NEurope
Sarka

Disaster: Day of Crisis

I think it seems very exciting, some bits take away from the epicness like the over sized food and box punching but overall it looks great.

That's the game showing its "arcadeness" with pride.

Japan first day sales

PS2 Super Robot Taisen Z - 270,000 :o

NDS World Destruction - 43,000

WII Disaster Day of Crisis - 10,000 :hmm:

Considering there was very little information available about the game prior to release and very little advertising, that's not bad for a first day. It could have done much worse. I do think that it'll do better in the west.

Considering there was very little information available about the game prior to release and very little advertising, that's not bad for a first day. It could have done much worse. I do think that it'll do better in the west.

I doubt it. There has been no buzz about this game what so ever. A real shame to be honest. Had this been plugged like many other games with advance play tests, previews, developer diaries as well as ajor magazine coverage it could have been big.

Was it not 34/40?

Famitsu Wii/DS edition gave it 34/40, the normal Famitsu (for general gaming) gave it 31/40.

More Famitsu's than you can shake a stick at. I'm sure there's console specific Famitsu for Sony too, and as said 'general' famitsu.

Because it's two seperate magazines under the same brand name.

But are they related?

It's like Future Publishing having specific magazines for Nintendo, MS and Sony but also mutiformat like Edge.

But are they related?

Yes, Famitsu magazines go like this;

• Famitsū: Weekly
  • Famitsū: Wii+DS (fortnight)
  • Famitsū: PS (fortnight)
  • Famitsū: Xbox (fortnight)
  • Famitsū: Wave DVD (month)

Yes, Famitsu magazines go like this;

• Famitsū: Xbox (fortnight)

That must sell like... 5 copies, and not to japanese guys, more like out-of-it tourists and importers.

By comparison... DS and Wii could have separate publications for each and still sell a tenfold more.

That must sell like... 5 copies, and not to japanese guys, more like out-of-it tourists and importers.

Not to mention the only magazine that get's moneyhatted :laughing:

Staff for Disater:

Director/Story: Keiichi Ono

Lead Design: Koh Kojima

Lead Level Design: Koji Hayashi

Lead Battle Design: Takaaki Kodera

Lead Car Action Design: Hiroshi Yoshida

Cinematics Director: Norihiro Takumi

Character Design/Production Design: Yohei Kikuchi (?)

Composer: Yoshihiro Ike

Executive Producer: Hirohide Sugiura

Keiichi Ono and Koh Kojima are also listed under Level Design.

The graphics engine is run by nFactor2 (the engine iNiS was showing off for the 360)

Here's a developer interview with the Disaster team. They seem pretty candid about the entire development process, and a lot of it does sound like a disaster.

Apparently early in 2006, there was a plan for Monolithsoft to make an epic game that would hit the Wii's launch. When asked if Monolithsoft could deliver a game in 9 months they were like "yeah!".

But as development went on, it was clear the American-disaster/action movie inspired game was simply not fun. You would run up to people and just hit A to rescue them, and there just wasn't much excitement.

So around September and October 2006, the decision was made to put the game on hold. They canned the work they had done so far, and reviewed all the elements of the game so far. They then came up with a new schedule and a new budget and restarted development again.

I guess the game really is a disaster for Nintendo, since judging by this, we're looking at a 9 month development cycle for the first version of Disaster, and another 2 years for the current version of Disaster.

- Development on the new Disaster started early in 2007 after approval from Nintendo

- The 2006 build used the classic controller, and didn't really have any Wii waggle functions, delaying it to 2008 allowed them to rethink the entire game to add all these functions.

- They want to make a sequel if the game sells well, but before they can plan for a sequel they have to wait for consumer response to the game and it has to sell well. But fear not, Monolithsoft is primarily a RPG developer, so they believe that the producer probably wants to make a RPG instead.

My excitement for this game has gone up and down and up again. After reading the IGN hands-on and seeing some brief gameplay footage, I'm excited yet again in this game, and I'll probably buy it, despite the on-rails shooter sections (not really a fan of those, though can't say I really dislike them either). But the sound of moving around a city which is breaking down, complete with crumbling skycrapers, does appeal to me.. I don't know, I just love apocalyptic themes like that. Movies like Cloverfield for example, where the city gest destroyed.. I think this game will have a great atmosphere.

I cannot believe this finally gets a release date and its the same day as Little Big Planet and Bioshock, so much to play!

I cannot believe this finally gets a release date and its the same day as Little Big Planet and Bioshock, so much to play!

Bioshock is so 2007.