Even worse is that the console has no dvd playback and replaced it more or less with.'photo viewing'

what the fuck?

Unfortunatly, because of the price, I'm gonna have to ask for one for christmas instead of buying one on launch day, mind you, with the money I've saved up (and will be saving up), I'll be able to afford 2 games plus Wii-play ready for christmas day XD

Well i worked the price out based off 360's price difference for USA to UK and i got roughly £165... but thats the reduced price of the 360 core version (£10 off)... so really £179.99 is near enough bang on to what microsoft is adding on for the UK 360 core vs USA 360 core.

I'm sure there will be offers anyway.... at xmas time argos always give £10 gift vouchers when you spend £100, so i'll be getting my Wii form there with some staff discount and a nice voucher to help me with the rest of my games/hardware i want.... It's sad that we get ripped off so much here, but thats a brits life i guess :(

i've already roughly worked out i'll be getting a Wii (with Wii sports obviously), launch game, classic controller for £195 give or take £5 so thats already a £40 saving. I'm happy with that!

I'm very disappointed with the launch details for Europe.

The price is not mass market friendly in Europe. Maybe in Japan it is, but not for us. It's more expensive than I expected. I thought £150 max, although they have included Wii Sports, but again I think this should have been optional, as I feel that the game has added to the final price. If so, why bundle it in? I'm sure a lot of people would not have picked this up at launch. We have yet to see any depth in the game that suggests it's worth any money.

The price won't stop me from buying one, but I think I will have to revise what I get as Zelda and an SD card would already take it way over £220. And I would have liked a 2nd set of controllers, which again is rudiculously expensive.

Then there is the news that you may actually have to pay for the Opera browser with Wii points. And I thought Opera was free practically everywhere.

So much for being cheap and accessible - it is not. Then again I don't think Nintendo are aiming for the mass market at launch as they know they have a big enough fan base.

Here's hoping Microsoft drops the price of the 360 in Europe, and Nintendo counters like they did for the Gamecube. I seem to recall the Cube was originally going to be £180 before it got change to £130. Although I doubt they will do this, as I think they know that demand will be very high especially in the run up to Christmas.

Failing that, hopefully there will be some promotional bundles on the high street.

And btw I have full time professional job, how the hell are students and children going to buy it.

Good point about microsoft possibly dropping the price of 360 there... i hope they do! then nintendo would have no choice but to follow suit.

imo nintendo should have made it a lower price even if it meant they make no profit or even a small loss on it. They have a lot of ground to make in the UK, £179.99 wont help much

the big thing is:

me = not happy

For once someone speaks the truth. At this price Wii will not sell to non-gamers; people can argue all they want but Nintendo have to overcome the negativity of the poor GCN support so non-gamers wont pay this. Particuarly the remotes are 50% overpricerd.

And in Australia at least, its REAL close to the premiun X360 its not funny (not going by RRP, but actual in store price. Its a real shame that Nintendo has grasped another oportunity to #$%^ UP. And WTF replacing the DVD with useless photoviewing? And wow I can get the weather?

So they really think 250 euro is appealing to non gamers?

For once someone speaks the truth. At this price Wii will not sell to non-gamers; people can argue all they want but Nintendo have to overcome the negativity of the poor GCN support so non-gamers wont pay this. Particuarly the remotes are 50% overpricerd.

And in Australia at least, its REAL close to the premiun X360 its not funny (not going by RRP, but actual in store price. Its a real shame that Nintendo has grasped another oportunity to #$%^ UP. And WTF replacing the DVD with useless photoviewing? And wow I can get the weather?

lol u stole my point about the photo viewing

I'm not bothered about the price of console (although I was obviously expecting cheaper) but £45 for a controller?! Ludicrous! Three quarters of games on wii will use the nunchuck/wiimote combo. I'm pretty angry but I have to give in cause I want a wii so much.

yeah also forgot about the DVD support being dropped. how much more exactly would it have cost to include it? frankly i would have preferred it to the wii sports inclusion.

it's just too expensive with what you actually get with the system. not much more powerful than the gamecube, what are we paying for? sure the games will be great, but we will pay for those separately. i just think it's expensive for what we actually get. i'm sure most of us hardcore gamers don't care about these extra channels rubbish, checking weather, and photo viewing blah. And Opera is not even built in.

