NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

As expected, the Majora's Mask update has fixed Ocarina of Time's Water Temple room. The water reflects properly, and the fog is present.

An interesting side effect that isn't immediately obvious is that the pause screen no longer comes with an image quality drop. Majora's Mask does this too, it's very cool.

The N64 versions always had this issue, but the NSO version fixes that.

• Thanks 1

I wanted to finish Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask arrived and I just managed to pull it off. It was tight though. What with being at work every week day, family stuff going on and just every day life getting in the way, it wasn't until half 9 last night that I seen the credits roll.

Spoiler

FMavA6EVcAMKUMC?format=jpg&name=large

FMaxuVYUcAQX1MC?format=jpg&name=large

FMaxuVZVkAI53nB?format=jpg&name=large

FMaxkKNVUAAoIcq?format=jpg&name=large

FMaxuVCVcAUAgL1?format=jpg&name=large

FMax4TGUYAI5CEA?format=jpg&name=large

It's still the GOAT Zelda game for me. Absolute masterpiece and a game I can play over and over again.

With that done...

1954497_0.jpg

...but that will have to wait until I get back home this evening. That's my weekend sorted though. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At first, I was thinking "You barely made it? I imagine you could blitz through OoT with how much you played it before". But then I saw you actually bothered to get all 100 spiders, and it all made sense again.

Majora's Mask is better.

Nice going @Hero-of-Time. Just in time for Linky boy to wander off and meet with a terrible fate. :cool: Thanks for going to the effort of posting the vids and screens as it has given me a chance to see how N64 games look on NSO--haven't paid any attention to it as I don't have the service. Seems to be brighter than previously reported on the Wii U (which I witnessed firsthand with the limited edition NES Fire Emblem on Switch) so that's a relief... if your posts are an accurate reflection. :p 

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Nice going @Hero-of-Time. Just in time for Linky boy to wander off and meet with a terrible fate. :cool: Thanks for going to the effort of posting the vids and screens as it has given me a chance to see how N64 games look on NSO--haven't paid any attention to it as I don't have the service. Seems to be brighter than previously reported on the Wii U (which I witnessed firsthand with the limited edition NES Fire Emblem on Switch) so that's a relief... if your posts are an accurate reflection. :p 

Yeah, they look much better than the Wii U versions. I hated the dark filter they plastered over the N64 games. On the Switch, everything looks pretty crisp, especially in handheld mode.

Done the first dungeon. Got 20 heart pieces and 9 masks.

Trying to get the heart piece from the Town Shooting Gallery without gyro controls is a miserable experience! It is far too strict for how stiff the aiming is.

A few little moments I got.

Spoiler

So far, the emulation is top notch! Only the best for the best Zelda game!

Apart from the stars at night (Single pixels designed for a CRT television are far too noticeable on a HD TV. Can't be helped, really), it's great!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Whenever I play through Majora's Mask, I always find something new that I never knew about. It's one of the little joys of this game.

There's always an exception though...

That's never happened before. I wonder if it's always been there, or if it's an NSO thing. I've certainly never heard of this happening.

I wonder if finishing Goht off with a Goron butt strike is what caused it?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Weird 2

3 dungeons down, 45 heart pieces, 21 masks.

I only just found out that you can lean Zora Link's body around while playing the guitar, his facial expression even changes depending on which way you tilt! Neat!

Behold my elegant diving skills!

Spoiler

That last one happens to me at least once a playthrough. Without fail. I swear it's heat-seeking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

And done! 100% achieved in time for the Pokémon Presents. Because having a real life deadline only serves to increase the tension. 18 hours and 17 minutes total, according to NSO

Also, done in less then 3 days. That was a happy accident though.

Spoiler

Along with not using that mask, I also never used the Inverted Song of Time. I know the game so well, it's the only way I can keep the time pressure up. Strangely enough, Great Bay took the longest, but that was likely due to me gathering the other frogs with Don Gero's mask before going in there.

Majora's Mask is still the best Zelda.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

I love that part of the game. Not sure I remember that with the masks though so that’s cool.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I love that part of the game. Not sure I remember that with the masks though so that’s cool.

Ikana Canyon is my favourite area too! Something about the mixture of creepy undead setting with the very weird and comedic beats Majora's Mask likes to utilise make it all very memorable. Also helps that Stone Tower is a top-tier Zelda dungeon.

Spoiler

Using the Bremen Mask on the soldiers makes that section very easy, while also being really funny. There's a brief moment when you start marching where the two soldiers just look at each other, as if they're saying, "Is this kid for real?" And you think it's not gonna help you out of this fight, but then they start doing that ridiculous march! They'll fall for it every time, no matter how many times you whack them in the back.

Unfortunately, showing the Captain's Hat to King Ikana doesn't help win the fight, he gets over it once he realises Link is too small. Still worth it.

Weirdly enough, Deku Link is really good for that fight, King Ikana gets stunned by the Deku Spin, and then you can shoot a bubble at his back for an easy hit (or change back to Link and use the Gilded Sword).

