N-Europe

Smash Bros Switch

Hogge

So I just saw this:

So basically, Reggie has confirmed what everyone already knew. But he still confirmed it!

So let's start this thread about what we want to see in the new Smash Bros.

Personally, I'd like a more substantial singleplayer campaign, something akin to Subspace Emissary.

Also, I'd like to see Inklings as playable characters.

I'm still convinced this will be a Smash 4 port. If that's the case than I hope there will be a lot more modes, characters and stages added or I'll pass. A new and substantial Adventure mode like the SSE might also do the trick for me.

Oh, and of course Wart, if they add him it'll be day one ;)

There's a 99.9% chance that it's a port of Smash Bros for Wii U with a few new characters (Rayman and Ice Climbers being dead certs considering that they were cut originally) and all the 3DS content added in (Switch is also a handheld, so it can properly do justice to stages like Golden Plains and Pacmaze; not to mention Smash Run). Maybe a few extra retro stages thrown in for good measure.

Done. Probably will be announced at E3 and released in November.

Can they really do much better than Smash 4? Like Mario Kart 8 they seem to have perfected the gameplay.

Could do with some more Fire Emblem characters. There's a new one in May so they 2 new characters right there. :p

Didn't get it for Wii U (as I don't have a Wii U) but I'm already looking forward to this game.

Still saddens me that the story mode, Subspace Emissary, was cut due to leaks last time around. Perhaps it could be added back in for this version of the game?

Me neither. It was full of characters and stages but not an awful lot to do.

That's a good point, it really needed a better single player. I enjoyed the 3DS single player mode, but the Wii U one looked terrible from what I saw.

You nearly gave me a bloody heart attack, @Hogge! I thought it was something concrete!

Just combining the 3DS stages into the WiiU version is enough of a sell for me.

I play Smash at least once a week in 8-player Smash and more characters always gets the kids at my community excited. Unless it's Cloud, who everyone was too young to recognise. On the other hand, Lucas got the best reaction, because he was in Brawl, a Wii game that pretty much everyone played.

Funny thing is, Cloud is one of the more popular choices now. Along with Kirby. No-one ever chooses Olimar. Poor Olimar.

You try explaining to a bunch of 6-12 year olds where Bayonetta came from though. It got even better when someone won with her and she did this victory pose.

latest?cb=20160205215708

There were many outcrys of "EWWWWW"

Kids are hilarious!

This game gives me big massive smiles whenever I think of it. Bring back Ice Climbers! Hell, throw in Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake (Wouldn't get your hopes up for Snake), I don't care if they're not really new. More is better! (Splatoon Kid is so in as well, and I'm fine with that, I need something Splatoon related that I actually enjoy)

I could've sworn that Nintendo said that SSB4 will be ported over to the Switch and will be the port with the least additions?

I always had it that Super Smash Bros was the title that was king at customization haha from items, player vs player (with cpu) like 1 vs 3/2 vs 2/etc etc. But I dunno, Nintendo seem to not know how to improve the series (without changing the series into something that prob wont be admired as much). I heard Sakurai speak similar words. But for goodness sake, ..... MODES! For a simple starter, add lots of FUN modes! So say you hop online, you can do singles (a seperate mode), free for all (its own mode), teams (its own mode), tag switch style (its own mode) and so on.

These could be played with randoms, friends (same console and online friends) with randoms) and so on. A tourney mode could be similar; singles tourney, team tourney and so on -- friends enter together, with randoms (whom you can communicate with for great teamwork and make friends with naturally!) etc etc etc. Just nail the basics and make it a sincere joy to play! :D

Actual gameplay could see cool things like tag attacks when switching out (perhaps only if you accomplish landing a certain type of hit before switching, as it may be annoying if people keep switching just to try to get cheap switch attacks). Awesome magical attacks from characters with magical swords/weapons (magical systems similar to Lucario's ↓+B teleportation/agility attack when he 'catches' an attack and 'throws it back' in a way) which really could switch gameplay up in all kinds of creative ways. Mario could have new attacks like throwing his hat like in Odessy and maybe even using it to jump onto like Sonic jumps on his thing to propel himself higher/further distances. Just go all out with insane moves and characters.

Like you could include character like the Turtles with their cool weapons, the No More Heroes dude with his weapon, Fire Emblem characters with their weapons, Link with his weapon, the Xenoblade fella with his weapon and the Final Fantasy bozo with his weapon... basically making characters with weapons have a kinda game changing aspect. Heck you could do a Smash Bros where it's like Nintendo vs Marvel, so you see the likes of Captain America with his shield that has increased defense and awesome boomerang-like attacks. Thor with his mighty happer. Ironman with all sorts of insane abilities (suited characters like Samus, Ironman, Megaman etc could all have suit-based abilities like momentary forcefields and such).

Dudes.... there is sooooo much to experiment with and to me everything at current just seems kinda meh but still fun of course coz Smash Bros is epic in nature haha.

Stages can be much more creative, like consider removing the 'platforms' and makes the players HulkSmash eachother actually on/in the level (some stages do this already), but make it more epic such as the 'space' stages you could be fighting on a huge meteor that is shooting across the universe, or you could be hopping from asteroid to asteroid similar to the Fzero stage when fighting upon racing vehicles. You can smash each other into different areas, so in space you can smash em to surrounding planets (with epic transitions) and take the battle there (apply this to lots of stages).

