NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Nintendo royally screw up Wii WiFi Connection

Hey, you're getting it for free, stop complaining.

I would rather pay for a sevrice, then get a naff one for free, I don't even bother playing ds online much, it's not fun without a hub/friends lists that work properly.

All we want is the bair minimum of saving/messaging friend etc, lists of servers etc, players on them etc etc.

A very very bad move, and will ruin half of the online games fun becuase of it!

If it's atleast what the MP:H system is, then I won't complain.

I would rather pay for a sevrice, then get a naff one for free, I don't even bother playing ds online much, it's not fun without a hub/friends lists that work properly.

All we want is the bair minimum of saving/messaging friend etc, lists of servers etc, players on them etc etc.

A very very bad move, and will ruin half of the online games fun becuase of it!

I say we wait till we get more news about the sevice. Then we can all slag it off.:laughing:

Why do they continue with this Wifi crap? It isn't easy, the dongle uses shitty software, and I have to uninstall and reinstall it whenever I restart my computer due to my ICS.

Let me just plug in an ethernet cable for fuck sake.

Also, i'd be happy paying for an online service if it was anywhere near the quality of XBL. XBL is £40 a year, that's hardly breaking the bank is it?

Gah, I posted a huge rant and accidentally clicked refresh.

Basically I can't be arsed to post it again.

Yes it is free, but Nintendo is going against their philosophy of simplicity and safety by having multiple friend codes.

If you have one friend code it is simpler than multiple friend codes

If you give that friend code to your friend then you can benefit from knowing status/game for all games on Nintendo WiFi.

No decrease in safety.

If you want to lose a friend you just block them.. It's just crap and almost makes no sense.

Meik, PC world has routers for just under double the price of that stupid dongle, better software integration with Windows and server a variety of devices including your DS at a better range.

It doesn't say anywhere that it has multiple friend codes. I just hope they had ethernet, it's ridicukously stupid not to have.

Let me just plug in an ethernet cable for fuck sake.

The Wii is having a USB->Lan adapter for those without WiFi at home. But for the DS, it would seem rather pointless having a portable system that plugs into a network cable.

Edit:

Oh and it doesn't say there won't be just one friend code. I agree having multiple ones is irritating so I hope it's not like that.

The Wii is having a USB->Lan adapter for those without WiFi at home. But for the DS, it would seem rather pointless having a portable system that plugs into a network cable.

Source? I'm sure Nintendo said that there isn't going to be an ethernet port and I'll doubt there will be drivers for a USB-LAN adapter thing...

Source? I'm sure Nintendo said that there isn't going to be an ethernet port and I'll doubt there will be drivers for a USB-LAN adapter thing...

Here's your source. Can't get more official than this.

Hopefully what they have forgot to mention is that it is one standardised friend codes across the whole of the connect 24/7 network.

It seems apparent that you will need to register yourself on the 24/7, so what is stopping that from being the very same friend code?

6 months on, and I still don't understand why everyone hates Nintys wi-fi service. I really don't. It just, well... works. Jump in, into the game and out again after. Am I missing something?

I just want to be able to talk to the persons I'm playing with.

6 months on, and I still don't understand why everyone hates Nintys wi-fi service. I really don't. It just, well... works. Jump in, into the game and out again after. Am I missing something?

I guess it works well for a portable console, but a home console service needs to be more advanced.

If people can talk to me, I want some simple way of blocking them out instead of sifting through all the players in the game trying to find the cretin or muting my TV. An extension of the DS service would do me fine. It just.... works!

I just want to be able to talk to the persons I'm playing with.

Why?

I don't get the big deal with online gaming to be honest. If you wanna play against your mates, the nintendo wi-fi connection will do the job. If i play online, I only ever play against people I know already. I never play against strangers really(except in Pro Evo on the PS2).

The wi-fi connection works perfectly infact. As long as there is one standardised friend code, then this will do the job well.

Well even though it's sounds like an incredibly foolish idea, i don't really care.

Nintendo games have really always been about the single player epics or the frantic multiplayer games with your mates round.

I think the only title i would even be bothered to take online would be Smash Bros.

Just to teach those Japanese gaming gods a lesson or two.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but with friends codes you can either play with your friends or play randomly over the internet?

There's no way of playing with one or two friends for certain and some randomers?

I hope that wont be the case :(

All I wanted was a list of servers. Do they not realise that it takes so much more organisation to have a game with friends than just random people. Plus when you search for other people it hardly ever connects. I don't think it's much to ask to have a simple hub where you can host/join games.

I can't stand sifting through servers. I hate spending 10mins in Valve server list just trying to find a half-full server. MK was some kind of wonderful blessing - just jump in, and your in a game, always with at least two other people.

Also, to be honest, although the extenson of the DS network on Wii is, in my opinion, something positive, it's extraordinaly difficult to take IGN seriously as a full account of events. And if there's no hub, why does it have a "Home" button? Is that just for the VC?

All I wanted was a list of servers. Do they not realise that it takes so much more organisation to have a game with friends than just random people. Plus when you search for other people it hardly ever connects. I don't think it's much to ask to have a simple hub where you can host/join games.

You have a very good point Viper. Yet I still see where Nintendo is coming from. They may be trying to bend over backward making multiplayer something you do with people you know, mainly. DS style WiFi can still accomodate for random encounters, though limited, while still retaining the safety.

I'm not saying what Nintendo is doing is good. I'm just saying, I can see why they're doing it. "More organization" may be exactly what they are trying to establish.

Personally, I can't care less. I've been happy enough with DS's Wifi style.

Then again, as someone else said, it can be firmware dependent, leaving open a lot of potential. DS like connectivity may just be the launch plan, while they weigh their choices further down the line.

Sign in to follow this