NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

I haven't played this game yet, but do you guys think that Sunshine's secret levels are behind some of the inspiration for this game? I mean they're really abstract and pure platform gaming.

Three more to go. Two comets which haven't appeared for me yet (one of which is that Dreadnoughts level) plus one more hungry star dude.

Also, I've heard that theres something post 120 too? I don't want it spoiled, but is it worth it?

Just did the daredevil comet in the Melty Molten Galaxy on my third attempt. Not as hard as I was expecting! I think that Sinking Spire level is one of my favourite stars in the game, though. :)

So is Galaxy better than 64?

To me, it is. I think the general attitude on this board is...yes.

It's incredibly polished. I've definitely been enjoying this a lot more than 64, and I'm not far in at all.

Yeah really enjoying this game. Its very polished. I actually dont miss the big areas much. Seems to stay fresh for longer than the other 3d Mario's.

Another game i strongly recommend is Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction on PS3. Its just as addictive. Been alternating between both Galaxy and Ratchet. Its amazing we get two amazing platformers in one go! :smile:

Yeah really enjoying this game. Its very polished. I actually dont miss the big areas much. Seems to stay fresh for longer than the other 3d Mario's.

Another game i strongly recommend is Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction on PS3. Its just as addictive. Been alternating between both Galaxy and Ratchet. Its amazing we get two amazing platformers in one go! :smile:

Yeah i agree, Ratchet and Clank PS3 is excellent as well! : peace:

I think the only bit that Mario 64 beats Galaxy at is the castle is better than the lookout. Apart from that I prefer Galaxy.

Just did the daredevil comet in the Melty Molten Galaxy on my third attempt. Not as hard as I was expecting! I think that Sinking Spire level is one of my favourite stars in the game, though. :)

I did it on my first attempt which really surprised me.

4 stars to go to beat the giant spiky turtle again. :yay:

...I hate you all, I ended up taking like 18 lives to do it :(

Three more to go. Two comets which haven't appeared for me yet (one of which is that Dreadnoughts level) plus one more hungry star dude.

Also, I've heard that theres something post 120 too? I don't want it spoiled, but is it worth it?

Very much so. It almost doubles the length of the game and you get a whole new level after doing that as well

I haven't played this game yet, but do you guys think that Sunshine's secret levels are behind some of the inspiration for this game? I mean they're really abstract and pure platform gaming.

That IS the philosophical question is it not?

That IS the philosophical question is it not?

Well the levels are pretty abstract I mean, you see things that you usually wouldn't see in space and totally weird platforming. So in that sense, you can say it's like the secret Sunshine levels.

I think those sections of Sunshine are undoubtedly the inspiration for Galaxy. Like the toy galaxy, it isn't even set in space - it's set in a kids bedroom. Yet it still has all the gravitatinal, planetary effects. Think theres at least one other which does the same, in the atmosphere of a planet but still the attributes of being in space. Doesn't really fit in with the rest of the game, but no complaints.

Speaking of complaints, I have discovered one thing I don't like about this game. Those bloody trash destroying minigames. So pointless, takes like 10 attempts to do it and gets me completely fed up.

I think those sections of Sunshine are undoubtedly the inspiration for Galaxy. Like the toy galaxy, it isn't even set in space - it's set in a kids bedroom. Yet it still has all the gravitatinal, planetary effects. Think theres at least one other which does the same, in the atmosphere of a planet but still the attributes of being in space. Doesn't really fit in with the rest of the game, but no complaints.

Speaking of complaints, I have discovered one thing I don't like about this game. Those bloody trash destroying minigames. So pointless, takes like 10 attempts to do it and gets me completely fed up.

Yeah I got annoyed with that. Especially on the Dreadnought level. Tho it did take me a while to realise, you probably know...

aim the bombs for the yellow coin areas :p

Hopefully the success of this game might persuade people to play EAD Tokyo's other gem - Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. You can see some of the similarities between the two games - the colour, the variety in levels, the bananas (which are quite like Galaxy's star bits), the joy of leaping through the air, and that feeling that you want to play the same level more than just once, just for the sheer fun of it. I can't wait to see what the studio comes up with next.

The only problem is, how on earth will Nintendo ever top Galaxy with a Mario game? I really can't see how they can make a more inventive game, without it feeling like they're trying to copy Galaxy too much.

Ive been thinking about a theme for the next one. Maybe time travel? That'd be pretty sweet.

Layout/presentation/formula wise they've got it perfect, with the 40 or so galaxies/levels, and they just need to adapt it blah blah.

Cant wait, whatever it will be.

Got my 120, and I can say this game was absoultely magnificient. An almost perfect game from Nintendo which has very much restored my faith in video gaming which had been wanning over the past year. Completely this game has just left me wanting to play more games, it's sort of rekindled that love I had for them as a kid, just awesome.

This game was near perfect for me, my one gripe is that although it did get very difficult towards the end it the game felt slightly too easy, I'd have liked a small bit more challenge. Saying that the difficulty curve was great in that it prevented me from ever getting frustrated at the game.

I'll probably go back and completely this again for the secret at the end in a few months, for now I'll give this game a break until it's calling me again. I've no idea how on Earth Nintendo are going to progress Mario further, but it's going to take something very very special.

Ive been thinking about a theme for the next one. Maybe time travel? That'd be pretty sweet.

They've already got Super Mario's Time Machine :P. And it sucked.

But er, that wasn't a real Mario game, just thought I'd bring it up :D.

Was playing earlier, got my stars and fought the boss of the Bedroom, when suddenly I find out I can go to some other place, so I went and it turns out to be the final final boss of the game, was a bit easier than I was expecting but quite fun, also a fair bit sooner than I was expecting. I guess now it's just upto to getting the other 55 stars...

(oh yeah, finally found the secret one on dusty dunes too :D)

I finally got all 120. Wasn't the greatest endingever but hey. Also, Lugi!!

Except I can't work out how to play as him. When I talk to him in the Garage he tells me to bugger off.

Also, what is with that new planet place with the mushrooms? Can I go there?

I finally got all 120. Wasn't the greatest endingever but hey. Also, Lugi!!

Except I can't work out how to play as him. When I talk to him in the Garage he tells me to bugger off.

Also, what is with that new planet place with the mushrooms? Can I go there?

After you get 120 stars and beat the main game again as Mario, when you choose your file you can choose to switch between Mario and Luigi before starting the game. It's a little bar with both faces and a double arrow in between them to the right of your file's floating avatar head.

And I don't think you can go there, but perhaps I'm wrong. I wanted to go there too :(

After you get 120 stars and beat the main game again as Mario, when you choose your file you can choose to switch between Mario and Luigi before starting the game. It's a little bar with both faces and a double arrow in between them to the right of your file's floating avatar head.

And I don't think you can go there, but perhaps I'm wrong. I wanted to go there too :(

I've heard that's where star 121 is

To unlock the final star and galaxy, collect all 120 stars with Luigi and beat Bowser. Doing so unlocks the Grand Finale Galaxy, which is the Star Festival seen in the beginning of the game. Collecting the 100 purple coins in this galaxy gets you the final star.

Finished it with 60 stars. I'm gonna go for the 120 for sure, but I just wanted to see the ending. :)

Forgive me gamers for I have sinned. I haven't played this game in 3 days.Was out all Friday then over the weekend I kept playing Guitar Hero.

I'm sorry :(

Just finished it with 96 stars. I enjoyed the last level, although Bowser was a bit easy.

Now I'm off to grab the rest of the stars.