NEurope
Stocka

Xbox 360 Console Discussion

Guess I'm not getting one then, damn stupid world wide release. >.>

Sorry about that. :hmm: I totally agree though, the world wide release was stupid. In my opinion they should of released it in USA/UK in 2005 like Nov 22nd and Dec 2nd but left Japan till 2006, where no-one is probably remotely interested in it anyway. Therefore we would of had the Japanese stock, which would of helped!

Anyway, i found this and it's pretty interesting. It's a picture of Kameo,

SD TV vs HDTV. Can you spot the difference? I think the grass gives it away!

my.php?image=kside6yg.jpg

Thanks to the person who got it! Whoever you are.... :wink:

The grass difference is nice, but would I pay £1000+ for it, nope. I cant really find many other differences, other than the fact she looks more burnt on HD. I know its pics from a TV which are bound to be iffy, but it seems like a cheat that non-HD isn't much different than Xbox.

Not really much difference apart from the grass and more vivid colours, but then I guess the difference would be a lot more apparent if you were to actually compare the two in person whilst they were in motion.

(I'm just trying to justify selling a load of unwanted junk on eBay so I can buy that £600 Samsung HDTV).

Carrying the Torch for Xbox 360

As executive producer for Rare's Xbox 360 titles, Jim Veevaert was responsible for making sure the console's flagship title, Perfect Dark Zero, made it to market in time; and that it justified those lofty expectations. Next Generation spoke to the man in the spotlight…

Right now, his is perhaps one of the most onerous tasks in the game industry. The next generation begins next week; and it partly turns on whether or not Perfect Dark Zero is up to snuff.

"It's an incredible challenge," he says. "It's been crazy the past couple of weeks. It's been extraordinary. Getting two titles out at launch is something I have never done before. Rare is not typically a launch development studio. They usually say the game will come when it's ready. This was a big thing for them to get these two games out at launch."

Rare, in typical fashion, left everybody sweating to the end. Microsoft was forced to press the game before it had passed its certification; a gamble that paid off (see yesterday's story). "We have always known the rough date for when 360 was going to hit and so for us it has been a fine balance of managing the quality of the game and hitting that date," Veevaert says.

Perfect history

He explains the history of PDZ and how it came to represent Microsoft's hopes and aspirations. "Originally Perfect Dark was slated for Xbox. The game we had in development looked really good, but it was going to hit market around the time of Halo 2, in November 04. So we looked at it and thought about it and we saw how big it was and we decided the game could be fully realized if it was pushed to the next platform. It made a lot more sense."

He adds, "There is a certain value in a game being there on day one, against a game that ships three months later and we felt that this would be perfect. Given the opportunity to make the game ready for the launch of the platform we all agreed this was the right thing to do. There's enough content in there to keep players happy for months on end, and still go back for more. "

Big numbers

Shortages will not be a problem for Perfect Dark Zero. Microsoft is pressing one copy of the game for every piece of hardware, with 700,000 going into the channel in the first week of launch, followed by new supplies, depending on the tie-ratio.

You can't get more ambitious than a 100% tie-ratio. "I feel pretty good about the fact that Perfect Dark is absolutely the flagship game for the box," says Veervaert. "If gamers are interested in first person shooters, this will be very good for them."

Veervaert's job carries him between Redmond and Rare's HQ in the tiny English village of Twycross. He explains his role, "I spend a lot of my time going back and forth to the UK. I'm on the Rare executive team, so I'm involved in product strategy - what games we are developing next, how teams are being managed, how partnerships are being managed, how budgets are being set. I spend about a week out of every month in the UK and over here I oversee four producers who work on Rare titles."

He says his role is to co-ordinate, oversee, suggest, finesse and, above all, keep everyone in the loop. "The executive team works closely together to review product, make decisions collectively and decide on strategies. I spend a lot of time getting everybody updates on where we are up to and the decisions we are making. Managing the integration and relationship between Rare and Microsoft is central to my role."

So what is the level of his creative input? "Sometimes teams will come back with proposals on the directions they would like to go and I'll be very active in terms of giving design feedback. I don't sit down and say 'I'm going to go ahead and design this game', but I give plenty of feedback on each of the products that go out."

