Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion (Nov 19 EU)

On 15/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, drahkon said:

@Julius Haven't heard from you in a while.

Lots of news you haven't commented on, yet :p

Haven't been too well the last week or two, but feeling a little better now :) I managed to keep on top of the news, but had been drugged up and sleeping a lot (woo), so a lot of it kind of flew over my head at the time.

The teardown video was welcome, I'm glad we've got that out of the way now. The design makes much more sense with the context provided in that video, but I won't act like a hardware buff (I'd say my knowledge of it is functional at best), as I'm really just here for the software! The look and size doesn't matter too much to me because I've got the space for it and, again, care much more about what I'm playing than how it looks. My only real concern is regarding the liquid metal solution, the biggest concern being about the console in transit - I have to imagine that there's some cautionary measure Sony have implemented in its design, but it wasn't all that clear here.

Removable face panels and dust collecting spots for easy dust removal is a great move when compared with how it worked with the PS4, and I think Sony would be foolish to not offer swappable panels at some point in the future. I've said it before, but giving everyone a white face panel which they'll want to change to black as easily as possible is a really smart business move (even if a bit of a questionable PR one). 

One of my posts a week or two ago regarding my expectations for the backwards compatibility numbers based on the 1% figure they'd thrown out to us previously and us ending up with only 10 (but now 8) games which won't be playable through backwards compatibility on PS5 is pretty much what I expected, so this is good to see. Wish this was something they nipped in the bud much earlier, to be honest, before the internet ran away with the worst case scenario - one of those things that perhaps they could have communicated better to us. Biggest surprise out of this for me was that delisted games like P.T. would still be playable on PS5, that's super weird, but sure. It's good for game preservation (for those who have it) at least.

Finally, the first look at the UI we got earlier this week was pretty solid. I think it looks nice enough, but some of those emptier spaces in the home menu perhaps could have been fleshed out a bit more (I know it's before launch, but just to give us a better idea of how it will look at launch).

I like the idea of activities, and think it could be great for hopping back into something to get an idea of what you were doing (such as returning to an RPG after not touching it for a few weeks) or going down the completionist route (Sackboy was a great example for them to use), but I do wish that they would have just come out and say that progression tracking for trophies would be a thing. This seemed like a veeeery roundabout way of saying it without, well, saying it, which makes me a little nervous? Also curious to see just how much support this gets from third parties. I'm one of those who likes to turn trophy notifications off in some games to just immerse myself a bit more, and I can see myself wanting to turn it off to some extent in some games.

Cards look nice enough too, but there were a few times where I was looking at it wondering why I had to scroll through so many cards to get my recent screenshot, for example - I'm sure it will improve as we go along, but I'm really hoping that some of this will be customisable, namely the size of things in the home menu and the order of cards. Options are important for those that want them, I think, and looking at how Sony supported Naughty Dog's handling of accessibility with TLOU2 and the PS4's handling of it too, I would be very surprised if the size of some of these things couldn't be manipulated at a minimum. 

Like the idea of getting hints on what to do next (curious to me that that's a PS+ thing, but I guess it's a very direct way of ensuring that the player has an internet connection? Wonder if some of this will be cached in the background to load it faster), and being able to organise the layout is cool. Don't know if it would necessarily turn completionists off website guides simply because there's so much more info there, but it's a promising start, and I would hope that like with picture-in-picture screen sharing, that some apps could also be used in this way (e.g. Spotify, YouTube, etc.), because personally I'm thinking of the times I'm grinding in a JRPG and end up using my phone to listen to a podcast or more of the game's soundtrack than what is immediately present.

And speaking of screen-sharing, I don't know how much I'll use it, but I think it's a really neat idea in the picture-in-picture format specifically. I'm thinking about people picking up a PS5 after not having the PS4/not being into gaming in general, starting up a game in the PS+ Collection and getting a bit lost, and chatting to a friend, sharing their screen when they need a bit of a guidance. Anything you can do to break down those barriers of entry is cool to me, and I'm sure that there will be plenty of other uses for it too, but that's the biggest for me. It's really neat. Same goes for the consolidation of voice chats and PS Messages into seemingly one spot?

The biggest takeaway for me though is the PS Store being integrated into the UI/OS rather than being a standalone application, because the PS Store on the PS4 has been a clunky, lagging mess for years now. With how they skipped over it, I think that'll be what they focus on next. 

I think PlayStation are doing a good job of maintaining excitement for long stretches with the PS5 in ways that Xbox perhaps haven't been trying to, but I think the best comparisons on their respective YouTube channels shows a huge disparity between the two heading into launch. While I appreciate Xbox coming out and giving us a lot of info much earlier, it does feel like they consistently blow their proverbial load way too early (such as with the console design reveal well ahead of when we expected it at least year's Game Awards), and PlayStation is doing a good job of keeping us coming back for more, because there's still quite a bit to cover in the coming weeks.

I think a look at the new PS Store will come in the next week, then we'll got a few smaller bits and pieces posted to their channel such as more on the Create button, etc., before we hit previews and gameplay demos when November kicks off. And then it'll launch in the US and a bunch of other places on the 12th, and we'll just be clutching onto our games arriving a week before the console over here in Europe, counting down the days for launch, hoping payments don't bounce, and that the console arrives on launch day.

Very excited!

• Like 1

I do think opening the video while in resume mode was a mistake, it made the UI look like a gacha game menu with a load of information being thrown at you at once. Thankfully it's not like that from a cold boot. I too thought it was weird the screenshot card was right at the end as well.

I am a bit concerned the UI will be too small on a 4k TV, a lot of games seem to have small texts nowadays for some reason.

it's probably just me but having PiP just seems distracting, only seems useful if you're grinding or something.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Haven't been too well the last week or two, but feeling a little better now :)

Great to hear that you're feeling better :peace:

• Like 2

On 16/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, Sheikah said:

Surely that shows just how much people are looking forward to the system then, it's just a video about the UI but it's clocking 6 million views!

People watch unboxing videos which is literally someone taking stuff out of a box. Human beings are weird. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got a chance to look at the UI video (well, the DF Reaction video at least).  Looks really nice! Surprised at how mature the OS looks already.

The Cards system feels like a logical evolution of the Vita’s Livearea concept; while the overall visual language is a marriage between the PS4 and the PS3. It feels premium, but functional; nice!

Functionally it looks solid, though I do wonder if they’ve left too much dead space outside of the tiles themselves (which are very small!).  The PiP features are neat, but seem fairly limited; especially compared to the Xbone’s original Snap feature.  Do wonder if they’re looking to expand on it in the future... would imagine that chat features would be a much requested PiP feature.

Overall I’m impressed.  It looks nice and also pretty feature packed already.  Let’s just hope that we aren’t waiting years for folders this time around now!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1