NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Angels and Demons

Thought it was pretty decent. Went on for too long though. Can't really remember the book but I think it went slightly differently (I.e helicopter stuff if I can remember vaguely). I completely forgot who was on what side and it really keeps you guessing, I was like argh I remember who it is now and got one of the main good guys wrong! :p At the end I thought it was over but no it just kept on going. Also a few bits that seemed not to fit. Can't really go into specifics because I have a rubbish memory.

OH! Also how they managed to do so much in such little time, I remember thinking that originally.

7/10

Notes on a Scandal

I found it both brilliantly entertaining and depressing in almost equal measure, therefore I'm rating it according to how it made me feel, I could rate it higher but I think that would be a tad overzealous, anyway it was a surprisingly enjoyable film.

7/10

Why would it being depressing give it a lower rating?

That's not how you rate films.

Bullshit, you mean you have to be happy to give films a high score? Not every film finishes with a fairytale everyone's happy ending.

Why would it being depressing give it a lower rating?

I didn't rate it lower, I gave it what I felt it deserved, I could have actually rated it higher because of the fact that it was depressing in places but in a good way... but I don't think it'd be justified, anyway I didn't give it a 7 because it was depressing no... merely because that's the rating it deserves.

Bullshit, you mean you have to be happy to give films a high score? Not every film finishes with a fairytale everyone's happy ending.

I think he was meaning that it should be rated higher because it was so depressing.

I think he was meaning that it should be rated higher because it was so depressing.

*sigh* well tbh I was wavering between giving it either a 7 or an 8... I just thought that maybe giving it an 8 because I found it depressing but in a brilliant way a bit overzealous... :/ Idk...

Edit - re-rating...

Notes on a Scandal

Brilliant and deeply depressing in a way that works to it's credit to create an absorbing and emotional viewing experience.

8/10

Edited by S.C.G

Hey now, if I went to a restaurant and the food gave me gas, then it gets a lower rating. If I get an epileptic from a club, then I like it less. If a movie leaves me contemplating suicide then it, too, is likely to be rated lower.

On the flip side, Requiem for a Dream is notoriously a depressing, sour movie -- but I can't help but rate it highly - Perhaps, Paj, you mean to say that if a movie can invoke a strong emotional response, no matter whether positive or negative, then it is a fine example of the power of cinema.

But then, I don't think you think that. Bleh!

Hey now, if I went to a restaurant and the food gave me gas, then it gets a lower rating. If I get an epileptic from a club, then I like it less. If a movie leaves me contemplating suicide then it, too, is likely to be rated lower.

On the flip side, Requiem for a Dream is notoriously a depressing, sour movie -- but I can't help but rate it highly - Perhaps, Paj, you mean to say that if a movie can invoke a strong emotional response, no matter whether positive or negative, then it is a fine example of the power of cinema.

But then, I don't think you think that. Bleh!

I mean what you're on about with Requiem. I don't think your examples before that strictly apply to film anyway. Films and the appreciation of them is a lot different to food.

Same with most art.

I find To The Lighthouse (which I recently finished) fundamentally depressing and distressing, offering little in the way of hope or salvation from the banality of human existance. However, it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever read/seen created, and is just brilliant. So I'd never rate it low. But then I find the way it connects with me/human emotion incredibly powerful and effectively put across as a huge part of the book, and the appreciation, as most would. But some (I know a few here) didn't like it at all.

I could never rate it low though. It's too brilliant.

I was left fairly empty and..like...barren after Dancer In The Dark. Why would I rate it low though? It was jaw-droppingly good.

If I get an epileptic from a club, then I like it less.

Something wrong with pulling someone who's epileptic?

EEVIL you made me promise I wouldn't divulge our night of 'passion' to the forum.

Paj; is art only art because it was made by an artist or, like a tree falling in a forest, is it only worth anything if it is appreciated? How can art be valued if the evaluator isn't aware that it's art? With 'depressing' movies, a lot of viewers will not be expecting to be tested emotionally, and will not rate it accordingly. Personally after RfaD I went outside, had a cigarette and truly felt glad that I was me-- that no matter how bad my life currently was, there was no way it could be as bad as the 4 characters in the movie. It's akin to the draw to roller coasters - why do people pay to be scared, to feel their life is in danger? It is the survival that wins out. With 'depressing' movies, as art or as emotional roller coasters, they only work if the customer expects it.

In that sense, then, it is fair to say that a lower rating means the rater didn't 'get' it. But, on that point, is it the audience's role to 'get' it? If they don't, then surely the artist didn't do a good enough job of steering the thoughts and emotions.

Thus, I think it's perfectly fine for people to not like a depressing movie; to lower their rating simply because the movie is depressing, because that is precisely not what they go to the cinema for.

EEVIL you made me promise I wouldn't divulge our night of 'passion' to the forum.

That doesn't mean the club has to suffer because of our... animal actions!

In that sense, then, it is fair to say that a lower rating means the rater didn't 'get' it. But, on that point, is it the audience's role to 'get' it? If they don't, then surely the artist didn't do a good enough job of steering the thoughts and emotions.

