NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon Gold & Silver (3DS eShop)

11643312-1344539766746912.jpg

Available to pre-order now on the Nintendo Store. :D

• Thanks 2

So annoyed I bought Silver and then a week or two after this is announced.....They're forcing my hand here.

• Haha 1

Anyone know why I can't do Mystery Gift on this? Seen youtube videos and Gamefaqs that say it should be possible, but nothing happens. Could it be because one is a 3DS XL and one is a New 3DS XL?

7 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Anyone know why I can't do Mystery Gift on this? Seen youtube videos and Gamefaqs that say it should be possible, but nothing happens. Could it be because one is a 3DS XL and one is a New 3DS XL?

Hmm... @Dcubed? Does the old 3DS have a IR connector? I can't remember.

It does! If memory serves, it's how the circle pad connected. Plus, it has a shiny bit of plastic that looks a lot like the one on it's New counterpart.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shorty said:

It does (the XL, anyway)! Or at least, it has a little shiny bit of plastic that looks an awful lot like one.

Well, I'm gonna have to ask stupid questions now.

Have you actually unlocked Mystery Gift yet? You need to talk to a certain girl in the Goldenrod Store. (Obviously, on both versions of the game)

The only other problem I can think of is that you're not lining up the IR connectors correctly.

That's all I can think of.

Edited by Glen-i

Mystery Gift definitely works on the 3DS VC version, using the 3DS' IR port (and all 3DS models have that IR port).  It doesn't work with actual GBC copies, but it does work between 3DS VC versions.

So yeah, make sure it is unlocked in both copies and that you're lining the IR ports up properly.

Yeah it's unlocked. The option's not even there until it is, right? Either way we both spoke to the person in Goldenrod.

I've lined them up pretty well! How far apart should they be? I'll give it another go this week.

On an unrelated note I caught Lugia and beat the Elite Four last night :D

Playing through Crystal has made me remember that a lot of the Gen 2 Pokemon are really not very good at battling in Gen 2. Whether it be utterly awful movesets (Chikorita), completely awful stats, (Any Pokemon that got an evolution in Gen 4) or even a type that just doesn't suit it's stat spread.

That last one is a strange one. Mostly because of coolest starter Totodile. It's a Water Pokemon with high attack, makes perfect sense as a concept. A Crocodile Pokemon would be expected to focus on attack and be Water type. Shame Water moves are classified as Special. Still, it learns Bite. Oh wait, hang on. That's a Special move in Gen 2. Because reasons.

Gen 4 really did fix a lot of stupid problems with some much needed evolutions and the glorious Physical/Special split.

I started my journey by doing the most important thing, throwing away my bed. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let Mum use it when I'm gone. I got Joey's number, than immediately deleted him, the thought of him trying to phone me, but not getting through makes me very happy. I beat up Falkner's hacked Lv 9 Pidgeotto, which was a breeze compared to the HG/SS version, and some other stuff.

Anyway, I'm up to Goldenrod City, here's my team. Nickname in brackets.

Croconaw (Dalbert) - Lv 25

Yeah, that's it. I'm probably gonna trade 3 of my team from Yellow (Charizard, Marowak and Hypno), might as well. I definitely remember the huge grind needed if you want to battle Red, that should cut down on things. I plan on getting a Scyther from the Bug Catching Contest on Saturday, so I have to wait for that. And then round it up with a Tyranitar, which is available only after getting all 16 badges... Bugger.

Gen 2 might have a pretty small region, but the speed of everything makes it a million times more playable than Gen 1, which is like watching paint dry.

@Shorty, did you manage to get Mystery Gift working? I'm gonna try it once @Ugh first aid gets to Goldenrod City.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Mine arrived from (Dutch retailer) bol.com, in an ffing envelop... What a mess.... All tears and creases so I returned it and will try to find a copy in the city.

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Playing through Crystal has made me remember that a lot of the Gen 2 Pokemon are really not very good at battling in Gen 2. Whether it be utterly awful movesets (Chikorita), completely awful stats, (Any Pokemon that got an evolution in Gen 4) or even a type that just doesn't suit it's stat spread.

