NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

15 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

I was interested in this. Does it play like the old R-Type/Nemesis games?

No, it's not on-rails like those.  If it was, and it used credits like a true arcade game, it would be better.  It would also be better if it was a true Metroidvania with permanent upgrades, but unfortunately it's not that either.

The best way to describe is as one large play area (or "maze") that you move back and forth around, locating and defeating bosses.  You do power up your weapon and sub-weapon in a similar way to R-Type, but when you get a Game Over you lose everything apart from the shortcuts you've made by defeating the bosses.  You can spend hours gathering your weapons again (which seem to get placed further and further away from you), then failing at a boss and repeating the process.

Extreme caution advised.

Completed Thumper. :cool: Definitely one of the most challenging games I’ve ever played! Super rewarding though, and the final levels were just mind blowing...

FreshGloomyIbis-size_restricted.gif

It demands such a monumental amount of focus (especially in the later stages) that you cannot help but be completely sucked into the game. You basically have to reach a point where the controller inputs are automatic! :laughing: Kinda wish I could’ve played this 20 years ago when my reflexes were a bit more with it. :heh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought, played and finished Yono: The Celestial Elephant, this evening. The game is very short and, apart from from one puzzle, very easy, especially if you're used to block puzzles in the likes of Zelda and Pokemon.

I played the game exclusively using off screen play and there seemed to be performance issues. It looked like there were a few framerate dips here and there.

Had the game been a cheaper price I think it would be easier to recommend but there are far better eShop titles out there at the moment, some of which are priced cheaper and offer a better and longer experience.

It's not all bad. The game does have charm to it. Yono looks great, especially in some of the costumes you can buy, and some of the dialogue is quite humorous, as well.

I was looking forward to this after seeing it in the Nindie showcase. It's a shame it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12th of October brings this barrel of goodies to the Switch eShop;

Switch Retail Download
Sine Mora EX (THQ Nordic, €29.99 / £24.99)
88 Heroes: 98 Heroes Edition (Rising Star Games, €29.99 / £29.99)
Tiny Barbarian DX (Nicalis, €29.99 / £26.99)
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle (NIS America, €29.99 / £29.99) – Available from Friday, 13th of October.

Switch eShop
Wulverblade (Fully Illustrated, €16.99 / £14.99)
The Flame in the Flood (The Molasses Flood, €14.99 / £14.99)
Yono and the Celestial Elephants (Plug In Digital, €14.99 / £12.99)
Unbox: Newbie’s Adventure (Merge Games, €26.99 / £22.49 until 18th October, then €29.99 / £24.99)
Neon Chrome (10Tons, €14.99 / £12.99)
Squareboy vs Bullies: Arena Edition (Ratalaika Games, €4.99 / £4.49)
The King of Fighters ’95 (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

Switch eShop Demo
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas (FDG Entertainment, free)

Switch eShop Temporary Discounts
Infinite Minigolf (Zen Studios, €10.49 / £9.44 until 17th October, regular price €14.99 / £13.49)
The Bridge (The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild, €7.49 / £6.74 until 2nd November, regular price €9.99 / £8.99)

• Thanks 1

I'm finally done with Mighty Gunvolt Burst!

Spoiler

DL4E5r2UMAApe9U.jpg

DL4EzbSVQAAIdT7.jpg

DL4EsWsUIAAXaV-.jpgDL4ElYIUQAA9Gv3.jpg

DL4EX6uVoAAaXI8.jpg

DL4EPWPUEAApie4.jpg

DL4EeyJVoAAjLd8.jpg

It was a hell of a ride. Don't let those times on the results fool you, it took multiple attempts and playthroughs to get the times down to those levels. As you can see, my Switch clock shows that it's taken 25 hours ( I expect this to be closer to 30 once it updates ) to achieve 100%. 

This is certainly one of my favourite games on the Switch. Considering that the base game is £10, you get some free DLC and 2 new characters at only £1.80 each, the game certainly is well worth the money, especially if you want to tackle the challenges. The ones where I had to beat the game under an hour and beat the game without using upgrades were toughies but very satisfying. The speed run especially felt good as I usually suck when it comes to doing games in a set time.

