Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

F-Zero 99 (Available Today! - 14th September 2023)

Julius

3 hours ago, RedShell said:

Nice!
Finally did my first ??? race, cheers for sharing that. :)

What a seriously clumsy method Nintendo chose to enable these "secret" tracks though. :indeed:

No worries. Couldn't keep it to myself when I saw it was legit. I'll definitely be referring to it whenever I'm going on the game from now on in case I'm close to one. Total needle-in-haystack stuff from Nintendo—stroke of luck three came up for me (one repeat) when you see the scheduling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update to F-zero 99 is due tonight/tomorrow:

Nintendoeverything had a summary of it:

The update will let players access the new Mirror Grand Prix, Mirror Tracks for Knight League, and Classic Mini Prix. Note that Mirror Tracks for King League and Queen League will become available in the future, too.

That’s not all, as Steer Assist is being added to help guide your machine around turns and barriers, and an expanded Practice Mode will be available. Players can also check out Timed Challenges for limited time in-game rewards, Recommended Challenges for tips on what to tackle next, and newly added Achievements.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

The latest update is very cool indeed. :cool:
There's a new type of collectible scattered on certain tracks that is used to unlock different customisation options.
They've changed team battles as well, now it's 5 teams competing against each other instead of 2.

It's great they keep adding stuff to this, and it does feel like games are filling up with players a bit quicker at the moment. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a quality update. Just the evening tracks with fireworks and an additional collectable raining down refreshes it a lot! The past couple of weeks there was no weekly limited event and the bounties were repeating so I thought it was a natural time to ease off. Not so with this July festival. It's great, and it looks like the unlock rate is similarly paced to the previous weekly challenges so not a grind in the slightest. 

• Like 2

Already collected all of the required Gem Sparks for the event! Not been able to put this down since the update. :hehe:
Now I just need the golden Captain Falcon star rival to show up again, I encountered him once already but stupidly crashed out during that race. :blush:

Man, this game is so good. :cool:
Just a shame that it's probably going to disappear when the Switch successor arrives :hmm: or perhaps Nintendo plan to keep this and Tetris 99 running on their next system too? They really should consider that I reckon.
Or at least do a physical release for F-Zero 99 as well. ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's really good going. Spotted someone with the golden Capt Falcon icon. I'm still yet to get a chance at a Samuari Goroh rival. Got the other three pretty much immediately.

I'm just aiming to polish it all off over the course of the month which is why I was trying to gauge the rate of it. The only thing is, I hadn't taken into account that you aren't guaranteed to be racing on festival tracks! For all the good they do with it, if only they would let us choose the races and race types we fancy instead of this random aspect.

Got a 5-way win in the team race—there must be a strategy to these because some teams rack up a heap of points. Definitely did more than five team races to get that one win.

You'd think they'll carry these 99 games over to the next console, along with everything else on our NSO accounts... but it's Nintendo, so until it happens, I'm not expecting it. :woops: 

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 6:12 PM, darksnowman said:

The only thing is, I hadn't taken into account that you aren't guaranteed to be racing on festival tracks! For all the good they do with it, if only they would let us choose the races and race types we fancy instead of this random aspect.

Yeah, they seem to love adding super random stuff to this for some reason. :hmm:
I actually started quitting out from races that didn't feature festival tracks at one point :D (another reason why I collected all the gems so fast :hehe:) and also prioritised the festival GP whenever that was available.

Got a 5-way win in the team race—there must be a strategy to these because some teams rack up a heap of points. Definitely did more than five team races to get that one win.

I seem to do worse in team games since the 5 team change, perhaps because of being distracted by collecting gems though. :heh:

You'd think they'll carry these 99 games over to the next console, along with everything else on our NSO accounts... but it's Nintendo, so until it happens, I'm not expecting it. :woops: 

I hear you. Best to keep expectations low when it comes to some of Nintendo's online strategies.

Wrapped up the festival in a week. Gold Capt Falcon was the final gold icon for me and was a rival that only came up in the last GP I needed, so that was a nice way to end it. 

Played it normally during the week. Doing five races a day (to qualify for the lucky slots) and hung about for a festival GP if one was close to starting. Then this weekend I specifically hit a few more festival GPs since there is basically one on the hour every hour (or two if you crash out quickly... :woops:). Once I noticed a GP was giving ~1,500 gems sparks, reaching 20,000 was a done deal—definitely the way to go. Just glad the numbers are so lenient since you are at the mercy of track rotation in the other modes. 

Cool event. Can't remember how it compares to the winter one but I remember it was a good time too. Next year it'll be spring and autumn, then...?

On 7/8/2024 at 6:39 PM, RedShell said:

I actually started quitting out from races that didn't feature festival tracks at one point :D

I was going to give up on a non-festival race but it said it'd count as a defeat against my rivals so I chickened out. Were you taking the losses or pulling the plug on your internet connection?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I was going to give up on a non-festival race but it said it'd count as a defeat against my rivals so I chickened out. Were you taking the losses or pulling the plug on your internet connection?

Neither.

I was just quitting races from the pause menu at the starting line, it never said anything about it counting as a loss though. ::shrug:

I haven't really ever played this much. I do like it, to an extent, but I still find having 99 players crashing into each other at the start of every race too chaotic to be particularly enjoyable.

I did, however, jump in randomly at the weekend and discovered the 20 player Classic GP in the rotation so I dived in. 

So much better 🔥

I kinda wish that was the main mode..