Spinarak learns String Shot and then Scary Face because it needs to know 2 speed lowering moves for some reason.

Tried the duplication exploit to get all the starters, ended up corrupting my Totodile. Must've reset too early.:cry:

Love you can get a Poliwag straight away though, used one for the whole of my first playthrough on my original copy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ike said:

Yay my box copy survived Royal Mail and arrived intact.

Same here! It’s looking good next to the other two! :D 

4c7wiMV.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ike said:

Aw, Mareep isn't in Crystal? Boo!

Are you @Ugh first aid? She had the same reaction once I told her that. A shame too, because Ampharos is one of the few Gen 2 Pokémon that's actually quite good in Crystal.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Are you @Ugh first aid? She had the same reaction once I told her that. A shame too, because Ampharos is one of the few Gen 2 Pokémon that's actually quite good in Crystal.

Oops, the jig is up. :p

The Mareep line are one of my favourite gen 2 Pokemon. Caught a Heracross (another of my favourite) today though. Shame Scizor and Slowking, 2 of my other favourites, won't be available to me as I have no one to trade with.

Looking at the movelist for Hoppip and it only gets Tackle as an offensive move until level 30 (Mega Drain) if you don't evolve it. And Jumpluff learns it at 44... 

Got a shiny Magby from the odd egg! (The odd egg has high chance of being shiny).

• Thanks 2

Barely managed to beat Whitney, I might have been slightly under leveled. Had to revive Heracross as I was down to my last 'mon. Tried to poison the Milktank and get a Reflect up but between Attract and PoisonPowder missing twice I wasn't able to. A couple of Smokescreens and Leers helped quite a bit.

Accidentally deleted Water Gun for Doubleslap on my Poliwag because apparently the game doesn't ask to confirm. :cry:

Also, speaking of Mystery Gift, does it work with the Pocket Pikachu Color? 

7 hours ago, Ike said:

Also, speaking of Mystery Gift, does it work with the Pocket Pikachu Color? 

Sadly not.  Some people have tried it to no avail :( 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Sadly not.  Some people have tried it to no avail :( 

Aw, shame. Was going to dig mine out. Guess they didn't think it was worth the effort.

51 minutes ago, Ike said:

Aw, shame. Was going to dig mine out. Guess they didn't think it was worth the effort.

Same.  I’ve still got mine too.  Was keen to give it a try.  Alas though...

(TBH I was actually shocked to see them actually bother to emulate the GBC’s IR port at all for Mystery Gift! No other prior GB/GBC VC game did it!)

• Thanks 1

PadyCeYh.jpg

All done! 28 hours and 46 minutes later. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Red's team isn't very good. Only my Scizor fainted whittling down his Snorlax. No items used either, items are for scrubs.

Anyway, here was my final team. Guess who the HM Slaves were.

gKsLLlPh.jpg

Dalbert is the Feraligatr. Barry's a Dragonite and Dave's the Scizor.

Crystal still holds up nicely, even if only two trainers have Pokémon higher than Level 50.

I'm gonna start breeding some more competitive Pokémon later. Try out the Battle Tower.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somehow I always end up with very shitty teams when I near the Elite Four in most Pokémon games, but this time I was particularly lacking in the variety of types I had so I got stuck grinding in Victory Road for a while to buff my team up a bit.

Though, in the end, my Xatu and Feraligatr fucked up some fools and my level 41 Jumpluff took out Lance's three Dragonite's with only Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Tackle. That felt pretty epic and am quite proud of the little guy.

I'm quite happy these games are connected to the Pokémon Bank and I am trying my best to actually "Catch 'em All", but Pokémon you can only get through trading will need some help. I also was able to buy Alpha Sapphire on the cheap. looking forward to revisiting my favourite Pokémon game (or maybe this is just the power of nostalgia since it was the only Pokémon game I never owned originally but played on an emulator)

I have fallen into a mad Pokémon addiction as of late and I am forgetting to play any other games :o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this