Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

EchoDesiato

It's not been said that it's been cancelled, just that at E3 it was said that it would be released on both Wii and GC in America...

it made no mention to other terrirtories, so for all we know it may well not come to GC anywhere other than America... but hey, who knows...?!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not been said that it's been cancelled, just that at E3 it was said that it would be released on both Wii and GC in America...

it made no mention to other terrirtories, so for all we know it may well not come to GC anywhere other than America... but hey, who knows...?!

that was a crap rumour spread by news hungry websites on a weekend. Please dont bring it up again. Reggie could only refer to the territory he controlled. The logic is like saying that because black wii colour was not mentioned by anyone... it will NEVER be available.

that was a crap rumour spread by news hungry websites on a weekend. Please dont bring it up again. Reggie could only refer to the territory he controlled. The logic is like saying that because black wii colour was not mentioned by anyone... it will NEVER be available.

I'm mentioning it again... there's no rumour in what I said!

I've basically said that it may or may not come to other territories. We don't know for certain, I'm still assuming it's coming to europe, I was just clearing up what the other guy had said about him hearing that it had been cancelled.

All the models have been reverse in zelda:tp Wii.

Plus IGN's Hands-on

Nintendo showed off an ever-so-slightly updated build of the hotly anticipated The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii at its New York event on Thursday. The game, which is set to debut alongside the console on November 19 (and for GameCube on December 11), is poised to be the best entry into the lucrative franchise yet. Unfortunately though, the demo spotlighted in New York was more or less identical to the E3 2006 version we played last May with a couple of notable exceptions. First, there's the fact that Link has become a right-hander and that second that players are now able to gesture with the Wii-mote to control his sword.

The latest demo boasted familiar stages: a dungeon and a fishing level. We've played them both before and they look largely the same. Still, this is Zelda so we gave everything another go.

The fishing level remains as beautiful as ever. Link and his female companion float across a giant lake as the hero tries his hand at reeling in a big one. Players merely hit the B trigger to toggle between canoeing and fishing modes. When Link is set to canoeing, he can gracefully paddle around the lake. His canoe is controlled with the analog stick on the nunchuck unit. Gamers simply tap the B trigger again to trigger the fishing mechanic, at which point Link stops paddling and readies his fishing rod instead.

Nintendo's new controller is, of course, a perfect fit for the fishing option in the game. Gamers merely hold down the Wii-mote's A button, pull the pointer back and then cast it forward as they would if they were really out there doing it. Wide, exaggerated gestures will work just fine, but players who would prefer minimal movements can choose simple flicks of the wrist to do the same thing. The Wii-mote is indiscriminate in the way that it processes motion. The controller rumbles to let players know that they've cast a line. Bigger and faster motions will cause the line to travel farther and vice versa.

Once the line has been cast, gamers can choose to lure a fish in by wiggling the Wii-mote left and right, which in turn wiggles the bait and hook.

The water in the demo is graphically gorgeous, shimmering realistically and brought to life with transparencies and lighting effects. In most ways it looks better than the water in Super Mario Sunshine. Fish, which swim fluidly about just underneath the lake, are perfectly visible as they move about and draw closer to the line. When one finally bites, players will want to both pull back on the Wii-mote and then make an inward reeling motion with the nunchuck attachment. The Wii-mote will buzz as soon as a fish is hooked, adding a sense of feedback to the experience.

Zelda's fishing mode is stellar and more engaging than ever before. Gamers will find themselves instinctively pulling up on the Wii-mote, which represents the rod, and reeling fish in with the nunchuck as quickly as possible. Just because Link has hooked a fish, however, does not mean it's a done deal. Occasionally, gamers will have to simultaneously hit both the A button and B trigger on the Wii-mote to keep a fish from breaking free. Several fish escaped our grasp before we wised up and eventually nabbed ad 24-pounder.

Link is unable to drop from his boat in the fishing demo, but he will be able to swim at just about any point and everywhere in the final version of the game, we're told.