I read a few complaints on other forums about Inti Creates charging for the two extra characters. I dunno what people are up in arms about. They are very cheap, clearly weren't cut for the main game and played very differently to the others that were on offer. Inti already gave players free DLC in this and Blaster Master Zero. I guess people just want everything to be free. ::shrug:

Speaking of BMZ, that is the next game i'm aiming to finish off. I have two more characters to finish that game with and then that can go on the completed pile. I swear i'm going to get this eShop backlog under control. :D 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Bought, played and finished Yono: The Celestial Elephant, this evening. 

I intended to get this this week, next to Wulverblade and Flame in the flood, but got second thoughts. Glad I held off now, as you confirm my suspicion. I intend to buy a couple more e-shop games before Mario arrives, and while all those games do something distinctly different than Mario or Zelda, I thought this one, despite how charming it looks, is just going to feel disappointing compared to those games.

Edit:

About the framerate, is the game using Unity? Just curious.

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I read a few complaints on other forums about Inti Creates charging for the two extra characters. I dunno what people are up in arms about. They are very cheap, clearly weren't cut for the main game and played very differently to the others that were on offer. Inti already gave players free DLC in this and Blaster Master Zero. I guess people just want everything to be free. ::shrug:

I felt like I was robbing them when I got those free characters, even though I haven't used them yet (and may not even use them in Blaster Master 0's case). Clearly some effort went into them, new sprites, new abilities, and they need to test for balance and adjust accordingly. I bought that dlc as soon as they were up with no regrets. Just for support.

32 minutes ago, Blade said:

@Hero-of-Time do you know if there is a demo for Mighty Gunvolt Burst?

I agree with Hero on this one. If you like the NES Megaman games, this is a must-buy. No demo needed. 

Edit:

Just to add some quick comments on Wulverblade and Flame in the floods:

I have an issue with Wulverblade where certain button combinations trigger the menu for some reason.. Plus, like usual, I'm not fond of Flast style animation. But I obviously already made peace with that as I bought the game. Other than that: the game is fantastic. Fluid combat, gorgeous artstyle, some cool voice acting, and there's even an educational side to it! :D Oh hey, and even achievements for those who want them. I love games where it's clear a lot of passion went into it, this is one of those games.

Flame in the flood is good to. Port seems fine, unlike some other indie ports, I have not encountered any framerate issues so far. The game has been fun so far as well. I like the style, and even though I do not care for country music at all, I can appreciate certain music styles within the right context, and it fits perfectly here. The game has a cool atmosphere.

Edited by Sméagol

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I intended to get this this week, next to Wulverblade and Flame in the flood, but got second thoughts. Glad I held off now, as you confirm my suspicion. I intend to buy a couple more e-shop games before Mario arrives, and while all those games do something distinctly different than Mario or Zelda, I thought this one, despite how charming it looks, is just going to feel disappointing compared to those games.

I felt like I was robbing them when I got those free characters, even though I haven't used them yet (and may not even use them in Blaster Master 0's case). Clearly some effort went into them, new sprites, new abilities, and they need to test for balance and adjust accordingly. I bought that dlc as soon as they were up with no regrets. Just for support.

I agree with Hero on this one. If you like the NES Megaman games, this is a must-buy. No demo needed. 

Yono would be great game to start a young gamer on if you wanted to teach them how to play puzzle games but for seasoned gamers there's nothing new to see.

I was going to pick up Wulverblade today but I've been reading mixed impressions for it. It seems the game is balanced more towards co-op play rather than single player.

Yeah, I have no issue giving Inti Creates some extra cash. Both Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt Burst are fantastic games.  I'll be handing over another £1.80 as I didn't realize that Shovel Knight was out. I thought I only had to complete BMZ 2 more times but it looks like another session is on the cards. :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yono would be great game to start a young gamer on if you wanted to teach them how to play puzzle games but for seasoned gamers there's nothing new to see

Yeah, that's kind of the impression I was getting from it too.  It's good to see some good games coming out that are more suitable for younger players though; there is generally very little to choose from, in terms of modern releases, outside of Nintendo games, Minecraft and Lego games these days, so it's something we really need to see more of.

Completed Thumper. :cool: Definitely one of the most challenging games I’ve ever played! Super rewarding though, and the final levels were just mind blowing...

FreshGloomyIbis-size_restricted.gif

It demands such a monumental amount of focus (especially in the later stages) that you cannot help but be completely sucked into the game. You basically have to reach a point where the controller inputs are automatic! :laughing: Kinda wish I could’ve played this 20 years ago when my reflexes were a bit more with it. :heh:

Yeah, I loved Thumper.  It's such an utterly nervewracking game!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

They have added a 'Current Offers' tab to the eshop, which is handy:

DMONBzCXcAEvQc3.jpg

Edited by Helmsly

And we still don’t have any sort of categories whatsoever...

