NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Donkey Kong's 25th anniversary

DonkeyKongMP7.jpg

Donkey Kong's 25th Anniversary

Donkey Kong was created when Shigeru Miyamoto was assigned by Nintendo to convert Radar Scope, a game that had been released to test audiences with poor results, into a game that would appeal more to Americans. The result was a major breakthrough for Nintendo and for the videogame industry. Sales of the machine were brisk, with the game becoming one of the best-selling arcade machines of the early 1980s. The gameplay itself was a large improvement over other games of its time, and with the growing base of arcades to sell to, it was able to gain huge distribution. Due to the game's success, Nintendo released two sequels, Donkey Kong Junior and Donkey Kong 3, as well as eight games for the Game & Watch platform. Later on, Nintendo also released a game simply called Donkey Kong that was based upon the previous arcade versions.

Throughout the 1990's, the British company Rareware developed Donkey Kong related games, establishing an entirely new world for the franchise. These games included Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Donkey Kong Country 3 for the SNES, as well as Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong 64 for the Nintendo 64. However, following the sale of Rare to Microsoft in 2002, Rare announced that they were concentrating their efforts on Xbox games. Even so, Rare continues to support Nintendo's portable consoles, the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS, since Microsoft has not yet released a competing handheld console.

Though Donkey Kong did not appear in any platformer games while on the Gamecube, he did appear in the Mario sport and party spinoffs as well as the Super Smash Bros. franchise. He also starred in his own spinoff rhythm-action game series, which included Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga 3, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

In the future, Donkey Kong is set to appear in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 with his special move being DK's Konga Dunk, DK-King of Swing DS, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, and Yoshi's Island 2 for the Nintendo DS, DK Bongo Blast for the GameCube, as well as Donkey Kong Wii for the Wii.

Edit: 1UP have made a very good article about Donkey Kong for his 25th anniversary.

Go here to read it.

it's a pity nintendo won't make a damn sequel to donkey kong 64!I'm sick of this bongo crap.

I thought Donkey Kong was originally released in Arcades in 1980.

it's a pity nintendo won't make a damn sequel to donkey kong 64!I'm sick of this bongo crap.

What are you talking about man!

Jungle Beat was amazing up until when my arms would start to cramp up and I would collapse from fatigue.

ok i'll admit i never played jungle beat but i would kill for a 2d ds sequel to donkey kong country 3.Cmon nintendo u don't need rare to do it and just come up with a new bad guy!

Donkey Kong is my favorite Nintendo character. My favorite game ever is DKC3 and Donkey Konga is my most played game this gen (apart from Disgaea!).

I loved Jungle Beat but I didn't like the emphasis on combos - I'd prefer a normal DK 2D platformer.

I thought Donkey Kong was originally released in Arcades in 1980.

No, definitely 81, it was pacman that was 80.

Apparently, there is one in the works.

To celebrate, let's all go kidnapp someone's girlfriend and hold them captive at the top of a construction site. Ideally kidnappers would obtain an ample supply of barrels to throw at would-be rescuers.

I'd liek to see a proper DK game too. With K. Rool & co. etc etc

rare owned the rights to K rool i think

BEAT OFF WITH DONKEY KONG.

(Old CE Joke, still a classic)

25 years huh? That's some old monkey. He's probably the oldest nintendo character next to mr game and watch.

Congratulations, you big monkey. Also, apparenly a few days ago it's been 20 years since Samus Aran starred in her first game, Metroid.

Congratulations, you big monkey. Also, apparenly a few days ago it's been 20 years since Samus Aran starred in her first game, Metroid.

Yeah, 6 days to be exact ;)

Anyways happpy birthday to Donkey Kong =)

But doesn't this also mean that its Mario's birthday/anniversary too?

But doesn't this also mean that its Mario's birthday/anniversary too?

Well Jump Man didnt live for too long, so I suppose Mario will be having a Birthday soon :)

Donkey Kong is definately the coolest Nintendo character (HE WEARS NOTHING BUT A RED TIE!). Here's hoping a DK64 sequel for the wii, where you can clobber Diddy Kong with the wiimote.

Donkey Kong is my favourite! (though DK64 was too much like them Banjo games for my liking)

Anyway whats this... I hardly ever get any PMs yet it says my PM box is 90% full...??

I thought the DK Rap was pretty cool and it blew me away to have a big song on an N64 game - Id played Goemon though so I shouldnt have been so suprised I guess.

Long live DK, Id like to try out Bongo Blast and I hope to get this racing game when it gets released, man I was so hyped about the DK Racing game that was shown either just before or after the Cubes launch.

I love DK rap, seriously, it's so freaking funny, I dont kn ow why people take it seriously.

I love the DK rap! I even have it on my ipod. What I don't like is the crappy remix of the dk rap in smash bros and donkey konga. It's nowhere near as good.

The DK rap is so awesome!

Congratulations DK, from the DK rap, to your appearance in the Simpsons, you were truly God in Ape form.

Sign in to follow this