I don't get this. Just as an example, I'd expect ReZ to hate Virginia Woolf (or whoever is that divisive) utterly and completely and give it 0 or something. But how is that her fault, his not getting it? The viewer/reader has to take some responsibility for appreciation.

Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick...

As mentioned in another topic, Bicentennial Man makes me cry, but I still love it...

Shit, I want to watch it now.

As mentioned in another topic, Bicentennial Man makes me cry, but I still love it...

Shit, I want to watch it now.

What you just said makes it sound like you're crying at how bad it is! ::shrug:

Never seen it, is it the one with Robin Williams?

What you just said makes it sound like you're crying at how bad it is! ::shrug:

Never seen it, is it the one with Robin Williams?

It's depressingly good, with EEVILMURRAY heartstring pullings. I demand you watch it.

And yes, it's the one with Robin Williams.

And I'm most pissed off, as I can't find the data disc with it on.

Ben 10 (Movie)

It explains nothing, so if you havent seen quite a few of the cartoons you wont get most of it.

I dont like what Ben and Gwens Grandfather looks like, or acts like, hes like a completly different person.

The bad guy was badly thought out, and the final fight was absolutly rubbish.

I liked to see some of his forms, so that boosted my rating.

4/10

I'd agree that Bicentennial Man is a good film. Very emotional and thought provoking. Definitely deserves a watch Paj. I wouldn't say it made me cry (no film has incidently) but it is an emotional rollercoaster. Wouldn't mind watching it myself now.

erm...

Donnie Darko

Watched this a few days ago when it was on BBC2. Didn't know it was on till I started scrolling through the channels and I was delighted to find it was on. I personally love the film. Very dark and thought provoking, although trying to comprehend most of the time travel stuff and even the story at times is a bit of a challenge but while that would normally put me off of films, it works here and keeps me glued to it, in a similar way to the likes of Waking Life. Probably comes down to the strangeness that the film exudes. Jake Gyllenhaal is great in his role. Really brings across that schizophrenic nature that his character is built around and he provides some good laughs (the bit with Jim Cunningham and telling him he's the f'ing anti-christ) in an otherwise serious film. It's clearly not as deep as Waking Life but the psychological journey you go on with Darko and Frank makes for compelling viewing.

And I'd have to agree with what Drew Barrymore's character says about 'cellar door' being the most beautiful combination of words in the english language, to an extent. There is something eerily beautiful about saying it. I know it sounds dark to say it but there is a strange beauty to it, and by beauty I don't mean like a field of freshly grown flowers basking in the warm morning air.

Anyways, 9 out of 10

I really like Donnie Darko, but it now seems a bit like Weird-lite.

Drag Me To Hell (Some scene spoilers, but nothing maaaajor)

I'm confused as to why this is getting such great reviews (94% on Rotten Tomatoes). It was definitely good, but not 94% good by any means. There were some incredibly hilarious moments which ruined any build-up of tension or scary moments, such as one of the guys vomiting a kitten or the demon randomly doing some eastern european dance in mid-air half way through being all killing spree scary. Oh, and when the goat started talking too, that ruined any sense of terror the film had built up. The entire cinema burst into laughter.

Though, onto the good things. Before all that stuff happened, the film was damn freaky. The old woman was fucking terrifying, especially in the first confrontation between the main woman and herself. That 5 minute fight scene was actually AMAZING. I was almost shouting stuff at the screen, I'd gotten so into it. Ooo, and when the main woman wondered round the house holding a knife going "Here Kitty Kitty". It was both damn freaky but brilliantly hilarious at the same time because she could not act to save her life. Anyway, it was a solid movie. Not amazing, but good nonetheless (Though, when compared to the usual horror tripe, this is oscar worthy).

The ending annoyed me somewhat though. You'll see what I mean when you watch it. But there were so many opportunities for her to "end" it, but she never seemed to take them. I cannot see anyone actually being that accepting of their supposed fate. Selfless bitch.

7.2/10

--

The Uninvited

Major twist that I really didn't see coming at all, and I don't see how anyone would. Completely shocked me, and turned the movie totally on it's head. I liked the plot, and though it definitely dragged in places it was enjoyable. Only annoying thing was the big finale seemed very rushed, and could have lasted a hell of a lot longer.

Edited by Slaggis

The Uninvited

Major twist that I really didn't see coming at all, and I don't see how anyone would. Completely shocked me, and turned the movie totally on it's head. I liked the plot, and though it definitely dragged in places it was enjoyable. Only annoying thing was the big finale seemed very rushed, and could have lasted a hell of a lot longer.

You have to see "A Tale of Two Sisters" which The Uninvited is a stupid american remake of. It's one of my favourite films!

EDIT: Forgot why I came into this thread in the first place, I was meant to give my thoughts on Coraline and then got distracted! Such a tard.

Anyway, Coraline

Absolutely magical, I love this sort of film and it just really absorbed me into it. Rather dark and disturbing for a film aimed at kids, but fantastic nonetheless. It's made me wish I was a little kid again, I used to wonder around day-dreaming sort of like her as well.

I've found that the whole 3-D malarky as of late tends to be rather redundant, and I don't think it added much to an already brilliant film.

I'd give it a 10. But the film Nazis wouldn't allow it so it gets a 9.5.

Edited by Razz