N-Europe

Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1&2

Hero-of-Time

21 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Great news, as I never had the opportunity to play anything beyond X3. I'd love to see why X4 is popular, and exactly how terrible X7 is.

As someone who never really liked most of the X games beyond X1 (Which is an absolute masterpiece), X4 is surprisingly good.  It's the first one where Zero is playable and it shakes things up quite a lot.

Edited by Dcubed

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Details from Era.

Collection 1 is X1-X4, collection 2 is X5-X8. Releases July 26th in Japan.

Optional(?) filter for sprite-based games, increased resolution for 3D games. Includes an art/music/merch gallery, the Day of Sigma OVA, past trailers, and an "X Challenge" mode where you'll fight bosses from different games in the X series together.

Both are getting physical releases for Switch/PS4 in Japan, as well as a "1+2" collection (2 discs for PS4, 1 cartridge + download code for Switch). XBO/PC is digital only in Japan. No word yet on how Capcom USA will bring the games over.

• Hero-of-Time changed the title to Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1&2

I was back and forth as to what platform to buy this on and I decided to go with the PS4 version. Better d-pad and trophy support makes it the right choice for me. Also, more of the X games were originally on the Playstation so it kinda made sense to go with what I chose.

I played through the X Challenges last night and it was a lot of fun. You are pitted against two bosses from the X games at the same time and that makes things super chaotic. You can choose 3 special weapons before you start so there is a bit of strategy there. Having to fight 6 bosses ( 2 bosses per fight but 3 fights per level ) means that you need to think which one will give you the most trouble and then go with a weapon that will take him out quickly.

After that, I fired up X and have done the first 3 stages. The game is timeless and I could play it again and again. I look forward to making my way through the first 4 games over the weekend.

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was back and forth as to what platform to buy this on and I decided to go with the PS4 version. Better d-pad and trophy support makes it the right choice for me. Also, more of the X games were originally on the Playstation so it kinda made sense to go with what I chose.

Bolded is the only reason why you got it on PS4 :p 

Tempted to get it myself but at 20€ it's a bit steep right now for me, especially since I ordered Prey recently and because I'm in a gaming lull.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I only ever played the first Mega Man X and loved that one (never owned it but we rented it a lot back then!). So I'm tempted to pick up at least the first Legacy X. The last few games are said to be worse anyway. 

I don't really get the hate for X5 and X6. I found them to be good games. X7 was never good though but X8 got things back on track again. It's just a shame Axl is now part of the series. :shakehead

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Bolded is the only reason why you got it on PS4 :p 

Haha. They do have an impact of what platform I play a game on. If the list looks doable then I will usually get it on the PS4 but if it looks to be a grind or there are lots of missables then the Switch version it is.

Heard the PS4 version has input lag. The Switch version does as well but not heard it's the same or not. The Switch version also apparently has slowdown not present in the original games for X1, not sure about the other games.

Also heard something about screen tearing, not sure which versions have that though.

20 minutes ago, Ike said:

Heard the PS4 version has input lag. The Switch version does as well but not heard it's the same or not. The Switch version also apparently has slowdown not present in the original games for X1, not sure about the other games.

Also heard something about screen tearing, not sure which versions have that though.

I've not noticed any input lag in the time i've played on it but then i'm not overly sensitive to such things. Both versions are supposed to have screen tearing in it but again I have yet to experience any. 

That's X1 done and dusted and all the trophies collected for it. It's still an absolute joy to play.

I'll probably crack on with X2 in the morning. It's my least favourite on this collection and the one I'm least familiar with.

@Ike I did notice some screen tearing on one of the levels but it was only when I was going the the boss door. Other than that it's been fine.

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's X1 done and dusted and all the trophies collected for it. It's still an absolute joy to play.

I'll probably crack on with X2 in the morning. It's my least favourite on this collection and the one I'm least familiar with.

@Ike I did notice some screen tearing on one of the levels but it was only when I was going the the boss door. Other than that it's been fine.

If it's that rare then it's not as bad as people made out.

I've only ever played X1 and a little of X2 and I do want to play the rest, will pick this up eventually.

X2 is now completed and all trophies nabbed. It's certainly more difficult than the original game, with some cheap deaths being placed in certain areas. Sigma was far easier, though.

I'm quite enjoying the trophies in the game. They encourage you to take on bosses with certain weapons, usually ones that you aren't meant to fight them with. One of them in X2 was a bit of a pain though. You had to get through the whole stage without being seen off search lights. If you did happen to get seen then you had to reset the whole thing otherwise it doesn't count. What makes it even more of a hassle is that you can't beat the boss and then just come back and tackle it later on. It has to be done in a single run.

On to X3! Gutted they used the SNES version for this. The Saturn version had that awesome opening that I used to watch over and over as a youngster.

That's X3 finished and all trophies nabbed.

It was certainly tougher than the other two, especially at the beginning. It took a fair while before I started to feel powered up. 

It's a shame there isn't really an area where you can farm health pick ups for your Sub Tanks like there are in the previous two games. It takes a while to fill them back up once you're empty.

I encountered some more tearing while playing X3. It's very strange because the level I seen it on had it from the very start. I then died and once I respawned it was back to normal. Very weird.

It's now on to the proper PlayStation era of X games with X4 but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Playing so much MM has my hands hurting and my eyes feel like they are bleeding.