N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Stranger than Fiction - 8/10

really liked it, Will Ferrel's performance is great

A Scanner Darkly - 7/10

weird film, like the style though, probably have to watch it again cause I wasn't really paying attention :)

The guy watches everything. You should see his DVD collection.

Conspiracy

It's actually kind of nice, it represents nicely the world of IT and geeks and it also shows both sides of the fence the "ZOMG M$ SUCKS!1! LINUX 4 LIFE!!1 OPENSROUCE!" and the corporate side of things. Well, at least until the conspiracy part kicks in.

if ur into the surrealistic movement it is ^ ive personally looked into all sorts of metaphors from the film, like u know how ants come out of the guys hand and when the woman is standing outside all the people are hurrying around her & ignoring her plight - those people's movements symbolise the ants & how people are just out for themselves... and that box the woman is holding is a pandora's box like feature... that eye ball by the way that gets slit, was actually a real bulls eye ball so that explains why it looks so realistic...

to me Un Chien Andalou is just fucked up for the sake of being fucked up and was a film done by people who were basically trying to insert the emphasis of their paintings into a moving image... u look at the surrealism paintings by bunuel himself and that film is basically those paintings made into filmic form...

im not a big fan of the surrealism movement, to me it was at times genius but its transition into film was just too random for the sake of being too random and as a result the films lost alot of interaction with their audience, due to lacking any real sense of story structure... but with that said, if films like Un Chien Andalou did not set the bench mark - then unconventional films that get released today such as Being John Malkovich would probably never have been made as that film in particular is a progression from surrealistic themes and heavily influenced by Un Chien Andalou...

im guessing ur a big fan of the film - The Phantom Of Liberty too Oxigen_Waste and altho i again dont particually enjoy it, it is definetly a progression from Un Chien Andalou...

the versatility of ur taste is definetly impressing me man...

You know why Un Chien Andalou seems so random?

The first scene up until the eye-slice is montaged similarly to Russian director Eisenstein, creating a logical progression in the scene. We know where we are, that it is night, the two characters are together and believe this to be 'real.' However, the eye slice is a call from Buñuel & Dali for the viewer to 'wake-up,' quite literally saying the way we see the world is wrong and needs to be changed, forcefully if necessary. The remaining film, quite possibly and most probably, has something to do with Freud. His book titled "The Interpretation of Dreams" was published only 30 years before the film. Considering the film is (supposedly) a series of dreams very open to interpretation, this could be a valid point. My first guess at a meaning is that the film was made to artistically express the need for people to change the way they view dreams, paying more attention to them instead of looking at them as nothing. That, along with your own interpretations, should turn this 16 minute movie into a 'personal' experience. And that's why I love Buñuel's work. Open interpretation. And by the way, most of your thoughts (your first paragraph) are simillar to mine on the ant subject, but that pandora's box notion... Very interesting and it actually fits quite well. :D

You should check out "El Ãngel Exterminador" & "L'Âge D'Or" also by Buñuel. El Angel Exterminador is my favourite film of his.

And about Le Fantôme De La Liberté, what can I say? Brilliant, perhaps, is enough?

Funny you should mention Being John Malkovich, it's actually one of my favourite flicks.

Fierce Creatures

Very funny film. As good as Wanda, plus you get the added bonus of John Cleese in uptight mode (unlike in Wanda). Kevin Kline's character is really unlikable, but hey that's the idea. This film is sadly overlooked by idiots with no taste.

Matchpoint

I was expecting more, it's a but overrated I think. Asides from the final part, which is very good, the rest of the movie is boring, predictable and unoriginal. Also, I hate the britsh high society, and no offense to you brits, but your accent annoys me :P Still, Scarlet Johanson is a Godess.

Having just watched Brick again, it has re-confirmed my suspicions that it is, in fact, one of the best, smartest and funniest black comic pastiché's of all time. Everyone needs to watch this film

10 Trenchcoats of of 20 trilby hats.

Pirates Of The Caribbean At The Worlds End: I didn´t go with high hopes on this

movie with it being the third one in the series (the rule of 3 :Þ)

But it seriously surprised me it was an fantastic movie, they miraculously made all 3 hours very enjoyable.

Great acting (Orlando Bloom was nearly mute all the movie) and fantastic humor and action scenes only two problems i had with it was that it was 3 hours long not that it made the movie less enjoyable but after 3 hours you kinda start getting tired especially in a packed movie theater with little to none oxygen.

But the ending made it worth, oh god how i loved the ending

Second:

When the voodoo lady (monkey island:heh:) changed to the goddess, maybe the special effect budget was running low or they were running out of ideas because changing into a giant and into hundreds of crabs wasn´t really a jaw dropping moment for me

9/10

POTC : AWE

It's by far the best out of the 3. One can only wonder the potential of this movie where it not so "comic relief" driven (except for Jack Sparrow's whole persona, and Larry, the limbless sailor, those two are musts) but oh well, gotta please the crowds.

Overall very enjoyable, a good cinematic experience.

I'll be surprised if they don't announce a sequel in like... 2 years, or so.

Not a masterpiece, but as good as crowd pleasers get.

7/10.

I have saw alot of movies in the last 2 weeks because we just got sky :P

Errrm gunna rate a few....

Just Friends - This is hilarious, the dumb hyper model makes this movie.

9/10

Just Like Heaven - I loved this, great story, although a little strange, a few laughs in it too, great romcom!

8/10

Bewitched - Nicole Kidman plays the part very well, but I personally dislike Will Ferrell for some reason but he did play his part well. Not bad, not great.

7/10

FlightPlan - Jodie Foster is brilliant in the film, the story is great and has a great plot twist. Very good, I recommend this to anyone.

9/10

Or we have different opinions/tastes?

Nope. Yours are just plain awful. Time has shown that and will continue to.

That sounded like a wise old chinese man had possesed me their. Still chinese man's views are mine too. Bad taste.

Most of the people in this thread have an awful taste in movies to be honest. Some of the ratings given to the most cliched filled hacknyd films in existance by some people throughout this thread have made me a sad Panda.

Pretentious film snob fo lyfe.