And please..... make the visuals look breathtaking! Cartoony of course but just incredibly fluent and alive and spectacularly detailed.

With 8 player matches, possibly have the tv showing the whole stage but on your Switch screen be more zoomed in to your area.

Each Smash game would vary because individual games would change a character's move set, attire, stage and so on. The game would still be Smash but with that breath of fresh air added to it. Oh yeah and a more interesting story mode for sure. I quite liked the idea of Sub-space Emissary, but I dunno, a better story mode would be appreciated. As ever, brainstorm cool ideas thoroughly with a team and make something epic happen. Whipping up cheap story mode just isn't on.

Oh yeah and make fun challenges like target smash and the make-it-to-the-end challenge (the one where you kinda run through a mazey stage and I cant remember if there's a timer), you could do modes on those and online like a bunch of players competing (including friends, same console players and randoms) as individuals or teams. Just go full throttle haha. So so so much that could be done.

Edited by Beverage

I still play Wii U Smash Bros every few weeks, I'd be pretty happy if they did port a Deluxe version or just call it Smash Switch. A few things I'd like to see:

- Better menus (I literally only realised the other month that I had not unlocked some levels as Events mode was pretty hidden away!)

- Bring back the Brawl style break the targets mode; not keen on the bombs break the targets

- Bring back the Ice Climbers!

- More characters and more Pokemon related content

- More advanced level creator

Can they really do much better than Smash 4? Like Mario Kart 8 they seem to have perfected the gameplay.

There's a lot that could be improved over MK8.

For example, there could be a more substantial single-player campaign. I thought that the four cups in Mario Kart 64 was a bit archaic when I got that game. How about something akin to Diddy Kong Racing instead?

Also, I don't want to unlock characters and car parts by random. Give players coins so you can unlock the stuff you want, in whichever order you want. Or create specific tasks for players to complete.

That being said, I wouldn't actually mind if the next Smash would hold an identical visual level with the Wii U version, and thus reuse assets and just expand upon it. Yet again, I'd like a more substantial single player mode. Something perhaps similar to Subspace Emissary, only perhaps deeper.

Edited by Hogge

There's a lot that could be improved over MK8.

For example, there could be a more substantial single-player campaign. I thought that the four cups in Mario Kart 64 was a bit archaic when I got that game. How about something akin to Diddy Kong Racing instead?

Also, I don't want to unlock characters and car parts by random. Give players coins so you can unlock the stuff you want, in whichever order you want. Or create specific tasks for players to complete.

That being said, I wouldn't actually mind if the next Smash would hold an identical visual level with the Wii U version, and thus reuse assets and just expand upon it. Yet again, I'd like a more substantial single player mode. Something perhaps similar to Subspace Emissary, only perhaps deeper.

I agree, there need to be substantial additions in modes, characters, cups, levels, weapons, etc. to win me over and (re)buy these titles wich I payed full price for only just one generation ago (and full price DLC). For me, slight enhancements won't be enough to double dip (sort of).

I don't understand where the love for the stodgy Subspace Emissary campaign is coming from. Do you not remember playing it?

Rip the bosses from there and shove them into a beefed-up Events mode along with target smashes and the odd individually-crafted platforming level. Sure that wouldn't lend itself well to a story, but good luck weaving a decent narrative from a roster of 30 characters from different universes.

I'd much rather face a list of fun, stupid challenges than I would a 2D platformer with Smash mechanics made only out of a sense of obligation.

I don't understand where the love for the stodgy Subspace Emissary campaign is coming from. Do you not remember playing it?

Rip the bosses from there and shove them into a beefed-up Events mode along with target smashes and the odd individually-crafted platforming level. Sure that wouldn't lend itself well to a story, but good luck weaving a decent narrative from a roster of 30 characters from different universes.

I'd much rather face a list of fun, stupid challenges than I would a 2D platformer with Smash mechanics made only out of a sense of obligation.

Ever played a Kirby game? That's basically Smash Bros. Platformer.

Co-op Subspace is loads of fun! It's quite beefy as well and the higher difficulties are quite difficult.

The Great Maze might have been a touch overkill, sure. But it was a solid side-scrolling beat-em-up

And I agree that the bosses were great!

As for the narrative, no-one wanted a sweeping epic full of drama and romance and such. It's there for silly Mario meets Pit style shenanigans. A whole bunch of "What if's"

If you're a long time game enthusiast and don't raise a smile at the cutscene where Lucario uses Aura to see through Snake's Cardboard box, you take things far too seriously.

Or what about Shiek and Fox getting into a fight only for the whole thing to immediately stop when Peach brews some tea?

It's cool to see these interactions.

EDIT: And for what it's worth. Lucas has a surprisingly moving story arc. It was quite touching watching him start from a coward who ditched Ness to save himself and end up saving Pokemon Trainer with no concern for himself. It's lovely and a nice mirror to his character development in Mother 3.

The best part is that in Smash 4, he smiles a lot more than he did in Brawl. Cool little touch there.

Also, if you do it right, you can finish the game with only Bowser, Kirby, King Dedede, Ness, Luigi and Sonic. They're the only mandatory characters. Everyone else can be left in Subspace, never to return. Which is funny.

Edited by Glen-i