Of course, the other demo is the dungeon level, which is really an exploration area that teaches gamers the basics of using items such as a sword, boomerang and bow and arrow, among other things. Items are assigned to the Wii-mote's D-Pad and can be accessed instantaneously by tapping in any direction. Gamers can also select additional goodies from an items menu, which can be navigated with the pointer itself. The functionality works very well.

The bow and arrow are much easier to use because the process of firing arrows is no longer clumsily relegated to the D-Pad on the Wii-mote. At last year's E3, every time we fired a bow off with the D-Pad, we would re-shift our hand to do it and lose our aim, which usually resulted in our arrows flying far off of our intended targets. Players still aim Link's bow with the Wii-mote -- and this, too, is more refined -- but arrows are now fired with the B-trigger, which feels much more responsive and accurate.

Naturally, though, the biggest addition to the demo is the new sword-fighting mechanic. In a truth that will undoubtedly annoy some die-hard Nintendo fans, Link is a right-hander now. Nintendo chose to go this route because it feels much more natural to swing the character's arm with the Wii-mote, which is typically gripped in the right hand and the nunchuck in the left. Once Link has an enemy locked, gamers simply swipe the pointer to and fro, causing the character to whip out his blade and go to work. The slicing mechanic is not one-to-one, which means that it feels nothing like holding and swinging a baseball bat in Wii Sports Baseball, for instance. Rather, if players gesture a swipe, Link will also swipe his sword - but it may not be in the same direction. We motioned several up and down swipes and occasionally Linked sliced sideways anyway. This is not particularly bothersome because the overall control method still feels very solid, but it's noteworthy all the same. Taking the Wii-mote and jamming it forward will cause Link to thrust his sword forward. There's certainly a lot of potential in place. As with fishing, gamers are free to flail their arms into the air or to gesture with minimal wrist flicks and both suffice.

Twilight Princess continues to impress us with its scope and we're beginning to see the Wii incarnation take shape with the most recent control scheme. Now we want to play a demo that lasts for more than 20 minutes at a time. So Nintendo, if you're reading, feel free to send us the final version - and while you're at it, ship us a couple Wii consoles, too.

Videos.

. . . . . . . . . .

*drools*

this will be the best game ever made-and the Wii version shall be the best version.

it makes alot of sense to use Wii controls especially for the sword strikes and hookshot etc etc etc the only thing i can see is a problem is the bow and arrow being too sensitive-perhaps some kind of lock on or auto-aim would be better and easier to use but apart from that this game shows why we all love nintendo and why they have such a loyal fanbase.

Now I know the Wii version should come on one disc. However how many discs will it come on if indeed it does come to the Gamecube

I don't think they will put it on more than one disc. Because the game will be so open to go exploring all over the place you would have to switch discs all the time. For instance if you're playing on the 2nd disc and want to go back to a location which is located on the 1st disc.

In RE4 they could do it because you never go back and revisit places on the 1st disc

I hope they add something extra into the Wii version, you know like a few more mini games and other things

i think the Wii version is worth it just for the fishing minigame never mind the whole extra level of imersion due to the wii controls

i'm looking forward to the Wii version a hell of a lot more than the GC one-though i will get both asap the Wii version just looks like it will play better. i dont wanna play through a game using the same controls as OOT/MM/WW again. i like the newness and think it will add ALOT to the game as an experience.

I don't think they will put it on more than one disc. Because the game will be so open to go exploring all over the place you would have to switch discs all the time. For instance if you're playing on the 2nd disc and want to go back to a location which is located on the 1st disc.

In Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia you didn't need to switch discs.

In Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia you didn't need to switch discs.

This is true. The worlds were the exact same on Tales of Symphonia discs 1 and 2, only the events and cutscenes and stuff were different. Notice that disc 2 is essentially just retracing your steps across the game world, watching a cut-scene or having a fight, then embarking off on another trek across the map.

Takeo I can't agree with you more :D

wooooo go me and my opinions similar to other peoples :D

i would've liked the GC controls on the Wii game but i can see why nintendo wont do it-they need to show Wii as being aplicable for a wide range of games-not just mini games and FPSs and sports stuff.