N-Europe

Free RAM!!(if u have an HDD)

The fish

Want free RAM? Stuck with only 256mb, but out of spare cash? Then get a gig or more like this!(this is using a Windows XP)

Before we start make sure you have at least 1.5 gb or Hard disc space left, as well as how much you want to add to your RAM(the extra space is for updates, patches, documents, etc, etc.) Got enough? Ok, here we go:

1.Right click on My Computer, then click Properties.

2.Click the 'Advanced' tab, then 'Settings' under performance.

3.In the new window, click the 'Advanced' tab.

4.Under 'Virtual Memory', click 'Change'

5.Select 'Custom Size', then set the Initial size(in MB) as how little you want it to use at any time, then the Maximum size (also in MB)-this is the maximum it will use, excluding with your existing RAM(this is taken of your hard drive-I have an 80Gb hard drive and I use an initial size of 1500mb, and a maximum of 2000mb)

6. Click 'Set', then OK, then 'Apply', then 'Apply' again

7. You may now be asked to restart you computer. Do so if you want the memory imedietely.

8. When you have restarted, log on, then do Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager. In the bottom right corner of the window it will show you your current RAM usage and your now increased maximum.

In a word: no

it will make it faster at loading stuff etc.

and you can have more stuff open at one time.

just make sure you got enough hard drive space(My Computer, right click on HDD, Properties, look at the pie chart)

virtual memory is slower than regular memory. you are better off spending extra cash, but if thats not an option then this (I guess) is your best option.

you can always reduce it back down using the same technique. its not some hidden secret though :s

yeah right, it's because of the speed that we don't have RAMs of 300GB and more. so you won't notice much if you own half a gig of ram and add another 2 gigs on your hdd. it just doesn't do the job. you better buy 1 gb of real ram.

Guest Jordan

Virtual memory isn't anything new and to be honest its sluggish and pretty pointless. It takes up alot of HDD space and you get minimal proformance in return.

yeah, this is silly.

On a similar not, firefox and trillian make little read/writes every second or so that pisses me off as i have loud hard drives. Is there anyway to make windows just cache in the RAM since i have plenty to spare?

LOL do u guys know nothing vitual memory is very very very slightly slower than normal ram...no noticable difference. It's still free ram u morons

1. 'LOL'? That just completely kills any credibility you ever had (if any)

2. Actual RAM has a bandwidth capacity around a few Gb/s, much much more than a HD, so actual RAM is many many times better than this virtual shit.

3. Calling for example Jordan a moron and on a Tech Board is..moronic :nono:

4. 'U guys know nothing'. Right.

PS.

you

^You can copy that and use it freely, the word 'you' is then slimmed down to two keypresses instead of the incredible three it usually is.

Guest Jordan

What exactly is a "V2 XP"? O_o

Processor info =

Right click my computer > properties.

By the way, 512mb of ram isn't all that much. 2 gigs is where its at :)

Well, this is an... interesting thread O_o

If what you said is true (well, it technically is, but it's just plain stupid and slow and not worth it at all), then why doesn't buying a new harddirve and setting all of it as 'Virtual Memory' give me a SUPERCOMPUTER!!!!11!11one

Wait a minute, I'm getting massive improvements on Half-Life 2; it stutters nowhere near as much! Jordan and co aren't seeing much improvement because they have lot's of ram and their games probably already run flawlessly anyway but it's really helped me out with my 512 ram, cheers Fish.

This is quite usefull for me as I play Civ4 and the game has a buffer overflow (or something like it) bug so it just starts storing data in my HD. But as for anything else is quite useless, otherwise people would just stop buying ram.

I might try this, I've got a shitty 1.7GHZ and 256MB RAM, and recently I've been experiencing crashes dude to lack of memory. And as I wait to gather funds to buy a new PC, I might update my virtual memory because I often get the low warning.

I just want an opinion from the super techs (such as Jordan).

Obviously if I did do it, I would only increase is current max from 700MB to 1GB. Maybe slightly more.

It works ok actually, i think you'll notice a difference Ramar. It doesn't take 10 minutes for CSS to warm up for me anymore (by that i mean, doesn't jump a lot when i first start playing) i have a shitty 512mb RAM and unlike some, can't afford all the extra add-ons.

Wait a minute, I'm getting massive improvements on Half-Life 2; it stutters nowhere near as much! Jordan and co aren't seeing much improvement because they have lot's of ram and their games probably already run flawlessly anyway but it's really helped me out with my 512 ram, cheers Fish.

Counter srtike source seemed really smoth today after adding lots of vurtual ram (i set it to 1500-2500 (used to be around 700)), then I have 512 , and a 128 graphics card, my specs are pretty crap other wise, just a ati 9800 and a very lame 1.2 Gtz, so the more ram the better, o and by v2 i meant version 2 xp. :D

Guest Jordan

Its called "Service Pack 2" ;)

Virtual memory isn't much use for someone like me and i find it pretty slow and cumbersome... but if you wanna use it go ahead. But it'll slowly eat into your HDD.

PS.

you

^You can copy that and use it freely, the word 'you' is then slimmed down to two keypresses instead of the incredible three it usually is.

Well, sorry about my bad gramma, I was in a (very boring) ICT lesson at the time and had to make it quick before the teacher came round...sorry about the LOL though, I type fast and it seems I didn't let go of shift in time.

Twozzock you also need a better processer for a super computer.

And a hell of a lot of fans.

Oh, and Jordan, I play Call of Duty 2 in one of the best clans in europe, and trust me, virtual memory is fast enough, for what ever you want to do(I can't see what you are using that needs that fast RAM-it is fast enough for games)

Oh, and you set a maximum size to stop it from eating into your Hard drive.

Yeah, now we have virtual memory, who needs actual RAM anyway?

The reason why you think virtual memory is so fast is that background applications don't use as much RAM and therefore CoD 2 can use more of it. It doesn't mean that virtual memory is so fast because it's slow as hell if your computer actually fills up the RAM and then starts pumping data from the hard disk.

It's pretty handy to have some virtual memory on for the times that you put loads of work on your computer, but it's not like free RAM at all.

Counter srtike source seemed really smoth today after adding lots of vurtual ram (i set it to 1500-2500 (used to be around 700)), then I have 512 , and a 128 graphics card, my specs are pretty crap other wise, just a ati 9800 and a very lame 1.2 Gtz, so the more ram the better, o and by v2 i meant version 2 xp. :D

You think your specs are bad Ive got a P3 800 mhz

30 gig HDD(unformated)

MOBO for 1999with intergrated graphics

and 320 mb of ram.