NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Nintendo and Sony announce Legend of Zelda live action film

Well, ain't that a thing. Sony Pictures making a film for Nintendo. Huh. 

Directed by the director of the Maze Runner trilogy and co-produced by the guy who is notorious for studio interference and hamfisting as much as he can into a film to treat it like a product rather than, you know, a story to be told? See: Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I'm sure this'll be fine. 

And live-action? Seriously? Can't wait to see Tom Holland as Link, Zendaya as Zelda, and Scarlett Johansson as Ganondorf! 

29 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Shame. I was hoping for an animated movie much like what this person is doing.

Saw this the other day, some of the stuff people pull off in UE5 really is astounding :D 

This forever and always comes to mind when I think of a possible Zelda film, such cosy vibes:

Probably need to wait for Miyazaki to kick the bucket before Ghibli consider taking on more third-party work, but I'm patient enough to see this live-action film review poorly first :laughing:

• Like 1

Live action is not the route I imagined an official Zelda product to follow. The series is so colourful and vivacious.

I really hope this doesn't take itself seriously. This better turn out really cheesy.

7 hours ago, Julius said:

See: Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

2 of the best Spider-Man films in there so I don't know what the concern is 😋

Like others, live action was unexpected and they will probably have uninspired casting again but it is what it is. Will see what it's like but - as with Mario - I'm not expecting much and I'm also not the type to flip tables if it turns out naff. 

Sony making a Zelda… what a world we live in!

Shame it’s live action, but it was always going to be… They want that GoT/HoTD money, and live action would always have orders of magnitude more box office potential than animation.  Cant say I blame ‘em really.

Still, with the Hollywood SAGAFTRA strikes still ongoing? This movie isn’t getting released for at least another 5 years.

Edited by Dcubed

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This looks awesome! Wish a new game was made with that engine/art style.

Not sure how I feel about this movie being live action. Gotta wait and see.

If Zelda Williams doesn't at least get a small role, there will be hell to pay.

A B+ Can't Distress Me, Frankly - UAF Student Ambassadors

timeline... where in the... timeline...

2 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Cher as Great Fairy please.

Also starring:
Chris Pratt as Sheik
Danny DeVito as Baby Goron
Robin Williams as The King of Hyrule

38 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Robin Williams as The King of Hyrule

Actors are currently on strike to prevent this happening

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Actors are currently on strike to prevent this happening

What did he do? 

Well this is going to be an interesting one to watch what happens. Nintendo seem to have an idea of the story and direction but I’ve never felt you could translate a Zelda game faithfully to a single film. Maybe using an original story will mean a slightly different approach. But the games are all about exploration and dungeons. I don’t see how classic dungeons would work in film, but I could see the smaller BotW and TotK type dungeons working. But then I don’t see a film where the hero goes to 4 of them, fights a boss in each and then goes to fight another boss in Ganondorf to work as great film. Maybe something very different is needed that will fit the film media for a Zelda inspired film.

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Well he died a decade ago...

They must have been doing something in the photo-realistic realm since the Wii U bird tech-demo.

If Link says anything other than HIYAAA, this movie is a failure.

In fact, if Nintendo had any real balls, they’d make this a silent movie.  A $200 million silent movie.

I double & triple dare you Nintendo.  Do it!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

In his usual way and also Kirby's. Mix it up. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Just make it an hour and a half of this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Just make it an hour and a half of this. 

or this:

• Haha 4

Live action? Hmm... :hmm:

Hollywood? Ugh... :shakehead

Yeah, not confident about this one at all. :blank:
I also think animated would've been the way to go, traditional even.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out, but unfortunately it's pretty much guaranteed that it won't be my cup of tea.

You can count the number of modern films that I've truly enjoyed on one hand though, with only one finger! :laughing:

Spoiler

RRR (Rise Roar Revolt). Amazing film. :cool:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They should just make a new story in the Legend of Zelda-world rather than copying what the games contain. That wouldn't make any sense at all. But having the princess find the chosen one to make him help take down Ganondorf and his hoard of evil monsters, all ending in a giant battle, Link vs. Ganondorf, like the Spaceworld 2001 demo. It'll probably be inspired by the LotR-movies, setting-wise.

18 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It'll probably be inspired by the LotR-movies, setting-wise.

It’s probably going to literally be a knockoff of Return of The King, just with the 3 Goddesses OoT origin story and the Scouring Of The Shire Hyrule Castle/Kokiri Forest tacked onto the start.

The Frodo/Sam portion of the movie will be Link & Navi spelunking through dungeons to find a thing that can kill Ganon.  The Aragorn section will be Zelda gathering up her army of Gorons/Zoras/Dekus etc and the Gandalf section will be whatever side characters they decide to pull from the mainline Zelda series to help out the main heroes on the side.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I'd be okay with that, though. Maybe not high quality media (story-wise) by today's standards but entertaining and beautiful.

Don't forget the Master Sword, though. That will be the item that Link will have to find to kill Ganon. Deku Tree is Gandalf.

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Well he died a decade ago...

If the strike goes well I hope he comes back. 

• Haha 1

If this isn't anything other then utter tosh, I'll consider that a miracle.

Somehow, I have even less confidence in this then the other two recent Ninty based movies. Which is impressive.

Sign in to follow this