NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Nintendo royally screw up Wii WiFi Connection

Why?

I don't get the big deal with online gaming to be honest. If you wanna play against your mates, the nintendo wi-fi connection will do the job. If i play online, I only ever play against people I know already. I never play against strangers really(except in Pro Evo on the PS2).

The wi-fi connection works perfectly infact. As long as there is one standardised friend code, then this will do the job well.

Because it wouldn't be as much fun to play against them without hearing their agony and pain while I mock them, and I'm sure they would say the same. Against strangers I don't mind as much but it would be great for team play and to hear some bad losers excuses.

The corrent Wifi system does it's job but it's too simplified.

I just want to be able to talk to the persons I'm playing with.

You can in Tony Hawk Donwhill Jam for the DS. Talking during the game... you heard me. Ans that's on the DS. Why is everyone gettong annoyed at Nintendo? You don't miss out that much and adding voice over IP is totally up to the developer.

But still I hope there is a unified friend code. Maybe the Wii can store all of your friend codes and then exchange all when you exchange one? Beauty of connect 24 eh?

I'm not too bothered with online play...obviously I wouldn't mind having it but I think I can survive perfectly well without it. If you want a good online experience, then get a 360. Thats what I'll be doing. :smile:

Personally, I can't see why a basic and free service like DS WiFI can't be offered as standard; and a 'premium online community' offered by monthly/annual subscription.

With a subscription service, paying by card the cardholder SHOULD/WOULD become responsible for children's play.

I personally would like a more XBL-like service for ME. For my daughter, i'd like an anonymous service.

I was really hoping they wouldn't use the same system as the DS... what can i say, i'm gutted :cry:

What if you just want to play against one friend or find a friend to play against. You have to be playing the same game at the same time and then connected to nintendo wfc and waiting for them which is just ridiculous if you dont even know the people! It's bollocks! Big hairy ones! GRRRRR! :mad:

I want to be connected to wfc as soon as i wake my Wii up. Take a look at my friend list and maybe chat and see if they want to play a game of something. Even linking DS to Wii and using a pictochat type method to chat would do for me! How about you just get rid of the friend code and just have your own personal Wii code that is unique to every Wii system made. Even that would be an improvment grr...... rant over ::shrug:

oh and btw, i would pay for a premium service too

Hang on, Smowza. :) If I remember correctly, when Nintendo talked about Connect24 (the Wii's internet connection), they mentioned something about an Xbox Live-like feature of having message boxes pop up when someone sends you something - no matter what game you are playing (or even if you're playing anything at all).

At the very least, that could point at an universal ID. Hopefully with the persistent connection, Nintendo will allow you to see what your friends are playing. I also think you would need to set up an account to pay for download games, which could be tied to your universal game ID.

Anyway, I'll wait and see when Nintendo reveal more details about Connect24 and online gaming. Surely integration should help with their aims of making the Wii easy to use.

I was really hoping they wouldn't use the same system as the DS... what can i say, i'm gutted :cry:

What if you just want to play against one friend or find a friend to play against. You have to be playing the same game at the same time and then connected to nintendo wfc and waiting for them which is just ridiculous if you dont even know the people! It's bollocks! Big hairy ones! GRRRRR! :mad:

That doesn't make any sense. So you need to be online and playing and so does your friend in order to play? SHOCKING!

i meant you have to be playing the same game at the same time... rather than just being connected to wfc while on the Wii menu etc, then choosing a game to play or chatting etc.

i want to turn on my Wii, See if any friends are online (cuz i hate searching for a rival as it sucks) then see if they fancy a game of whatever we decide. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE??

A revo-europe smash bros tourney would take ages to set up, getting everyone's friend code and all that, and the fact that they are so long makes it even more of a chore. Wii is still looking good, but not great.

Erm don't you think they would of improved the service by then?

They haven't annouced or said much about their wi-fi service so I'll wait until then to judge it. There is always time for improvement.

Nintendo seem to think they are giving us what we want but in reality they are just saying do it this way or dont do it at all. Talking about the big numbers in the conference just shows that they think we love it, we just dont have any other option!.... I love the big N but i can't support them on this at all. Which is a shame cuz i normally support them on everything :)

what about a sort of standard universal game invite (you just get a simple pop up msg inviting you to play smash bros for example) if they are worried about saftey. No chatting involved until your in the hosted game or something. Prob a bad idea but meh

its a very short interview, I think we need to wait for more details, also didn't nintnedo say a while back that the service would have a main page that would display new updates and news etc.

