Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Ashley

No, everybody does not win. Some people who don't want Sonic will still buy M&S, some people who do want him will still not buy it. People who don't want him will still play against him online.

This has got me thinking. Just to stray off the topic a little.

We haven't seen much of Inter-game connectivity, but from a marketing perspective, it's a really good idea. A game with the caliber of SSBB will sell millions, regardless. Denying the player a 100% completion unless they also bought game X would surely generate further sales of X.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome update today. I really wanted this feature to be in, I hope other single-player modes can be played cooperatively as well. And another tease by Sakurai at the end, another way to power your characters up, so something like a Smash Ball? The enemies also seem to have their own health-bar?

It seems difficulty levels are different as well. There's no very easy anymore and they added an even harder mode, Intense.

This could also be a possibility. Remember the Captain Olimar trophy and how you needed a save file of Pikmin on your memory and the next time you turned on Smash Bros Brawl you unlocked the trophy? Well how about, in order to acquire Sonic as a playable chararacter in Brawl, you MUST have a save file of Mario & Sonic at the olympics on your console. This way it'd encourage sales of both games. To get that megaton character, you'd be more likely to buy Mario & Sonic. This would be a good way of maximising Segas chance of reaching 5 million unit sales of Mario & Sonic while being of benefit to Nintendo and Hal Laboratories at the same time. Its a win-win situation for all. Anyone that wants Sonic in their copy of the game, can purchase Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, anyone that doesn't want Sonic in their copy of the game, simply don't buy the game.

I would hate that, as I have no plans at all to buy that game. If Sonic makes it in he should be unlockable but without using stuff like this. The Olimar trophy annoyed me as well, as I am a bit of a completionist. I got Pikmin eventually but it shouldn't have been necessary.

Hehe, the Co-op adventure mode reminds me so much of the classic Sonic & Tails...

And the rewards for beating the game in harder difficulties are back. I wouldn't want it any other way.

One more thing, Sonic being unlockable by memory card = very bad idea.

First and foremost, SSBB is an all-star fighting game. Why should we make a character exclusive for those who like him? Why don't we make Sheik unlockable only if you have OoT in your Virtual Console? Or Ridley available only if you have a MP3 save in the memory card?

Just because we don't like the original game for a character doesn't mean we instantly hate them. Pit seems awesome to play as, but I didn't like Kid Icarus. I'm not too keen on the Starfox series, but Fox is my third best character.

Petey: If the system you suggested ended up being in the game, and you wanted to play as Sonic (because he seems an interesting fighter), but you couldn't because you can't find M&S or can't afford it at the moment or simply don't want the game? It may not happen to you, but it could happen to many people.

I merely suggested that possible solution as its the one that makes the most business sense for Sega. Sega need to make money on their game M&S @ Olympics for the reasons already stated regarding the "specialty" of having Mario & Sonic in the same game for the first time. Sega ultimately had the playing card for including Sonic in Brawl, its just a matter of whether they approved on the grounds of retaining satisfactory sales for their game...

I merely suggested that possible solution as its the one that makes the most business sense for Sega. Sega need to make money on their game M&S @ Olympics for the reasons already stated regarding the "specialty" of having Mario & Sonic in the same game for the first time. Sega ultimately had the playing card for including Sonic in Brawl, its just a matter of whether they approved on the grounds of retaining satisfactory sales for their game...

Thats a reason why I don't see Sonic being in the game. SSBB is going to be big. It will not do Mario And Sonic at the olympic games any good if Sonic is in SSBB imagine

Person 1 :Hey did you hear, Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games is coming out!!!!

Person 2 : Wow thats sooo cool I am so getting that game with having mario and sonic in the game. Look at the advertisement of the game, where I go posters and ads are everywhere. This is a must buy

Person 3 : Wait.....Sonic is going to be in SSBB.

Person 1 : Oh.....Then screw getting this game I think we will just wait until SSBB comes out.

