NEurope
CooInTheZoo

Playstation Discussion Archive

Time for Sony to unleash a Megaton...

http://www.vgoa.com/index.php?page=newsProfile&platform=Main&newsID=230

VGChartz Forums reported from a Podcast on AllGames.com that on June 11st Sony will be making a major announcement. Here are a few quotes from the PodCast:

"I can tell you this.. On June 11th playstion nation will be smiling wide, because they are gonna have something the 360 people can only dream of and it was real time!!! ...real time im tellin ya!! what we saw...we've been sworn to secrecy"

Im dubious about this after the whole Microsofts "MASSIVE" annoucement, still I guess its something to look forward to regardless. Some of the rumours flying around are to do with Killzone while others are getting a little too excited and thinking its Shenmue 3.

OMG MAYBE TO MIRROR MS'S ANNOUNCEMET.......PACMAN JR?

*Fans myself with a piece of paper*

Dont think I could take it personally....

;)

Presumably it's weapon change.

Rumoured announcements seldom come to fruition, so I'm not really expecting anything. If anything is revealed I hope it's something we haven't heard of before as opposed to a Killzone 2 trailer.

Apparently the update to MotorStorm that includes time trials should be up at some point tonight, by the way.

They have nothing better to do than improve the trailer?

Anyway I prefer the old one. The new one has lost the edge, less colour and contrast. Maybe thats more realistic but I've gotten used to HD=vaseline on the lens. Thats the way it is on the 360 anyway...

I love the Fox take on the story, essentially blaming Nintendo:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279055,00.html

TOKYO — Sony Corp.'s (SNE) game unit said on Thursday it planned to cut jobs in the United States and was eyeing restructuring steps in Japan as it struggles to keep up with industry rival Nintendo Co. Ltd.

Sony Computer Entertainment, which makes video games and the PlayStation 3 (PS3) console, announced plans in April to cut up to 160 jobs in Europe, or 8 percent of its work force there, and said it would look to streamline its U.S. and Japan operations.

Sony's game division posted an operating loss of 232 billion yen ($1.91 billion) in the year ended March 31 due to hefty start-up costs for the PS3, a spec-heavy console that has been losing out to Nintendo's simpler but wildly popular Wii .

The game division's woes are well known to the market and have done little to dent Sony's share price, which hit a five-year high last month and is up 33 percent so far in 2007, handily beating the benchmark Nikkei average's 5 percent gain.

More redesign rumours. If this info turns out to be correct I'll definitely buy one, and I think it could really... well, not turn things around as the machine is hardly a failure, but I think it would get the device into a lot more gamers' hands.

Sony seem very interested in downloadable content, so I'd imagine a PSP with flash based memory could offer up a lot of possibilities. Cementing the relationship with the device and the PS3 would also make perfect sense, and as a PS3 owner I'd see connectivity as a good excuse to get it on the growing library of quality PSP games. Roll on E3, I say.

More redesign rumours. If this info turns out to be correct I'll definitely buy one, and I think it could really... well, not turn things around as the machine is hardly a failure, but I think it would get the device into a lot more gamers' hands.

I'll be getting one of these when it comes out, but i wonder how far off a touch screen PSP with dual analogue nubs is? hmmmm . . .

They arn't going to attract people with a touch screen PSP if you ask me. Why get a PSP then when the DS has so many good games.

The only way it will get sales if it is different and if thats means it has to be the same as the orginal PSP then I think thats what they will have to do.

PAL PS3 Sells 1 Million

Sony has spoken exclusively to MCV this week about its robust PlayStation 3 launch – offering an official sales update and a unique insight into its software strategy for Q4.

The console was launched on March 23rd and has sailed past the one million milestone in Europe and other PAL territories in under ten weeks.

David Reeves, SCEE president, chose MCV to stress that the figure is for sell-through rather than sell-in and hugely impressive in a historical context. “Early last week we went through the one million mark on PS3. And we did that in nine and a half weeks,” he confirmed.

“That was faster than both PS2 and PSOne. And I think that the analysts out there will also realise that it’s faster than our brothers and sisters in the competitive world.”

In terms of software sales, Reeves claimed that around two million units of first party software have been sold into the channel, with Resistance: Fall of Man notching up around 600,000 units and Motorstorm edging past the 500,000 mark.

He also admitted that there has been something of a lull in releases since launch, but promised that “our big bangs will be arriving around September and October; Phil [Harrison] will be announcing these at a later date, but they will probably be in the arena of social gaming as well as more traditional games”.

Reeves was also bullish about take-up of the online service, revealing that around 460,000 gamers have already registered to the PlayStation Network.

But he refused to be drawn on any comparisons with Microsoft’s rival service.

“I don’t feel we’re competing with Xbox Live in any way. We’re in a different stadium. And with the introduction of Home at Christmas, we’re going in a completely different direction with something very entertaining.

“We don’t have our eyes on the competition in any way.”

www.mcvuk.com

“We don’t have our eyes on the competition in any way.â€

Got to love Sony employees and the only reason they have been able to sell that much is because they had way more time to stack up stock.

*at MGS4 trailer*

Wow it changed from too brown to too much gray :blank:

Got to love Sony employees and the only reason they have been able to sell that much is because they had way more time to stack up stock.

So your in fact saying, their good start was down to the impressive launch?

Since MS and Ninty couldn't make enough consoles and Sony could.

So your in fact saying, their good start was down to the impressive launch?

Since MS and Ninty couldn't make enough consoles and Sony could.

Yeah they did have 4 months to make them however Microsoft and Nintendo just wanted it out as soon as possible.

