N-Europe

Final Fantasy XIII

Charlie

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have died quite a few times. Leaves me wondering if I suck at the game, even though I thought I had the system down. I mean, when lightning and hope are partnered up in that garda woods place, mobs were dropping like flies, then when i reach the plant boss, it takes me something like 5 or more tries before I can take him down! Boy did I relish the challenge though, and the fine tuning of paradigm required to beat him

I've been making quite a bit of progress with the sidequests/64 missions that are in the game, im about 65-70% of the way through them now. Its really racking my game time up, close to 50 hours now! Guess the 80-100 hours time for a full 1000/1000 or Platinum Trophy isn't that far off.

Alot of reviews marked the game down for being linear yet I have to wonder whether they actually played the sidequests because doing these sets you off all over the game world. At the start it is a little tedious but when you get the ability to teleport to certain areas and ride around on chocobos to speed up the travelling process.

The sidequests also make for some great fights, alot of which are very challenging, especially as you start to hit the B and A rank missions. To add to the challenge if you want an achievement/trophy you have to 5 star all of them!

So for anyone who says the game is too easy/linear have a crack at the sidequests when your done with the game. ;)

If the trophies are hidden, can you let it be that way? Thanks. Spoiler tag details on sidequests too(enemies, locations, rewards etc). I want the experience fresh

Well over halfway throught the sidequests and you're close to 50 hours? :P I'm still at chapter 12 at 48 hours!

EDIT:

A final boss that can instant K.O my main character at anytime in a 20 minute battle. Nice.

Edited by Tales

Just slap some Cherub Crowns on, does the trick nicely.

I've just redid the last boss for trophy reasons and butchered the sucker in 3 mins! Power levelling FTW!

I've just got 2 trophies left to get ( dont worry Tales these aint secret ones ) I have to max every character & have every weapon/accessory, its certainly going to be a grind. 60 hours on the clock now. :D

Just slap some Cherub Crowns on, does the trick nicely.

I've just redid the last boss for trophy reasons and butchered the sucker in 3 mins! Power levelling FTW!

I've just got 2 trophies left to get ( dont worry Tales these aint secret ones ) I have to max every character & have every weapon/accessory, its certainly going to be a grind. 60 hours on the clock now. :D

Yeah, I tried with one Cherub's crown the second time. Either I was more lucky or it did the trick. Never bothered with Saboteurs much but with the final boss I really saw how useful deprotect and deshell can be. I literally dealt twice the damage. Beat him at 59 hours.

Loved the chocobo scene on Gran Pulse! How adorable <3

For the first time I had to go back and do some grinding to own Barthandalus. I needed to get Fang to learn Deshell and Deprotect, once that was done he was a piece of piss. 2 hours full on grinding to do that though.

Time to own the game before I get HeartGold.

I've only played this game for a couple of hours and it is seeeerioously boring. It's the very definition of rinse and repeat. It looks lovely, although the looks are spoiled by some really bad voice acting, Vanille's in particular is so unsuitable for the character.

I hope it gets better. If I can be bothered to put it back in again.

73 hours and 50% of the trophies(about 10 of them is probably done in effort to get trophies I haven't got). What I got left is consists pretty much of farming and quests. I will do it, but that's stuff I rather do when I don't have anything else to do. Right now I want to catch up on tv shows I have sidelined for FFXIII and start playing Picross 3D and HeartGold.

I'm on the final chapter now. Must finish it before HeartGold arrives!! It'll be a photo finish.

Completed it this morning.

How easy were the final bosses, most of the other times I fought Barthandulas (or what ever he's called) he owned me first time. But fighting him again was just the same strategy for him chapter 11. First Orphan was a little tougher but only because of the sword attack almost killing everyone, but once it was deshelled/deprotected and staggered it was easy. I wasn't even maxed out on the crystarium levels...

Managed to 5 star the final bit for the achievement so happy days there. And the final cut scenes were staggering, I imagine them to be a lot better on PS3 because some of the quality was clearly reduced by compression.

All in all an enjoyable experience, very very easy for a Final Fantasy game but fun none the less. When the credits stop rolling I'll post my time.

About 8 hours in, just got to the bit with the weapon upgrade system, and I'm a bit confused by it. I hate upgrade systems like this sometimes, I always worry I'll waste all my good one time only get shit on making a crap weapon!

I always worry I'll waste all my good one time only get shit on making a crap weapon!

I think there's no need to worry because there are no one time only components (well, I hope so, I can't say for sure).

I upgraded the second weapon (Gladius) I found for Lighting to lvl 26 and transformed it, the result: A different weapon that's worse than the lvl 26 Gladius -.-'' Need to upgrade this weapon now. But hey: Maybe after transforming the new weapon (can't remember the name) I'll get something that's not worse than a previous lvl 26 one.

75 hours in and....PLATINUM TROPHY GET!!!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Congrats :)

This is my goal, too.

I have so much left to do. I'm at chapter 10 and:

I defeated Cid Raines. Easy going. Great to see that the Crystarium expanded even more and all characters are able to master all roles. Uhhh, gonna love the farming that's coming. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this a fair bit now, about 17 hours in...

This game is absolutely awesome. It takes the good parts from FFXII (which admittedly, aren't many besides some of the auto-control AI) and FFX and comes together to be one fantastic game. The battle system is easily the best thing Final Fantasy has seen to date. Add to that, the story is actually quite nice and many of the locations look lovely. If anyone is still wondering whether to get this then they should definitely pick it up; the level of effort that has gone into this game is completely unmatched this generation.