N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Julius

Nope, gonna have to quickly run through Grand Prix so we're not stuck with 3 tracks per game tonight.

Anyway, finding it difficult not to burst out laughing in the middle of the night at the "Crash Out" music in GP Legend. Was not prepared for how melancholy it is!

It's hilarious!

• Thanks 1

Right, that's 15 tracks in GP Legends now. There's a secret cup, but I'm gonna leave that for now, and switch to Climax and rack up the tracks there before I attempt that.

I guess if James McCloud can be in F-Zero, why not Wolf O'Donnel as well?

Yes, that's totally Wolf! He can dye his hair all he likes, but he ain't fooling me!

Anyway, PSA for F-Zero Climax, the controls are proper weird. They're fully customisable, but in a bizarre move, you can't have all of the controls active at once.

What does this mean? Well, as an example. By default, you cannot brake in this game! You have to assign it to a button! And that means giving up a different feature!

However, it's in Japanese, but someone thankfully made a handy chart so you can figure out what it all means.

XvgDq6L.png

Oh, did I mention there's unlockable controls? Because there is! This game is wild!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

By default, you cannot brake in this game!

That's because:

slwh5qs.jpeg

;)

I'm glad more people will get the chance to play these games (especially F-Zero Climax for the track editor) and experience the overly enthusiastic race announcer. :heh:
Need to find a GBA so I can get my custom track passwords. Actually, it'd probably be quicker to just recreate them in the editor! :laughing:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

I'm glad more people will get the chance to play these games (especially F-Zero Climax for the track editor) and experience the overly enthusiastic race announcer. :heh:

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that! It's quite remarkable how disinterested he is! Not a fan. And he's back in Climax, but now he's annoying because he keeps telling me how I'm about to lose the lead!

Anyway, I actually kinda really like GP Legend so far. I haven't touched Story mode yet, but this is the first F-Zero game I've played where the "Easy" difficulty actually is easy, and not just "Still hard, but at least the CPU doesn't cheat".

Also, Grip actually has a tangible effect! I don't really dig F-Zero X or GX, because grip might as well not exist, you still slide everywhere. But here, there's a noticeable improvement between Blue Falcon's "B" and Space Angler's "A". Taking 90 degree turns at full pelt is very satisfying!

Climax is a little more slippery, but not too much. CPU's are a bit more cheaty there, even on easy. They take turns at speeds that I know is impossible.

And finally, the tracks in GP Legend are positively insane! And I mean that in a good way. One track, I think the fourth one, has a speed boost leading right into a jump panel. Obvious shortcut opportunity, right? Except that it was a complete trap, because there's absolutely nothing out there! The tracks love this, but there are also proper shortcuts, alternate paths, choices between healing and speed. It's all so exciting.

This game's great, and there's still two modes I haven't touched.

Edited by Glen-i

Multiplayer in GP Legends is a tad... let's go with unbalanced.

I'm no F-Zero expert, but even I know the side attack shouldn't do that much damage.

But yeah, it's fun. Kinda have to put up house rules to punish blowing up in some way, otherwise people will just boost all the time, because boosting until you blow up is still quicker then driving in a way that prevents exploding. Which I can't help goes against the risk/reward thing the boost system is supposed to do.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1