NEurope
Ashley

Wii Hardware Discussion

Yeah whatever.

It's like your brain read the news and interpret it backwards man. The settings are on the controller!

haha, oh yeah sorry bout that! I just read it as Wii's internal memory.....

Cool feature!

Wireless Nunchuck, no rumble, akward to have rumble in one hand only...

Not really, imo. The Wiimote will be the real thing that connects you to the game, the nunchuck is just there to give more control options.

Wii-mote runs on two AA batteries, offering around 60 hours of gameplay. That amount’s reduced to half (around 30 hours) if using the sensor bar though.

I don't quite understand that. Sorry if I'm being dense but when you're using te Wii-mote wouldn't you always be using the sensor bar?

I don't quite understand that. Sorry if I'm being dense but when you're using te Wii-mote wouldn't you always be using the sensor bar?

The sensor bar is only used for the Wii's 'pointing' feature. The tilting feature does not require the use of the sensor bar. This is exactly why the GBA and the PS3 controller require no external objects for their tilt features.

Cheap AAs?

That would not please the customer.

The customer does not want to worry about batteries at all.

Also, I know you from somewhere Jack.

I think it is from a place with cars, gobs, bums and a lot of community.

:)

Famitsu rumours

- Next week there will be announcements of new Sega game(s), a new Kojima title and the Wii Gundam game.

- Virtual Console games are supposedly increasing in number and Yuji Naka's new game is on the way too.

- A game that's been a massive hit on consoles and handhelds is getting an original entry on the PC, and being made by a Western dev.

- A racing game being released at the start of 2007 will have a sequel announced at a game show at the end of this month in Europe (Forza 3 at X06!?)

- Parappa the Rapper is coming out for PSP

Famitsu rumours

- Next week there will be announcements of new Sega game(s), a new Kojima title and the Wii Gundam game.

- Virtual Console games are supposedly increasing in number and Yuji Naka's new game is on the way too.

- A game that's been a massive hit on consoles and handhelds is getting an original entry on the PC, and being made by a Western dev.

- A racing game being released at the start of 2007 will have a sequel announced at a game show at the end of this month in Europe (Forza 3 at X06!?)

- Parappa the Rapper is coming out for PSP

all this hardware talk is making my head spin like a screwball thrown by .. someone that spins the ball by a huge amount of force.

haha, oh yeah sorry bout that! I just read it as Wii's internal memory.....

Cool feature!

Next time I'm taking you down! :heart:

The sensor bar is only used for the Wii's 'pointing' feature. The tilting feature does not require the use of the sensor bar. This is exactly why the GBA and the PS3 controller require no external objects for their tilt features.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Nintendo has supplied updated Wii developer documentation to third parties making games for the new console, providing studios a means to access the controller's internal memory and speaker. This marks the first time that widespread documentation for these features has become available to third parties.

Studios tell us that the latest update further clarifies the functionality of the internal speaker, which was demonstrated by Nintendo for games like Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess at E3 2006. Apparently the Wii-mote provides a paltry 4,000 byte storage capacity that can be used to store controller settings and preferences. However, the Wii-mote's internal memory can only store saves for one game at a time. So, in practice, if a user saved their play style preferences for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to the device, the information would be overwritten when they attempted to do the same thing for Excite Truck.

Nintendo warns developers not to disconnect or attach the nunchuck peripheral while data is being saved to the Wii-mote's internal memory, as it may become corrupted.

Doesn't sound like much, but the latest feed to studios arrives as good news because it means that third parties formerly unable to use the internal speaker and memory can access it now, which only bodes well for Wii's launch lineup and beyond.

IGN

Sorry, if I'm late with this:

IBM shipping chips to Nintendo

Jim Myers, a test engineer, inspects a tray of Nintendo chip modules at IBM's Burlington, Vt., facility. The chips, tentatively called Broadway, will be used in the Wii console, which is expected to reach stores in time for the holiday shopping season.

IBM only says the chip is 20 percent more power-efficient than the first game chip it began making for Nintendo in 1999, which was called Gekko.

"Both the Nintendo Wii and the Sony PS3 are generational changes," said analyst Charles King with Pund-IT Research in Hayward, Calif. "They are going to be the latest and the greatest. They are what we will see probably as the next steps for computer gaming for the next five to 10 years."

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/09/08/8nintendo.html

I doubt the calibration is independent for each game, something's not right

I doubt the calibration is independent for each game, something's not right

exactly, its probably things like rumble, volume settings etc.

Tbh I would prefer an option to plug in say an SD card to boost memory, I think that could add a dimension, but I guess that would place a strain on the battery. most users are used to the current memory card setup now anyway

It would be cool to plug an SD in the remote, but it's kind of useless, since you can plug it in the Wii.

It would be cool to plug an SD in the remote, but it's kind of useless, since you can plug it in the Wii.

Well, from a point of view of a ssbm style stats thing I think it would be cool, I could go round a friends house, play say ssbb and have hours clocked up.

small really, but I think it would be cool. geeky perhaps though, and no doubt a source of confusion to the target audience Wii is being aimed at.

Perhaps part of the controller will be a controller ID, and using Wiiconnect 24 that data can be stored anyway?

the controller can be registered on Wiiconnect with a controller ID or something like that, say "p0e2tq567y98wiu43r1o". and data can be shared that way?

IBM only says the chip is 20 percent more power-efficient than the first game chip it began making for Nintendo in 1999, which was called Gekko.

IGN's article forgot to add word "power" to the front of "efficient". Now net is full of idiots screaming that "Wii is only 20 percent faster than Cube!!1!". :indeed:

Apparently the Wii-mote provides a paltry 4,000 byte storage capacity that can be used to store controller settings and preferences. However, the Wii-mote's internal memory can only store saves for one game at a time. So, in practice, if a user saved their play style preferences for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to the device, the information would be overwritten when they attempted to do the same thing for Excite Truck.

If that's actually the case the can screw the whole controller save function.

I mean say I have two games I play regularly. Then I have to write down the exact configuration or else I have a slightly different sensitivity everytime I play. :hmm:

And one sensitivity setup for all games wouldn't be that great either because maybe you want to play RedSteel lightgun style and FarCry more like a pointer.

Then it would be better to save the settings to the Wii after all.

I dont think it will work like that anyway... i think your personal preferences (control wise) will be saved along with your game saves on the SD card. It would be a pain in the arse if its saved and lost every time you play another game.

If that's actually the case the can screw the whole controller save function.

I mean say I have two games I play regularly. Then I have to write down the exact configuration or else I have a slightly different sensitivity everytime I play. :hmm:

And one sensitivity setup for all games wouldn't be that great either because maybe you want to play RedSteel lightgun style and FarCry more like a pointer.

Then it would be better to save the settings to the Wii after all.

This is how I understud it.

Yes it can only store one but the wii will be able to store it on its flash memory then when the percific game is booted up it will send the settings to the wii-mote.

Well it would make more sense:o

4 MB is a lot of space just for calibration settings. What about a feature in wich you send your Animal Crossing or Smash Bros save data, and when you go to your friend's house you just have to turn on the Wii and the saves are right there, ready to be used in the controller. You can take your smash bros profile inside your Wiimote without having to bring your SD card and everyone can play with it's own profile. This can be done in a variety of games in a variety of ways.

To bad it just allows 1 game at a time.

It's 4 KB... for comparation purposes a 59 block memory card for GC has 512 KB

It's 4 KB... for comparation purposes a 59 block memory card for GC has 512 KB

UPS, brain fart... That shows how good i am at math.

Well, from a point of view of a ssbm style stats thing I think it would be cool, I could go round a friends house, play say ssbb and have hours clocked up.

small really, but I think it would be cool. geeky perhaps though, and no doubt a source of confusion to the target audience Wii is being aimed at.

Perhaps part of the controller will be a controller ID, and using Wiiconnect 24 that data can be stored anyway?

the controller can be registered on Wiiconnect with a controller ID or something like that, say "p0e2tq567y98wiu43r1o". and data can be shared that way?

Good idea, but too good to be true :) Just admit it, do you really think Nintendo would use something 'complicated' as that?

This came to my mind just now.

Because the Wiimote measures things like tilt movement by itself not over the console this would mean that the Wiimote must also know the sensitivity setting and as long as it isn't permantely transmitted by the console the Wiimote needs a memory of it's own.

Conclusion: the 4kb are essential to save communication and not for player convenience.