Person 2 : Agreed

Person 3 : Yeah

as both games are getting released very close (US I think have them both within a month gap)

Sega are going all out with this game. With advertising paying for the rights of the 2008 Olympic games.

It's just one reason why I don't see why sonic should be in SSBB

So from this we could conclude that the conflict of interest is too significant for Sega so Sonic is certain to be a no show (for now * see below)?

In that case, that narrows the megaton character down to (in no particular order) Megaman, Rayman, Ryu, Pac Man, Viewtiful Joe, Bomberman and Bonk.

Simon Belmont is a guaranteed no show. There won't be two Konami characters in Brawl...

*Of course, it is theoretically possible through Wii shop additional characters and levels could be made available to be bought at a late date as late as 2012, perhaps even with Sonic, once sales for M & S @ Olympics has reached its peak/maturity in its product life cycle, then he can make an apperance on Brawl, once bought and downloaded...

It's called hiring the game instead of buying it.

Plus you could always get a save file off the internet ;)

Not everyone has an SD Card. It's bull to have an entire character only unlockable like that. A trophy I can get over.

Not everyone has access to rentals or (as already mentioned) SD Cards.

So from this we could conclude that the conflict of interest is too significant for Sega so Sonic is certain to be a no show (for now * see below)?

In that case, that narrows the megaton character down to (in no particular order) Megaman, Rayman, Ryu, Pac Man, Viewtiful Joe, Bomberman and Bonk.

Simon Belmont is a guaranteed no show. There won't be two Konami characters in Brawl...

*Of course, it is theoretically possible through Wii shop additional characters and levels could be made available to be bought at a late date as late as 2012, perhaps even with Sonic, once sales for M & S @ Olympics has reached its peak/maturity in its product life cycle, then he can make an apperance on Brawl, once bought and downloaded...

You know, Sega doesn't even need to say anything about Sonic being playable in SSBB. M&S comes out in November, right? SSBB comes out in December minimum. By the time someone has found out that Sonic is playable, the sales rush in the first month(s) would've already been satisfactory.

The argument of "both games feature both characters" is null, since Sega and Nintendo have already released games featuring the same characters but with different promises.

M&S is an Olympics game and SSBB is a fighting game featuring much more than just the Mario and/or Sonic universe.

I have a hard time believing anybody is going to choose SSBB over M&S just because of Sonic.

About other 3rd party characters, what they choose to put in is their choice. The way I see it, the megaton character is Snake.

And who said Belmont can't be in? I don't recall any rule saying "one character per company". Just as I don't remember any rule saying "a character that commands differnet characters in the background can't be playable"

They could make it so a character is unlockable via normal means, but a save file from another game would unlock the character much earlier.

Now this is plausible. Nobody should have to buy (or cheat) a save file to unlock characters.

EDIT: Gaijin, that picture is awesome.

M&S is an Olympics game and SSBB is a fighting game featuring much more than just the Mario and/or Sonic universe.

I have a hard time believing anybody is going to choose SSBB over M&S just because of Sonic.

Believe me, there are many people who are saying that. My friends have said that if Sonic is in Brawl there really is no point getting M&S Olympic game. and they have said that they won't get M&S until they know in full if he is in SSBB or not.

Oh and Olympics do have boxing so yeah you can say that the M&S game is a fighting game :heh:

Today's update is the best since online mode was confirmed. Actually, it's better, as we already knew online mode was going to be in. This is a complete surprise - and a cool surprise at that! The fact that the adventure mode is actually a real adventure this time just makes it even better.

To quote kav82:

Me want, me so so so want!

Argh! My wishlist for this game has considerably been shrunk since the beginning of the updates. Now I need a tetris stage!

And another tease by Sakurai at the end, another way to power your characters up, so something like a Smash Ball?

Maybe there's a kind of special team attacks.

Where I live I have no way to rent Wii games, so I'd have to buy it.

Maybe there's a kind of special team attacks.

Or you could have some RPG like progression in the adventure mode, getting stronger as you defeat enemies.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!