NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Domo Kun

The Musical Instrument Thread

I'd love to start playing guitar again but I always had problems when playing chords that at least one of my fingers wud always be touching the string below.

Does anyone have some tips on how to help solve this?

practice is all i'd say. Helpfull I know :heh:

I have immense respect for drummers, if only because i think it's an instrument i could never learn to play. They really have the most pressure on them of all the members in a band I think. However, I don't like drums as an instrument so much, much prefer the Sax or the Bass.

practice is all i'd say. Helpfull I know :heh:

Yep, also remember in the case of Guitar, Practice makes permanent, not perfect. So make sure what you practice is correct, can take a while to untrain yourself.

one word. Squier

If you are referring to the inferior Fender brand, then no

If you are referring to the Stone Roses Guiatrist, then still no.

Anyone here play harmonica, or at least tried to?

I'm asking because I was thinking of taking it up, and if there is anywhere that can help me, or a specific book which would be helpful. Also, if there is any advice which may be helpful.

Anyone?

one word. Squier

No never. The only good thing that came from Fender is the Telecaster that is it.

This is where I disagree, a guitarist not only has to come up with his part, he has to create the whole concept of the song, usually the song is about done when the drum part is added, even then there will only be a few drum styles to fit that song.

I see what you're saying. To an extent, it's true, as a lot of bands shape their songs around the guitars (and vocals).

Saying that, i do think the drummer and the bassist pull their weight when it comes to the song writing. If a song is modelled around the guitars, and if only a few drum styles will fit that song, then surely it'll be harder for drummers to be creative? If this is the case, then i think we should be praising these creatives drummers. I've always admired Stewart Copeland from The Police for his creativity, and i think he's a prime example for this.

Sack that, stick with the guitar, far superior instrument. Coming from someone who has done grade 8 Drums.

Hehe, you slipped up a bit there. ;) I don't think any instrument can be considered superior. It's a bit like defining one genre of music or game to be better than another. I think each instrument has something unique to offer to music, and they should all be appreciated.

My guitar:

13521_l.jpg

A Squier strat. I'd really like to upgrade soon, I really would... :P

My bass:

rickenbacker%204003_100_100.jpg

Rickenbacker 4003. Which I love as much as it's humanly possible to love a chunk of wood!

My bass amp:

VX3500.jpg

Hartke VX3500. It's 350W, so if you stand next to it at full volume, it could rip a young child's face off.

Obligatory band picture:

711247459_l.jpg

My band (well, half of it...) onstage at the Academy in Manchester a couple of months ago.

Personally, i couldn't care less if someone is grade 3, or grade 8. If they can sit down, and make up a rythm to go with a song, or if they just keep a constant tempo, and don't lose it. That's a good drummer.

I want to learn guitar next week. And, i also want to improve my bass and drum playing. I'm going to see what my timetable is like for Uni first, then i will be getting a job. After all that, i'll see whether i can fit in the time for some lessons. :)

I took a few pics of some of my guitars earlier (with my phone - so sorry for quality)

ESP LTD M100

6b5c1f02.jpg

Epiphone SG w/Seymour Duncans

46d547ba.jpg

Tanglewood

c5f5d534.jpg

...yes...that does says RIDES......long (but funny) story

No never. The only good thing that came from Fender is the Telecaster that is it.

Hmm, I played a Fender Stratocaster in my local guitar store. It was amazing.

It was also very, very expensive. I put it down very carefully.

I don't give a shit about musical instruments.

I can't play any for shit.

I think thats why I hate them.

If so, then I hate your Sig's

Cause I can't get mine to look that good.

Me thinks thats why I hate them??:laughing: :wink:

:horse: (<-Thats some funny sh*t)

:nono:

This is my guitar: A Yamaha Pacifica:

pacificahv0.jpg

Insult it all you want, but paired with my Marshall Amp I can do fnatastic covers of Foo Fighters songs.

marshallmg10cdtj6.jpg

Who was that aimed at?

Um...I'm not entirely sure, whoever it was that said that bass is a shit instrument. If nobody said that then it's my bad :heh:

Edit: Also, I'm getting my uber awesome Mustaine sig tomorrow!!! I cannae wait.

Dang...from this evidence, more people have Yamaha Pacifical than Squire Strats.

Hey guys, I need some help with my guitar

I broke my first string today (lowE) and am dead confused on how to change it. I have a replacement string and have pulled off one half of the broken string, the part connected to the headstock but part of the string is still stuck in the bridge and I dont know how to get that out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If it's a normal electric without a floyd rose bridge then it's simple, there is a hole in the bridge right, where the string came through. Now take a look at the spare string you bought, theres is a ball connected to one end right? Well this is the part that's still stuck inside your bridge, so get something long and thin, like a piece of wire, or even the part of the string thats broken off, and push it down the hole, and the rest of the string should come out of the opening at the back of your guitar. You then thread the new string through the hole, the side without the ball first, and thread it over the nut and through the tuning keys. Then tighten it until it's kinda in tune. After this, give your string a good tug, pretty damn hard to stretch it (don't worry, it won't break) and tighten it until its in tune.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say this:

Telecasters are the worst guitars on the planet, and may actually be the spawn of Satan himself, of course, seeing as it's a guitar, that may actually be a good thing, so you can feel free to ignore my second point.

If it's a normal electric without a floyd rose bridge then it's simple, there is a hole in the bridge right, where the string came through. Now take a look at the spare string you bought, theres is a ball connected to one end right? Well this is the part that's still stuck inside your bridge, so get something long and thin, like a piece of wire, or even the part of the string thats broken off, and push it down the hole, and the rest of the string should come out of the opening at the back of your guitar. You then thread the new string through the hole, the side without the ball first, and thread it over the nut and through the tuning keys. Then tighten it until it's kinda in tune. After this, give your string a good tug, pretty damn hard to stretch it (don't worry, it won't break) and tighten it until its in tune.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go.

Glad I could help :wink:

I took a few pics of some of my guitars earlier (with my phone - so sorry for quality)

ESP LTD M100

6b5c1f02.jpg

Yooo, how does the Esp play then? My mate has the M-50 which he found for £95 at a garage sale funnily enough. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, pretty nice combo, what pickups it got?

My Esp Dv8-r's arriving tomoz, good thing I didn't buy it myself :heh:, costs a fortune.

PLays really really fast! Its got a micro thin neck. I only have ESP pickups in it at the moment but Im thinking about going the EMG route.......probably passive though as active EMG's are shit expensive here.

dammit! whilst trying to replace the string, I couldn't manage to wrap it around the roller tight enough and the string ended up breaking :(

Whaaat? I't broke just after that? That's some pissweak strings you got there, which ones did you buy? I'd always go for the rotosounds. Anyway, check it again, are you sure it's broken or did it just come off the coil real hard?

yea it broke, im just using the ones that came with it. What did I do wrong?

was I supposed to wrap the string around the roller about 3/4 times myself and then push the string through the hole?

Sign in to follow this