Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Voiceovers

Razz

Why do no nintendo games have voiceovers? (or ones that could actually do with them?)

Windwaker

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Pikmin

These are just a few of the games that come to mind that really annoy me becuase they have no voiceovers!

At least Metroid Prime 3 will have them. What do you think?

I think voice overs would ruin some of the experience, to be honest. It's definitely not needed for Metroid. Samus is meant to be a woman of few words! Letting her run her mouth off would ruin that image.

With the Zelda games, i think everyone has their own interpretation in their head about what Link sounds like. Having a voice over would, again, ruin some of the experience. This way, we all interpret it different about how Link sounds. Most games have rubbish voice-overs, and it can sometimes ruin the experience.

With the Zelda games, i think everyone has their own interpretation in their head about what Link sounds like. Having a voice over would, again, ruin some of the experience. This way, we all interpret it different about how Link sounds. Most games have rubbish voice-overs, and it can sometimes ruin the experience.

I'm pretty sure Iwata said something similar recently. Also, Nintendo said they might consider doing voice overs if they can do it with some mysterious new way of doing it. What other way is there?

There are lots of reasons. VO is expensive, prone to be horrible, you have to translate into other languages (unfortuanately) and the text has to be written very differently in order to sound right. It also takes some disk space and money.

I don't mind really, for example Zelda is fine without voices it feels like a book.

Guest Stefkov

I'm sure I remember someone saying that keeping them mute will give the players a chance o make their own voices for the character. Hearing 17 year old Link have a manly/deep voice, and i mean deep, wouldnt have seemed right to me in OOT. i havnt heard any 17 year olds voices very deep.

but thats been mentioned.

I personally dont mind reading all the text. Im on playing Fire Emblem and that is really text heavy but it is so well scripted with plenty of humour and emotion that it doesnt bother me.

Also Kurt your Trainer Card is awesome.

Thanks, I saw them on the Serebii.net forums ages ago, then I was going through the net doing stuff and found a Tutorial for making them , and I had nothing better to do and have been in a pokémood lately so...

My main squad's going to completely change once I get to training though :heh:

I think Samus could do with a voice, it would give her more character. I think she comes across much too wooden in the Prime games - the 2D ones are ok.

However I think especially in RPGs it's much better to have text instead of voices. You can quickly shoot through it to the important points. For instance in Baten Kaitos I normally skipped the voice overs (except for Mizuti) although I didn't think they were bad. The problem is that I'm quite impatient and to hear a person standing still and speaking is quite boring when I can read it.

However games like RE4 or killer7 absolutely need them, you can identify a lot better with the characters and the film like cutscenes also demand them.

I wouldn't actually mind Zelda with voiceovers but only if they were restriced to certain script sequences. For instance Ganon speaking and such.

I watched a Zelda Flashmovie parody and there appeared Phantom Ganon and said: "I'm Phantom Ganon" in a deep and threatening voice. This has been very memorable for me to this day and I wasn't actually sure whether it was from the game or the film until I reminded myself that the game had no voices.

So in conclusion, voice overs at certain points would make many good Nintendo games feel even more epic and immersive but a complete voiceover is unneccesary.

I personally don't like adventure games with voice-overs. FPS are OK for the cut-scenes etc where the speaking doesn't really add anything to the game, but in adventure/RPG's with so much speaking it really would take away from the experience.

In RPG's with voice-overs I just read the text anyway without listening to the voice :heh:

It all depends how good the voiceacting is. If done well, it is very effective and improves the game's overall presentation. If done badly, it can seriously detract from the whole experience. RPGs don't need voiceovers, if written well enough (and backed with suitable music) the whole mood and atmosphere can be conveyed easily. FFX had a decent enough story but some of it was spoiled by bad voice acting, especially in the case of Yuna. On the other hand, ToS had great voice acting, but it lacked that killer story to go with it.

It all depends how good the voiceacting is. If done well, it is very effective and improves the game's overall presentation. If done badly, it can seriously detract from the whole experience. RPGs don't need voiceovers, if written well enough (and backed with suitable music) the whole mood and atmosphere can be conveyed easily. FFX had a decent enough story but some of it was spoiled by bad voice acting, especially in the case of Yuna. On the other hand, ToS had great voice acting, but it lacked that killer story to go with it.

ToS had great voice acting? I found it was rather good sometimes, but at other times it became very annoying (i hate genis and his voice). Also, adding voice overs ruins the magic to the game. If Link spoke and the voice over was terrible, my world would tumble :cry: