N-Europe

An idea for this board

Fierce_LiNk

Well, i've noticed that we don't get enough discussion going on here. So, i've come up with a little idea.

Basically, on the old boards, we had something called the Roundtable. Someone would post a question or a statement, and members would post their thoughts and opinions in this thread. Its a bit like a discussion-only topic.

If the idea takes off, maybe we could this more often?

Here's my statement:

A great worry of mine with the Wii-mote is the problems it may cause, due to a lack of ideas and creativity by the developer.

What are your thoughts on this statement?

What do you mean by the problems it could cause?

Developers will be (and have been) saying "Oh its too different, we don't want to develop for that" (Hello, people? Use the classic controller or Cube controller then!). Or gamers saying "Thats too weird." "Thats stupid." "Thats a TV remote not a controller."

THey wont say that after the DS

Cmon, altho, becuase wii is lacking in the power dept, Wii is also missing out on other quality games.

Ed Boon said this a while ago, I know hes gone back on what he said but initial reactions such as this could prevent developers from looking into the Wii;

"You know, I don’t know how you could. One of the things about the Revolution controller is that you don’t have immediate access to a whole bunch of buttons. It’s like your holding a television remote and you have that directional pad and you have a big A button next to it. But there’s not five or six buttons to give you all of these functions, so maybe they will compensate but tilting one way for blocking or another way for attack. But that is so dramatically different. So it will either be one of the biggest hits in the world or a big failure. I certainly hope it does well."

Ed Boon said this a while ago, I know hes gone back on what he said but initial reactions such as this could prevent developers from looking into the Wii;

"You know, I don’t know how you could. One of the things about the Revolution controller is that you don’t have immediate access to a whole bunch of buttons. It’s like your holding a television remote and you have that directional pad and you have a big A button next to it. But there’s not five or six buttons to give you all of these functions, so maybe they will compensate but tilting one way for blocking or another way for attack. But that is so dramatically different. So it will either be one of the biggest hits in the world or a big failure. I certainly hope it does well."

Yeah the thing is, he is looking at it in the wrong way, the cube has 8 or so buttons + d pad and 2 analog sticks

Monkey ball will use analog and A button.

So you dont need so many buttons for the wii monkey ball,

Now take metroid prime,

You use the nunchuck, as thats what it was made for, with that u have access to:

Analog

z1

z2

A

B trigger

D-Pad which will probably be used as 4 seperate buttons

then u have the tilt and the motions from the nunchuck and wiimote

so thats almost equal to the cube buttons wise.

I think a problem in the future with the Wii-mote is it will play the same as other games depending on developers.Traditional way you could have different controls in the same style of game but with the Wii the main focus is the sensor and once there are a few FPS it will be the same,no different controls or anything and that's when developers will be challenged to do something new and the people who aren't creative will just basically make a game that has the same feel as others.

Hope what I said is kinda what your trying to get.

Developers need to be shown the technology. Nintendo should be liaising with any signed developer, showing them what can be done with the Wii-Mote. Developer need guidence.

Once they have the basics, developers will make their own choices. Lazy developers won't bother, but those who put the time and effort into will reap the rewards at retail.

And in all honesty, I think we'll see the same lacklustre developers coding Wii games with godgy controls as we have for the past generation. Midway, THQ to name two.

Yeah the thing is, he is looking at it in the wrong way, the cube has 8 or so buttons + d pad and 2 analog sticks

Mhm, and there in lies the problem. Ignorance (or lack of knowledge whatever) could lead to badness. Not saying it will, just spouting out hypotheses.

Personally I feel that the problems it will cause the the poorly implemented or extreme use of the wii-mote. Take the newly announced animal crossing, the wii-mote could easily be used too much. Make a digging motion to turn the soil. Tip the wii-mote to water you plants. Make a scythe motion to harvest the plants. It might get to the stage where it would be easier to actually grow a bunch of crops in your back yard.

The wii-mote needs to be used in such a way that it emulates the feeling of doing a task or action, but without mundane repetition that actually doing the task evolves. I think developers need to ask themselves when adding wii-mote action to a game, whether its actually fun. I don't want developers lack of imagination mean that all they are doing is simply porting reality into the control scheme. Using a disgorger to remove a hook from a fish's mouth in a fishing game is certainly immersion, but not exactly fun.The decision to not use the wii-mote for the next smash brothers game is a very good decision, and one that shows developers are thinking about these issues.