Edited by Glen-i

19 hours ago, Glen-i said:

And done! 100% achieved in time for the Pokémon Presents. Because having a real life deadline only serves to increase the tension. 18 hours and 17 minutes total, according to NSO

Where does NSO tell you how long you've spent on individual games?

10 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Where does NSO tell you how long you've spent on individual games?

Open the details of a game while you're on the game selection screen. It shows it near the top.

It's a total playtime, so after your initial playthrough, it's not much use for timing yourself, and it's not good for speedrun purposes, because it includes any time you spend watching the Title Screen or watching the ending, but it's still neat.

• Thanks 1

I got just over halfway through Majora's Mask before completely burning out on it. I'm not sure whether it's because I played it straight after OoT but I just found it a chore as the game went on. One thing that is very evident after playing OoT is just how much time is spent in the menus swapping items and masks. It's crazy how much of the players time is devoted to doing this. Anyway, i'll continue to pick away at it and hopefully get it done by the end of the week/weekend.

I needed a break and decided to play something a little more lighthearted and that was Mario Tennis. Man, this is still the pinnacle of 3D Mario Tennis games. It's crazy how much they got right with this game and how much wrong they got with further entries. It's also nice having a Mario sports game where you don't buy a half finished product and have to wait months down the line for characters and modes to arrive. Modern gaming practices suck. I only played a couple of tournaments but it was a nice quick session that at least made me chuckle with this.

Clearly Waluigi doesn't care for his partner. :laughing:

• Haha 3

On 25/02/2022 at 6:00 AM, Glen-i said:

As expected, the Majora's Mask update has fixed Ocarina of Time's Water Temple room. The water reflects properly, and the fog is present.

An interesting side effect that isn't immediately obvious is that the pause screen no longer comes with an image quality drop. Majora's Mask does this too, it's very cool.

The N64 versions always had this issue, but the NSO version fixes that.

I have just started Ocarina, I'd been meaning to for a while but just hadn't got around to it and then heard they'd fixed the graphical gliches and took the plunge. 

Its been years and I forgot just how cosy this game is, I absolutely love the feelings it gives me, there's a real charm similar to Shenmue 1 that I can't put my finger on.

I just had my first encounter with Zelda and am off to Death Mountain now but was sure to dip into the Market at night to see all the dogs - it was as adorable as ever. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I needed a break and decided to play something a little more lighthearted and that was Mario Tennis. Man, this is still the pinnacle of 3D Mario Tennis games. It's crazy how much they got right with this game and how much wrong they got with further entries.

Totally agree. This one plays a rock-solid game of tennis first and foremost with the Tennis x Kart in a separate mode. 

Only thing I'd change about it is longer matches in the tournaments. It's all over so quickly. 

Mario Tennis is still superb. I'd love it if we go that exact game just with updated models. If it supports four player online, we need to get a few games going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Mario Tennis is still superb. I'd love it if we go that exact game just with updated models. If it supports four player online, we need to get a few games going.

NSO does support 4 player online.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

NSO does support 4 player online.

I want in on this.

I'll take you on at Super Tennis and Smash Tennis too.

Just beat Banjo-Kazooie, 

94 of the 100 Jiggies isn't bad for not remembering much about the game and doing it alone. I think I know where a few of the missing ones are in Gruntildas Lair, but the other few I may need to look up. Also I don't think I ever got the full number of Jiggies nor Notes on the original so this was pretty good for me. I may go do the rest at some point. 

Also as stated in that tweet, how did Rare get away with that woman and the melon joke in that game?

Still a great game though all these years later. I do hope that Banjo-Tooie comes to the service too, I think that was a polished off version of this and possibly better of the two.

Next up for me I think will be Paper Mario

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

Also as stated in that tweet, how did Rare get away with that woman and the melon joke in that game?

When you remember what video game (and wider) culture was like at the time it's not that surprising

55b99b5cdd0895307e8b4622

and-celebrity-impressions-delivered-by-h

ad-17-1009903.jpg

video_game_ads_05-640x747.jpg

You'd think the game boy vibrated or something the way it was advertised.

There's plenty more examples too; the Ray Man urinal advert, Crash the body builder and the cum-covered Eaglemax etc

It was a weird era. 

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

They got away with something worse in Banjo-Tooie...

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

There's plenty more examples too; the Ray Man urinal advert, Crash the body builder and the cum-covered Eaglemax etc

It was a weird era. 

Yeah, western advertising was tailored to a very specific demographic. Considering that the gaming magazines almost had an exclusive audience in teenage boys, that's the kind of advertising they utilised.

If it wasn't that, it was potshots at the competition. Which has led to quite a few hilarious in hindsight ads like this:

tumblr_os5lsyTGuw1snhn1io1_1280.jpg

Admit it, most of you forgot that game existed.

Edited by Glen-i

10 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Those cheeky chappies in the barn in Twycross knew how to get around the censors and keep the rating down. :laughing:

Higher ESRB rating but have you played Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Now that's what I call platforming. :D 

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

If it wasn't that, it was potshots at the competition.

Rare weren't above that themselves...

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) Ending ...