NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon Direct (27th Feb 2019)

Please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good.

Please don’t be like Let’s Go, Please don’t be like Let’s Go, Please don’t be like Let’s Go, Please don’t be like Let’s Go, Please don’t be like Let’s Go, Please don’t be like Let’s Go.

Please don’t be a BOTW knockoff, Please don’t be a BOTW knockoff, Please don’t be a BOTW knockoff, Please don’t be a BOTW knockoff, Please don’t be a BOTW knockoff, Please don’t be a BOTW knockoff.

Please don’t be full of Genwunner pandering, Please don’t be full of Genwunner pandering, Please don’t be full of Genwunner pandering, Please don’t be full of Genwunner pandering, Please don’t be full of Genwunner pandering.

Please be an actual proper Pokemon game, Please be an actual proper Pokemon game, Please be an actual proper Pokemon game, Please be an actual proper Pokemon game, Please be an actual proper Pokemon game, Please be an actual proper Pokemon game.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

Hey @drahkon, I think @Dcubed is giving us a preview of @Glen-i's reaction :D

So, all aboard the BOTW knock-off train? :p

It’d be a good way to win dozens of Game of the Year awards :p 

Look closer. There are three Pokéballs there for three new Gen 8 starters.

Please be like BOTW!!!

I've said it once, I'll say it again:

The size of BotW's world, populated with towns, caves, forests, etc., Pokémon roaming the world like monsters in DQXI (i.e. you initiate battle once you hit them)...would be amazing and maybe get me interested in a Pokémon game since Gold.

Also: Include all Gens.

• Like 1

"You see that Pokemon over there? You can climb that."

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

31 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm hoping the Direct is nothing but Johto DLC for Pokemon Let's Go!.....i'm serious. :D 

I would both love it and find it hilarious. For me that's actually new territory, so I'd buy it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

"You see that Pokemon over there? You can climb that."

But not when it's raining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Please be Sinnoh remakes. Oh, with more gen 1 Pokémon and in the style of BotW.

• Haha 2

BTW: Just to remind you guys...

There’s a Treehouse Live happening tomorrow (and over the next few days); so chances are that there might be more than just the initial reveal trailer shown!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

What are the odds that more than one new game is shown tomorrow? I'm predicting some kind of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu game to co-incide with the movie coming out this summer. They'd be daft not to make one for it.

What are the odds that more than one new game is shown tomorrow? I'm predicting some kind of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu game to co-incide with the movie coming out this summer. They'd be daft not to make one for it.
LA Noire 2 feat. Detective Pikachu?

I find seven minutes long for one game so I actually expect another announcement. A Detective Pikachu for Switch is a good guess. 

3 minutes behind-the-scenes Detective Pikachu movie
2 minutes surprise announcement and trailer! Detective Pikachu for Switch! It's a port of the 3DS game.
1 minute apology: Pokémon Core has been delayed until next year. Gap will be filled with Johto DLC for Let's Go.
1 minute one more thing:

Spoiler

Ryan Reynolds

for Smash

• Haha 1

@Tim B and @MindFreak, I agree that we'll probably see more than just Gen VIII tomorrow. I think Detective Pikachu is a great shout, and makes far too much sense, but I wonder what else there could potentially be, if there is more? 

A Pokémon Snap remake/sequel actually doesn't seem impossible. We saw Red/Blue/Green/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal on the 3DS -- maybe we could see Ruby/Sapphire make their way over to the Switch? I'd love another Mystery Dungeon game, or maybe a Ranger game...or heck, maybe even something entirely new. 

At this point, anything less than a trailer showing off the next mainline Pokémon games for Switch, is going to end in disappointment.

I am curious to see what Gen 8 will be like. As long as they keep the core battle system in tact and actually let you fight the wild Pokemon then I'm all for it. Plus, actually having a new region will make things interesting.

The thing is, I think the older games got more development time to flesh out their ideas than the ones this decade have, Pokemon Sun/Moon were somewhat rushed to meet the deadline judging by the features they put into Ultra Sun and Moon and while S/M are one of my absolute favourites in the series (seriously) I feel like a lot of people I know in real life aren't ever so bothered by a new generation coming on even if they've counted Pokemon as one of their interests, and these are people who've played beyond Gen 1.

Then again I feel like Let's Go was designed for people like that. And all the downloads surrounding fan game Pokemon Uranium a few years ago shows that people actually want Pokemon to shift things up a bit more and not go through the tried and tested formula once again.

Problem is, I think many Japanese companies have set ways of doing things which have survived for an extremely long period of time due to them being successful at first when they started and Game Freak are no different (this is why I think Western games eventually overtook Japanese games in terms of innovation). That being said, with Morimoto as director Pokemon has shown it's willingness to change things up from the standard and Gen 8 may yet be something further to that.

I've bought every Pokemon Gen since Gen 1 but I wonder if the last few years are the point where I'm going to be the only one I know irl who actually buys the new games. The problem probably is the fact that there are already too many Pokemon for most people to be familiar with and the games in general are a bit too easy on the main story side of things and as an RPG Pokemon's story and world building aren't nearly anything like you'd get in something like Xenoblade Chronicles or NieR: Automata. We need a hard mode but I feel like Game Freak (and much of Nintendo) take making an assessible game as making it pitch to the lowest common denominator and then forcing everyone to go through the same experience. The tutorials are VERY obnoxious for anyone who's played every generation, what they should do is when the tutorial starts and they are about to ask you how to catch a Pokemon, they should give you a Yes/No response so that those who are playing for the first time can go through the tutorial and veteran players like myself can simply skip it.

The only reason I think this hasn't been done is because of how important "tradition" becomes in Japanese culture in general and not just Pokemon.

• Like 1

Glad to see most of you got your dreadful ideas off of your chest while I was away. You're all awful people and you should be ashamed.

11 hours ago, bob said:
11 hours ago, Tim B said:

LA Noire 2 feat. Detective Pikachu?

Except you. Because I'd play that. Dodgy realistic looking Pokémon be damned!

I won't be able to watch it. I suppose that's for the best though, it's the first direct where I'm too scared at what could go wrong.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this