N-Europe

Eternal Darkness Trilogy - May we yet get to see it?

YenRug

I doubt we'll see any more of Eternal Darkness. Silicon Knights are unlikely to release it as a Nintendo exclusive and Nintendo are unlikely to part with their portion of the rights.

Only way i can see it is if Microsoft buy Silicon Knights, in this case Nintendo would sell them the rights that they own

In the end, it's not horsepower, but sales that win. If Nintendo sells 100 million Wii's worldwide and gets the biggest install base, chances are that Silicon Knights might just develop it anyway. You'll see their turn-around from the moment the money looks greener on the other side. They say it's horsepower, then they'll say it's gameplay. It's just keeping up appearances in this industry - so Dyack wnet to 360 because Wii didn't offer enough horsepower. He'll be back when Wii offers the largest install base.

And maybe we can see the Trilogy becoming reality.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love ED, I doubt we'll be seing it soon or on a Nintendo console.

A comic book or show however would rock my socks. Or even a movie.

didn't somebody get the rights to a film version when it first came out?!

quick look at wikipedia shows this:

In 2002, Nintendo and Hypnotic, a film entertainment company, established a filmmaking contest in which contestants submitted ideas that would be later funded into short films if selected. The contest looked for ideas that evoke the same kind of psychological horror that the game intends to evoke. Ten finalists were selected and were granted $2000 each to produce their respective short films. The grand prize for the contest was $20,000, and was selected by a panel of industrial experts. The finalists were unveiled between May 23 and July 4, 2002. A second prize, the "Viewer's Choice Award", was awarded on the basis of its popularity among the online audience.

The grand prize winner of the contest was Patrick Daughters, for the film Unloved. The viewer's choice award went to the film Cutting Room Floor, by Tyler Spangler and Michael Cioni. Other videos featured on the official website included:

* Article Number One by Julian Cautherley

* Dinner with Kip by Chris Schwartz

* Del by Chris Milnes

* Suburban Nightmare by Sean Heflin and Christopher Reves

* Darkness Visible by David McMillan

* Corner of the Eye by Peter Hunziker

* Carnal Noise by Francisco Aliwalas

* << (pronounced "rewind") by Rich Gallup

As said before, the films were not directly based on the Eternal Darkness characters or storyline, but inspired by the psychological horror themes in the game.

more of a competition and as it says at the bottom only inspired by. I'm sure somebody got the rights for both a film and a mini series....

• 3 months later...

Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights:

NWR: And, following up on the question about the Wii, since Silicon Knights is an independent developer, and you’re contracting with multiple publishers, currently Microsoft and Sega, do you think there is a point in the future where you might consider doing a project on the Wii? Or is the technology of the Wii such that you really couldn’t consider that possibility until Nintendo announces something like a Wii 2.0 that would have more advanced graphics capabilities?

Dyack: Well, to answer the first question, we’d consider working on the Wii today, we’d consider working on the Wii immediately, and is there a possibility of us working on the Wii, yeah, absolutely. I think that it depends on the type of game we’re trying to make, but I'd say the possibility is very high. I think from a perspective of "What’s going to happen?" it's the timing and the project and how we feel about what we’re working on, does it fit? If it fits, we’ll do it without question. The Wii is clearly very successful and it’s a great console and it wouldn’t make any sense for us not to consider it. We would always consider it. And, you know, time will tell in the future, if and when we have something to announce on the Nintendo, you guys will be one of the first we come to.

Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=14049

Cool Dyack, now shut up and do the game, preferably called Eternal Darkness 2: Sanity's Redemption.

They signed an official deal with Microsoft for a Too Human Trilogy first. We'll have to wait for the ED trilogy as Too Human 1 is only out next year (after being in development for about 10 years now.)

Damn Americans. Damn Resident Evil Remake.

Eternal Darkness was not a big seller on Gamecube (which arseholes chose not to buy this game?!). Its sold reasonably well in Europe, but failed to win an audience in the States, possibly due to the perceived similarities between it and RE Remake (although the games are quite different) and a lack of advertising by the Big N.

This is probably a big issue with resurecting the franchise - where would it sell more? Wii? Xbox 360 or PS3? Silicon Knights are also keen on horsepower which would discount a visit on Wii. That said, even if the Too HUman trilogy os release of three years, we'd be near the end of this gen, and Nintendo may be planning a HD machine.

To be honest, it probably only sold well here is because half the shops sp;d the game for a tenner for three years of the GameCube's life. It's just a difficult game too appreciate. I didn't even really appreciate it that much.

I would disagree too...Its up there in my top 5 GC titles and I completed it more than a few times.

I would be more than happy to see more of the ED world released on any console. (Wii or 360 would be most convenient for me though :grin:)

Wasn't a particulary great game. The controls were bog standard, and lacked freedom, and the puzzles weren't fun to do at all.

Not having an ED2 doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've had it since it first came out, and had to force myself to finish it just the once. I've had RE4 since November 2006, and completed it 5 times.

Enough said.

Eternal Darkness was a great game... since when did we start disputing that? Admittedly I only completed it once, but I still have hopes to get through another two times to see the true ending. I started it a second time but never got it all done again.

I sure hope that they return to Eternal Darkness, but the way he big Dennis says that it depends on the type of game makes me worry they might cobble together Eternal Darkness: Minigame Mania or something. :hmm:

I liked Eternal Darkness very much, but only completed it once. After I completed it, I got Zelda WW and MP2 so I couldn't be bothered to get back to it... I'd like to sometime, t though.

I really liked the cinematic feel and especially the excelent music. Also liked the fact that you play in the same areas but several hundred years apart. So it's cool to rediscover the same areas but a bit different some hours later.

• 9 months later...

Asked about a possible to Eternal Darkness, Dyack revealed:

There is a chance; we love all the games we work on. We don’t want to be pigeon-holed [into a genre], we want to be known for strong content…There’s a strong chance we’ll return to it, but there’s no announcements yet.
Source: http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Dyack:_Strong_Chance_Of_Eternal_Darkness_Return_13217_7557_0.htm

yeah that was a Sanity corrupt i had the same they gave a memory corrupt image on your screen

sometimes i really freaked out like when i first saw my Volume settings where changed automaticaly hahah i thought what the F*ck! :S or when you heart people cry and you saw 100 different faces in the ground stuff like that the game was a real masterpiece

yeah that was a Sanity corrupt i had the same they gave a memory corrupt image on your screen

Considering the memory card was corrupted while I was playing Burnout 2, I doubt that it was an ED sanity effect.