NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ViPeR

The fight for the Moon

Recently there's been a lot of talk about NASA going back to the Moon. There they intend to build a lunar base (space 1999 anyone? yeh only a few decades too late) to launch future space missions to Mars. As I understand it, it's actually possible to purchase land on the Moon legally as this one site would suggest http://www.planetaryinvestments.com/. Does this mean if you owned a possible landing site that NASA would have to pay you for its use or would they simply ignore you as a court case on such a matter maybe be a trifle ridiculous. The obvious solution would be for NASA to buy land for the base. Though I find the fact that the Moon is even owned by person/s quite bizarre. Should we really be carving it up into sections creating yet even more reason for disputes between countries?

its quite sad that something as amazing as space travel and moon landings could end up causing dispute due to certain people/countries owning different parts of the moon, i hope it doesnt come to that but knowing the human race it will.

Imagine how much money you could make if they had to buy your bit of land off you? Squillions, i would say.

I always thought that the companies that offered you slices of the moon were conmen? Therefore, NASA will just laugh at them.

True, since they did not own the land to sell, the land has not officially been sold, and hence cannot belong to anyone.

I think it is pretty legitimate, I saw one magazine giving away a free couple of acres. Apparently governments can't own land on other planets but there's a loophole allowing individuals and companies to. All very stupid to me, i'd buy some for a laugh simply because it's like £15 for a football field size chunk of land but I don't think anyone takes it seriously... well I hope not for NASAs sake.

meh space travel and exploration sucks, i dont think that the general public will be interested again until extraterrestrial life is found (read decpetion point by dan brown :)), or we are able to go into space for a couple of hundred quid.

With the weather knocking seven shades of shit out of them I think there may be a more crucial use of such a large amount of money right now.

I don't get the whole purchasing land on the moon thing. Dosen't someone need to own the moon to be able to sell parts of it?

Does this mean if you owned a possible landing site that NASA would have to pay you for its use or would they simply ignore you as a court case on such a matter maybe be a trifle ridiculous

It would be quite hard to prove that NASA landed on your bit of the moon.

I mean, it does look all the same now doesn't it.

The fight for the Moon's over - the Earth Alliance was beaten by ZAFT, and...

Shit, this isn't the animé topic. Bollocks.

dosnt only the us onwn the moon, or part of it because of the moon landings?

No because it was all faked, hence why they're going back now - to actually land on it for real!

Personally I think the whole deal is ridiculous. However you know what most of the yanks are like, they'd probably try and sue NASA regardless. This is the same nation were people can sue McDonalds for making them fat...

This is the same nation were people can sue McDonalds for making them fat...

And for making drinks such as hot tea and coffee too hot. :blink:

And for making drinks such as hot tea and coffee too hot.

I fear the day when white trash in Australia learn how to use the legal system....

Yes, it's also the same country with a chimpanzee for President. Jokes aside, a chimp could probably do a better job...

I'm more interested in Deep Space travel at the moment. I'm also more interested in developing new technology, to make rockets and shuttles and the like travel a helluva lot faster. I mean, to be honest, what else can we really find out by just missioning to our neighbours? I think funding should go towards working on a better propulsion system. Here are some good articles.

http://www.rednova.com/news/stories/1/2004/10/15/story001.html

http://www.zamandayolculuk.com/cetinbal/UFOpropulsionsystem.htm

Who knows, perhaps our own solar system will provide teh key elements we need to travel nearer the speed of light (which is 186,000 miles per second, the fastest space vessel that humans have launched traveled, at its fastest point, at 43.888rec miles per second.)

Space is t3h 0wnz.

No because it was all faked, hence why they're going back now - to actually land on it for real!

Ooh, controversy.

My favourite part of the moon landing is seeing Armstrong climbing out of the Lander from the outside. Did they just lob the camera out and hope for the best or something?

Buying parts of the moon isn' t as stupid as you might think. Suppose in 100 years the moon starts to be inhabited and travel to it becomes as usual as plane travel. Then if you own 15 football fields of moon, you're rich. Well, you won't own them, your offspring will. So look at it as an investment for your future

Ooh, controversy.

My favourite part of the moon landing is seeing Armstrong climbing out of the Lander from the outside. Did they just lob the camera out and hope for the best or something?

They say there was a camera attatched to the outside of the landing craft.

Sign in to follow this