Next: The Halo Factor

Next-Gen

HD isnt all that in my opinion, beacuse with the picture being clearer, yes it better "quality" but it shows jagged edges and things like that up more...

Yeah rushing a game out and skipping certification is ALWAYS good especially if the game is a online game (!= bug free) ...

Sorry about that. :hmm: I totally agree though, the world wide release was stupid. In my opinion they should of released it in USA/UK in 2005 like Nov 22nd and Dec 2nd but left Japan till 2006, where no-one is probably remotely interested in it anyway. Therefore we would of had the Japanese stock, which would of helped!

Anyway, i found this and it's pretty interesting. It's a picture of Kameo,

SD TV vs HDTV. Can you spot the difference? I think the grass gives it away!

my.php?image=kside6yg.jpg

Thanks to the person who got it! Whoever you are.... :wink:

its the same hd tv, i asked someone on OcUK

its the same hd tv, i asked someone on OcUK

aye it mite be the same tv but the HD option would have been turned off

Guess I'm not getting one then, damn stupid world wide release. >.>

Bad luck, I managed to put an order in with Woolworths yesterday and have today got confirmation that my 360 will be sent out on the second.

I may not be getting it at launch, but at least I'm getting it.

If you're desperate Argos are still taking orders on core units.

Argos online? If so i suppose i could buy a core unit.

Woolworths website still has core units too, with either PGR3 or PDZ and a memory card, better choice than Argos, plus you don't get lumbered with King Kong.

Woolworths website still has core units too, with either PGR3 or PDZ and a memory card, better choice than Argos, plus you don't get lumbered with King Kong.

King Kong looks pretty good i thought! Still each to their own! :smile:

Rokhed wots Games number? need to ring them to see if i got a 360

oops just saw the number at top of website, :D

*rang them, and stupid depressing woman on phone says " your not confirmed for release, but quite high on list so you should get one shortly after "

WANKERS!

the manager told me in woolworths that if u dont like the game u get with there packs then you can take the game into there store and they will change it, but the game has to be sealed.

Rokhed how did u find out u was getting it sent out on the 2nd as i also pre ordered yesterday with woolworths and when i spoke to a bloke ont he phone he told he didnt know if i would get it!

they did have fifa aswell but the have removed it

the manager told me in woolworths that if u dont like the game u get with there packs then you can take the game into there store and they will change it, but the game has to be sealed.

There's only two choices with Woolworths anyway, PDZ or PGR3, must be something wrong with someone who doesn't want either of them.

Bad luck, I managed to put an order in with Woolworths yesterday and have today got confirmation that my 360 will be sent out on the second.

I may not be getting it at launch, but at least I'm getting it.

If you're desperate Argos are still taking orders on core units.

So are Woolworths still taking preorders on the premium packs? And did you order at the website or in-store?

So are Woolworths still taking preorders on the premium packs? And did you order at the website or in-store?

Core only on the website, but you might get lucky in store.

Righto.

I just checked my preorder on Amazon and it says that I will recieve it "no later than the 24 Dec" so that's good news. Anytime before Christmas is good for me. I placed the preorder on the 30th September, so I doubted i'd even get one this year.

Yesturday i went round all the shops i could think of that would get 360's in. Sainsburys, Asda and Tesco didn't have a clue. PC World told me they weren't sure if they would yet they have a demo pod so i imagine they will the guy said they're not taking pre-orders because they don't know if they are getting them so that is promising. My local Currys also said the same as PC world.

I thought I'd left it too late, on Saturday I went in and put my name on a list in Woolies , Monday afternoon they rang up and ordered it for me over the phone, the premium unit and Project Gotham (which I had intended to trade immediatly (not one for realistic racers) for Kameo, but seeing the reviews it's getting I may well keep it and buy Kameo) and guaranteed delivery on the 2nd.

God bless Woolies if they get it to me, and I'll reward them by phoning in sick on Boxing Day, I'll be Perfect Dark-ing.

I played the Demo pod today!! Wow, it was weird to move about ok Kameo AND that war shooty! I dont know if i like Kameo loads, but it was only a demo i guess, and WOW i cant wait!