N-Europe

Have we finally reached photo realism?

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

my.php?image=comparison018mx4df.jpg

Left = Real life

Right = Crysis.

Have we finally reached photorealism? Crysis is out Q2/3 next year when we finally have Direct X 10 on our PC's. Can we go any further?

EDIT: Just to clarify, this isn't pre-rendered its using the main engine.

Guest Jordan

Don't forget that the foliage is totally realistic too, it moves like it should in real life.

That and theres active dynamic whether systems and day to night cycles ;).

It all looks very relaistic, but I think we are still quite far away from having truly realistic game world. We can move leaves, rustle bushes and destruct almost anything we want now, but I've yet to see a game that comes anywhere near the dynamic do-anything real world we live in.

Sure, it does look very realistic for being a 3D realtime engine. But is it even near photo realism, such that you can make a game which looks real? No, first off, humans etc, I haven't seen any 3D realtime rendered character look even near that of TV quality. And then physics, how do things react etc, I haven't seen a game come even close to reality on that part.

Sure, it does look nice, but we aren't there. Not even close, despite what people are preaching.

For me, real-world interaction is more exciting. For example, it was a very, very small thing, but shooting the lock off a door in Half-Life 2 was enough to make me stand back and say "Woah, that's cool".

For me, real-world interaction is more exciting. For example, it was a very, very small thing, but shooting the lock off a door in Half-Life 2 was enough to make me stand back and say "Woah, that's cool".

Shooting the locks off the gates in the "Facility" in Goldeneye made me go "Woah!!....COOL!!!"

:grin::bouncy:

Don't worry, until we reach photorealism in game we still have a "long" way to go. And it's not just looking at stills, it's the motion that matters the most. Once we reach photorealism, people will get bored of graphics and look at more important things.

Apart from the grass I don't think I would even be able to tell the differnce, man those are nice, I think graphic have certianly reached a peak, I'm sure they will get better, but visuals not by the same leaps that have been common in the past.

Why is grass the new standard by which games are judged?

On topic, im underwhelmed with these graphics. Whats wrong with videogames looking like videogames

Agreed, My cousins Phillips CDI was photo realistic and was shit.