I think all this hate towards the DS online system is over-rated. It takes only a few seconds to add a friend code. The Metroid Hunters online system is fantastic imo and that should be the benchmark for future WFC games.

Plus, the DS online service racked up more users than XBL in a shorter amount of time. Maybe Nintendo interprets this as it due to being free.

I think ppl are gettinh way to much juice out of such a dry orange.

DS Wifi has so far prevented me from having all the bollox I had to put up with in PC online gaming, mainly from strangers. I've learned to like DS wifi system. Its lack of flexiblity makes it clean and tidy. I like my Nintendo that way.

And that's coming from me, who have hysterically invested in PC online gaming in the past as early as in mid 90s when I regularly clocked up over £200/month with BT, playing original Unreal multiplayer and later EverQuest on 56k modem.

Sure Nintendo's way of doing it has limitations, but it's a worthy trade off for me. On rainy days when I feel unsatisfied, I can always go play on my PC. In the end Wii is not meant to cover every territory. It's meant to co-exist with another platform.

I think all this hate towards the DS online system is over-rated. It takes only a few seconds to add a friend code. The Metroid Hunters online system is fantastic imo and that should be the benchmark for future WFC games.

Plus, the DS online service racked up more users than XBL in a shorter amount of time. Maybe Nintendo interprets this as it due to being free.

But wouldn't it be better if you just had one friend code for every single game? So you can see what your other friends are doing and message them to ask them to come and play.

But wouldn't it be better if you just had one friend code for every single game? So you can see what your other friends are doing and message them to ask them to come and play.

We don't know if that isn't the case though. Maybe there will be a universal code, we don't know. I agree I think it will be more useful.

And i'm going to repeat this again. To all those who want to be able to pay for an upgraded version, yes you might, but all those non-gamers Nintendo want to reach don't. Shown by the numbers of DS WiFi players. There would be no point in setting up the infastructure to have both systems.

For the same reasons servers will never be introduced, so you can rule that out.

Everyone's just overreacting again. Just wait until there is some solid news. And if it is like DS-WiFi then good, its made me play online again. If you wnat something more get an XBox. Simple as.

If they had a universal friend code that worked on every single game this wouldn't be an issue - Having an individual one for each game isn't the end of the world but it would likely be very irritating if you have a lot of online games.

I can kinda see why they did it.

Imagine an annoying person randomly guessed your code. Then they annoy you. any game you have and they have, they can annoy you.

I think the Wii should have a function where it asks "do you want to share additional friends codes", and you can name a player say "bob".

then there is a little option where you can disable them actually seeing if you are online or not in certain games.

so after entering one initial friend code you never need to enter another one ever again.

perhaps a function of connect 24 - it could update friends with new games you have.

0k so who plays DS online now? i do. is it easy fast and safe? why yes it is. are "non-gamers" going online aswell? well i believe they are.

Well i think that makes up my mind i will be just as happy with the same connection type. Go nintendo.

I'm liking the idea of having friend codes again. I like the system. And since it's free, woop!

Dah crap. I wasn't expecting too much of it really, but zero improvement is pretty bad.

I'm pretty sure it gets better later on though. I mean, Nintendo can't have built-in update support, a VC hub and an internet browser and not have a decent online play service?

I sent an email to Nintendo talking about how to improve their WiFi, it was very long and had many links to forums where people hated friend codes. Hope they consider it :(

I'm liking the idea of having friend codes again.

What have you been smoking?

I can kinda see why they did it.

Imagine an annoying person randomly guessed your code. Then they annoy you. any game you have and they have, they can annoy you.

I think the Wii should have a function where it asks "do you want to share additional friends codes", and you can name a player say "bob".

then there is a little option where you can disable them actually seeing if you are online or not in certain games.

so after entering one initial friend code you never need to enter another one ever again.

perhaps a function of connect 24 - it could update friends with new games you have.

What arse would do that? You could just block/ignore them.

Sign in to follow this