Using a gun, or lightsaber, works because its not something we can do in everyday life. It works because swooshing a wii-mote around, and imagining its a lightsaber is way more fun than the alternative, pressing a button. However, from the wii advert, how is pretending the wii mote a frying pan or whisk, more fun than actually going into the kitchen and making a black forest gateau. Would you rather be pretending to swing a golf club (ala wii-golf) or playing mini golf for real?

I want to see developers using their imaginations to enhance the experience of the gameplay, immersing the gamer in an experience that he or she could not have easily or readily in reality. Yes I want to see the wii-mote used to the RTS to the console, but there is so much more that can be done than using it as a simple mouse. Hopefully the first generation of third party games will show developers which features work well with the wii-mote, and which work best when mapped to a button.

I believe the DS has already been through this. Had Nintendo launched Wii without sending in the DS first, I think we would see a lot more bad games and ports than we are now. Sure, we'll have our fair share of them, but we'll also have some great ones, thanks to developers who have already been thinking outside the box with DS.

I was worreid about this to. But after listening to Ancel who is a bit of a psycho but still. Talk about how enthusiastic the wii made him about innovating again im not to worried. I think like the ds there will be ports that dont use much potential. But I think studios will devote how new projects and ideas to the wii, because it will be much chepear and easier to make games for. I think this time next year we would have seen some very very diversive use of the wiimote and not just from nintendo. I am pretty sure red steel has some intresting use of the wiimote, can't quite remember what but its good lol. Im hoping some long dead genres like grim fandango style adventure to be resserected by the wii. :love:

A key to nintendo's success is their marketing campaign. It really needs to convey their message and convey it good. People need to know what the wiimote can do. Once they attract the casuals, all the publishers and developers who turned away from the wii initially will pledge their support.

I feel the main problems of the Wii-Mote and Wii in general are that people think they will get tired playing it, people who want to relax whilst playing games probably wont want to start jumping around with their Wiimote in a virtual game of tennis on WiiSports, they'd much rather sit back and play Halo 2.

I don't know if it's innovation as much as finding good controls. Sure, some genres probably could use a swift kick in the pants, but when a company finds a good control scheme for something, I don't want everybody else going on with their innovation. The Wii is wildly different from anything we've ever seen, so, controls need to be revamped. Just like the jump to 3D, controls will change. The biggest problem for the Wii may be how soon the controls change. Sure, innovative games are necessary for the Wii, but I doubt any console in this day and age can survive without a few good FPS's. But, like a few others have said, the biggest test for how the Wii will do was the DS. And I would say the DS is doing just fine.

OK my statement:

Will there be an interesting assortment of different wii-mote add ons, and will they be used enough to buy them seperately? I dont want to buy an add on just for one game and then never use it again. Things like the nun-chuk are bound to be used often, but some other add ons arent.

Developers need to be shown the technology. Nintendo should be liaising with any signed developer, showing them what can be done with the Wii-Mote. Developer need guidence.

Once they have the basics, developers will make their own choices. Lazy developers won't bother, but those who put the time and effort into will reap the rewards at retail.

And in all honesty, I think we'll see the same lacklustre developers coding Wii games with godgy controls as we have for the past generation. Midway, THQ to name two.

Nintendo have been doing this. They did it with the DS (thanks Reggie!) and now they are doing it even more with the Wii. Devs get more help with the Wii dev kit than any other console, with a hotline to ask Nintendo questions. I've never heard so many devs talk so openly and so nicely about the way NIntendo have conducted their dev support. The support that they get isn't an issue as far as a dev deciding to develop for the system.

Will there be an interesting assortment of different wii-mote add ons, and will they be used enough to buy them seperately? I dont want to buy an add on just for one game and then never use it again. Things like the nun-chuk are bound to be used often, but some other add ons arent.

If a specific game has an add on, it will probably come with the game. Like Odama, or Donkey Konga. I'm worried about multi-player. If each player needs an attachment to play them, then, well...:horse:

But, yes, many will probably be game specific.

See: VG cats.