Games are already getting buried.  We need categories (like demos, genre, publisher etc) and filtering options (A-Z, release date, All Games etc) ASAP!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

and filtering options (A-Z, release date, All Games etc) ASAP!

You can filter by release date, price and genre in the New Releases section, but it's tucked behind the "view more" button.

This offers section is a nice addition, but the Switch eShop is still miles behind previous versions. Also, I want my elevator music Nintendo!! :hehe:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I love how fast it is though. Trying to buy a game on the PS4 is horrendous, but it's really quick and easy here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Games are already getting buried.  We need categories (like demos, genre, publisher etc) and filtering options (A-Z, release date, All Games etc) ASAP!

My guess? Nintendo never thought they would get such a big library so fast :P. I hope they sort it out soon though, because it's getting hard to find games.

• Thanks 1

DOOM release date confirmed at November 10th in US and Europe. That's about a month sooner than I thought so should bode well for the quality of the port. Bethesda really like stacking their releases close to each other though, first Evil Within and Wolfenstein are released 2 weeks apart and now DOOM and Skyrim are released within 7 days of each other.

19th of October Switch eShop releases;

Switch Retail Downloads
Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo, €59.99 / £49.99) – Available from 20th October.
Fire Emblem Warriors Deluxe Edition (Nintendo, €79.98 / £67.98, includes the Season Pass) – Available from Friday, 20th of October.
The LEGO Ninjago Movie Video Game (WB Games, €59.99 / £49.99) – Available from Friday, 20th of October.

Switch eShop
Rogue Trooper Redux (RebellionInteract, €24.99 / £19.99)
Spelunker Party! (Square Enix, €29.99 / £24.99)
The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (Jackbox Games, €21.99 / £19.99)
The Count Lucanor (Merge Games, €13.49 / £10.79 until 25th October, regular price €14.99 / £11.99)
Elliot Quest (PlayEveryWare Games, €9.99 / £8.99)
Syberia (Microïds, €29.99 / £26.99) – Available from Friday, 20th of October.
Party Golf (Giant Margarita, €14.99 / £13.49)
JYDGE (10tons, €14.99 / £12.99)
Putty Pals (Harmonious Games, €8.50 / £7.50)
Don’t Knock Twice (Wales Interactive, €9.99 / £7.99 until 14th November, regular price €12.49 / £9.99)
Robo Army (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)
Revenant Saga (KEMCO, €12.99 / £11.69)
Super Ping Pong Trick Shot (Starsign, €4.99 / £4.49)

Switch and New 3DS DLC
Fire Emblem Warriors Season Pass (Nintendo, €19.99 / £17.99) – Will include three DLC packs and will unlock a Lucina Bridal Costume for immediate use.

Nintendo Switch DLC
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle – Ultra Challenge Pack (Ubisoft, €6.99 / £5.80, or included in the season pass)
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle – Koishi Komeiji (NIS America, €0.49 / £0.40)

Switch eShop Temporary Discounts
Vaccine (Rainy Frog, €6.99 / £6.29 until 2nd November, regular price €9.99 / £8.99)

• Thanks 2

Definitely getting Elliot Quest and the Count Lucanor looks interesting too

I'd like to elaborate later, but: Count Lucanor is enjoyable, but incredibly short. I think I finished it in 3 hours.

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Some sort of Halloween sale is coming this week.

The only scary thing about it will be the lack of any decent discounts.

• Haha 7

I'm playing through The Mummy Demastered on Steam beta at the moment for review, and if anyone liked the WayForward Aliens Infestation on DS or Super Metroid (SNES) then you'll love this.  The 2D sprites/animation and layered backgrounds are gorgeous, the music is quintessentially 80/90s movie fare in a 16-bit chiptune style, the gameplay is slightly more run and gun than Metroid, but the exploration, map, upgrade system are near identical.  A great game, that I'm thoroughly enjoying, yet not loving.  But, I've said my piece about Super Metroid not clicking with me before.  Too much backtracking.  And, The Mummy Demastered adds more backtracking into its death routine.  This game will have something extra on that Switch screen, too.  Recommended for those who prefer the 2D sprites to the recently polygonal Samus Returns. 

• Thanks 1