Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Doctor Who

KKOB

Well it does make you think is there a bigger force at work? As you would now think that The Silence, headless munks and eye patch lady are working together somehow, due to the astronaut suit being with The Silence at the beginning and The Silence did say Amy would help bring the Silence.

Well... that was all going so well until the "cliffhanger." :laughing::shakehead

That's kinda what I thought, most people had predicted it before it happened but now that it has happened, it just seems to throw up more questions than it actually answers.

If they are going to change the story with the Doctor dying there would have to be some big time changing event to occur since it looks like River is in prison for killing the Doctor as a child.

Or that wasn't the real Doctor that died, or they simply really are going to keep that story going about him dying (notice a lot of ors there! lol).

For anyone that missed it here is the super mini teaser that was showed at the end of this episode:

Well that was underwhelming, the Cybermen did next to nothing, the Sontaran was a bit of a joke, and I'm not sure what Silurians were up to in Victorian London, doesn't fit with what is known about them, but it was nice to see they at least played a decent role in things. The big 'reveal' on River Song was so bloody predictable, and means she is not going away any time soon. Not only that, but now there's no real worry about Amys baby, who cares what happens to her now, we know she doesn't die, and we know the Doctor will catch up with her soon enough. I'm sure the majority will love her even more now too, after all, she's Amys kid, the daughter of the best companion ever, it's OK for her to smugly make the Doctor look an idiot all the fucking time. This was a perfect example of how she ruins everything around her, apart from the bad misuse of the Cybermen and Sontaran it was a good episode, until she comes along at the end and shits all over everything.

Well, I thought that was really good! The mysteries do all make sense now.

I absolutely loved the Sontaran "May we one day meet in battle, only for me to destroy your pathetic, human body!" Nice to see a Judoon too (one of my other favourites). There were also some very, very rude jokes with the Silurian woman and her girlfriend. Not sure they were really appropriate, but then I suppose kids wouldn't understand it...

I must admit, I still don't understand why the series has been split into two. The only reason I could think of that would justify it would be for either Matt Smith or Steven Moffat to do something else (Sherlock?), but I didn't think any of the story reasons were good enough. Not that I'm complaining.

By the way, I did wonder if the Silurian woman in Victorian times might have been a cheeky "explanation" of this folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack

Well, I thought that was really good! The mysteries do all make sense now.

I absolutely loved the Sontaran "May we one day meet in battle, only for me to destroy your pathetic, human body!" Nice to see a Judoon too (one of my other favourites). There were also some very, very rude jokes with the Silurian woman and her girlfriend. Not sure they were really appropriate, but then I suppose kids wouldn't understand it...

I must admit, I still don't understand why the series has been split into two. The only reason I could think of that would justify it would be for either Matt Smith or Steven Moffat to do something else (Sherlock?), but I didn't think any of the story reasons were good enough. Not that I'm complaining.

By the way, I did wonder if the Silurian woman in Victorian times might have been a cheeky "explanation" of this folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack

Nope no such reasons it was in fact for story, Moffat requested it;

The BBC and Steven Moffat have announced today that the transmission of the next series of Doctor Who, in 2011, will be split into two blocks, transmitting in spring and autumn.

The split transmission is the result of a request from Steven Moffat to write a new Doctor Who story arc which involves a big plot twist in the middle of the series. By splitting the series Moffat plans to give viewers one of the most exciting Doctor Who cliffhangers and plot twists ever, leaving them waiting, on the edge of their seats, until the autumn to find out what happens.

Steven Moffat said: "The split series is hugely exciting because viewers will be treated to two premieres, two finales and more event episodes. For the kids it will never be more than a few months to the next Doctor Who! Easter, Autumn, Christmas!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/08_august/29/doctor.shtml

I think it's more that as each series went on, ratings dropped gradually as the weather got nicer (barring major media events such as the surprise regeneration cliffhanger in The Stolen Earth). Unfortunately, this half series got hit by some really nice weather, but has still maintained a decent 7-8 million average

Now, with half the series in the autumn, they don't have to contend with that.

Or maybe Moffatt wanted some time to 'rewrite time' if some of his 'plot twists' didn't go down as well as he hoped.

Anyone else think it's strange that the Tardis translation matrix can't translate Galefreyan, the language of its creators?

You do realise that the BBC don't crap money, right? They wouldn't go back and refilm half a series just in case some plots don't go down well.

It's clear you're the new rokhed00. Your hate for Moffat is similar to his hate for RTD

Edited by Serebii

Or maybe Moffatt wanted some time to 'rewrite time' if some of his 'plot twists' didn't go down as well as he hoped.

Anyone else think it's strange that the Tardis translation matrix can't translate Galefreyan, the language of its creators?

Why would Galefreyan need to be translated? Time Lords, the people who use the Tardis, can already read it...

Do you go to google translate and ask it to translate web pages from english to english before you go on them?

You do realise that the BBC don't crap money, right? They wouldn't go back and refilm half a series just in case some plots don't go down well.

No, but they could refilm the odd scene to make adjustments to the plot, is the second half in the can yet even?

It's clear you're the new rokhed00. Your hate for Moffat is similar to his hate for RTD

I don't hate him, I actually like some of the things he's done. But his obsession with River Song is ruining the show for me.

Why would Galefreyan need to be translated? Time Lords, the people who use the Tardis, can already read it...

Do you go to google translate and ask it to translate web pages from english to english before you go on them?

I don't know, maybe because it's a multi user translation device, so that everyone can understand each other.

Mind you, the Doctor didn't seem to be able to read it when he was staring at it earlier either, not until River comes along and does her reveal by as good as saying 'here, look at this, this thing you were just looking at, are you blind or stupid, it's my name'.

Edited by The Mad Monkey
Automerged Doublepost

One thing I don't understand is how this was really a cliffhanger. Going by the name of the next episode (which perhaps I shouldn't), it doesn't sound like that will be about the Doctor trying to rescue Melody. We know she ended up as River Song, so it doesn't really feel like a pressing issue.

But, that was probably my favourite episode of the last two years and Matt Smith has well and truly cemented himself as a great Doctor. I'll miss him when he leaves.