All in all the news is disappointing, I don't know why they didn't just tell us the facts earlier rather than get us all disppointed now. There was nothing mind blowing about the launch details whatsoever.

For extra, decent quality DVD support (not crappy-20-quid-DVD-player-from-ASDA quality), it would cost around 30/40 quid extra, I think.

I think nintendo is pushing it, they must be making about 100€ with each Wii they sell! I might import it from Japan if it isn't region coded, it's only 168 € and I don't care about about Wii Sports, I'll buy some real games with the money that's left.

yeah also forgot about the DVD support being dropped. how much more exactly would it have cost to include it? frankly i would have preferred it to the wii sports inclusion.

it's just too expensive with what you actually get with the system. not much more powerful than the gamecube, what are we paying for? sure the games will be great, but we will pay for those separately. i just think it's expensive for what we actually get. i'm sure most of us hardcore gamers don't care about these extra channels rubbish, checking weather, and photo viewing blah. And Opera is not even built in.

All in all the news is disappointing, I don't know why they didn't just tell us the facts earlier rather than get us all disppointed now. There was nothing mind blowing about the launch details whatsoever.

you expected the details to be mind blowing?!?!? wtf?!

nintendo did what they had to, we gamers will choose either to buy it at the price or not, we cant anticipate the mass market as every person i have described the wii to wants one-and thats even with me saying it might cost upto 200 quid.

im comfortable with the price in fact i love it, plenty of room for some price drops over the next 3 years or so. nintendo have differentiated the wii enough from the gamecube so you cant worry about ill feelings when the gamecube was an amazingly good lil console (better than the 64 or xbox at any rate).

the price is out the date is out. make your decisions. have fun now or have fun later its up to you. its just a little pointless bitching about it just for the sake of bitching.

I read something earlier that MCV were correct with their €220 price, but that Nintendo decided to push it higher due to the PS3 delay.

I dunno but that seems like simple economic sense to me. It mightn't be true but could well be.

And to be honest, 180 pounds isn't big sum for those who actually have job and belong into the middle-class. Most complainers here (I guess) are, after all, relatively young (between 15 and 19 years). ::shrug:

Agree 100%

Well be glad you don't live in Denmark then ... we are probably gonna pay at least 200£ for the bundle. And i'm not complaining, that is the price I expected.

Exactly, It's stupid if you sacrifice about 4 years of future great gaming moments cuase the Console is £30 more than you thought.

I can admit, i'l still buy one on launch, but you gotta consider this, what makes the wii so appealing now?

It was regarded as a cheaper option, now its only £20 less than a core 360 system. Although the wii comes with a game and the core 360 doesnt, its just £20 for the title of having HD gaming in your home, and thats the big thing now, HD gaming.

Another thing you gotta consider is this price is BLATANTLY ripping us off, you tech guys might not admit to it, but its definitly a rip off. They removed the DVD function to lower costs, so how high would the price of been with it? The same as a 360 core system? And back in that day it was still regarded as a cheaper, affordable option, which is bollocks if you only get £180 when you remove the dvd function. Absolute bullshit.

They've also fucked up the Wiimote sales, I really do hope they make a bundle were the Nunchuck and the wiimote come together as a cheaper option rather than have them seperated, its rediculous, i can only name 2 games that use the Wiimote ONLY instead of the nunchuck adapter.

I will be getting this at launch, and I do guess this only restricts me from buying too many games, but i'l be able to get more when christmas comes. But my opinion is certain, Nintendo have fucked this up. They've changed all the chips to just get a slight advancement (maybe not even that), and the only real advancement is the wiimote recognition software and shit, so they've only gone and make an extra cost by changing things that didnt need to be improved compared to the standards were getting.

Its one thing to make a profit Nintendo, but customer satisfaction is another.