Hopefully Microsoft and Nintendo take notes from Sony for launches, it might not create any hype but being able to walk into a shop and pick up a PS3 on the day it's out without preordering is excellent for the consumer.

Yeah they did have 4 months to make them however Microsoft and Nintendo just wanted it out as soon as possible.

Hopefully Microsoft and Nintendo take notes from Sony for launches, it might not create any hype but being able to walk into a shop and pick up a PS3 on the day it's out without preordering is excellent for the consumer.

If Sony could have launched the PS3 in Europe by Christmas 2006 they would have, and whatever they might say to the contrary is spin. Not that I'm disagreeing that console launches shouldn't be rushed, just that I think the PS3's European launch was more pragmatic than pioneering.

They probably did want it out earlier like you said however they reached 1M faster than any other PlayStation and that is pretty good going.

I won't however be buying a PS3 at least until it gets some amazing games, it has good games but really nothing to shout about. It's cliched but FFXIII and MGS4 are the games I'm waiting for.

I won't however be buying a PS3 at least until it gets some amazing games, it has good games but really nothing to shout about. It's cliched but FFXIII and MGS4 are the games I'm waiting for.

Yes, I was taking a similar stance. Then my girlfriend went away for a bit and I bought one in a moment of weakness.

It's mainly being an upscaling PS2 for me at the moment, although I might buy some Blu-Rays in the near future. If the Little Big Planet Beta-demo-trial-thing was out then the wait for Uncharted and other 'holiday season' titles would be a lot less painful.

They probably did want it out earlier like you said however they reached 1M faster than any other PlayStation and that is pretty good going.

well the only reason it reached it faster is because the PS2 was out of stock for a few months after launch :)

obviously having more stock available at launch is a good thing and they learned their lesson from the US and Jap launches where they hardly had any.

Cathedral row over computer game

The Church of England is considering legal action against entertainment firm Sony for featuring Manchester Cathedral in a violent Playstation computer game.

The Church says Sony did not obtain permission to use the interior in the war game Resistance: Fall of Man.

The game, which has sold more than one million copies, shows a virtual shoot-out in the cathedral's nave in which hundreds of enemies are killed.

Sony said it believed it had sought all necessary permission for the game.

'Not reality'

The company said in a statement: "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is aware of the concerns expressed by the Bishop of Manchester... and we naturally take the concerns very seriously.

"Resistance: Fall of Man is a fantasy science fiction game and is not based on reality.

"We believe we have sought and received all permissions necessary for the creation of the game," the statement added.

However, the Church said Sony did not ask for permission to use the cathedral and it has demanded an apology and the removal of the game from shop shelves - otherwise legal action will be considered.

'Beyond belief'

The Bishop of Manchester, the Rt Revd Nigel McCulloch, has described the decision to feature the city's cathedral as "highly irresponsible" - especially in the light of Manchester's history of gun crime.

"It is well known that Manchester has a gun crime problem," he said.

"For a global manufacturer to re-create one of our great cathedrals with photo-realistic quality and then encourage people to have guns battles in the building is beyond belief and highly irresponsible.

"Here in Manchester we do all we can to support communities through our parish clergy. We know the reality of gun crime and the devastating effects it can have on lives. It is not a trivial matter."

Patsy McKie from Mothers Against Violence, whose son Dorrie was killed in Manchester, said it was time to stand up to the makers of violent games.

"I believe it's something that needs to be taken seriously first by the Church but also by parents.

"There's a war going on - not just in Iraq, but right here on our doorstep."

The Dean of Manchester Cathedral, The Very Revd Rogers Govender, also hit out at Sony's decision to feature the cathedral, claiming it was "undermining" the work of the church.

"We are shocked to see a place of learning, prayer and heritage being presented to the youth market as a location where guns can be fired.

"This is an important issue. For many young people these games offer a different sort of reality and seeing guns in Manchester Cathedral is not the sort of connection we want to make.

"Every year we invite hundreds of teenagers to come and see the cathedral and it is a shame to have Sony undermining our work."

Earlier, David Wilson, a Sony spokesman, told The Times newspaper: "It is game-created footage, it is not video or photography.

"It is entertainment, like Doctor Who or any other science fiction. It is not based on reality at all. Throughout the whole process we have sought permission where necessary."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6736809.stm

Heard that on the radio and watched ITV news and BBC news show it.

Load of crap. They did not need to get that Jessie Jame's mother involved, it has nothing to so with her. Yes her son was shot, he wasnt shot by and alien though was he?

They shouldn't be looking at the developers of the games and force them to stop making the games that 'corrupt' the minds of our children.

They should look at the children who believe games are real, they're the ones who should be frowned upon. The parents not able to control their children buying games that are clearly labeled as to what age group should be playing it.

If the parents allow it then the parents should be to blame.

it's just more pointless video game bashing by the media, I've not played the game but how many people are going to be influenced to go to the Cathedral and start blowing stuff up?

it's just more pointless video game bashing by the media, I've not played the game but how many people are going to be influenced to go to the Cathedral and start blowing stuff up?

To be more precise...who's gonna go there and start hallucinating that aliens are invading and that we should all grab guns and shoot them all...

Just a load of cock and bull

I've played a lot of WWII FPS games. A lot of them have sections in churches. No one complains, even though it's based on real events. In this case they are complaining that aliens in the past invaded the cathedral, but no one shot at them. Or at least, that's what it could be interpreted as. After all, if that isn't the case, it doesn't matter.

For once, I support Sony.

Oh c'man. It's about the only thing a Catherdral's good for. I've been in Manchester Cathedral though, almost every year, it's go a nice organ. Shame it goes to waste in that shit hole.l