NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

Weight Loss & Fitness 2017

N-E, it's our time to rise. We have definitely got our goals in our bag! We are strong-ass motherfuckers who takes no shit from nobody. What are your goals this year? What were they last year and have you met them? Do you have any tips and advice to share?

====

Mine was to get down from 20st 7lb to 15st 7lb and I managed to do it! I'm 15st 6lb now and my body fat has massively reduced too. I'm stronger, fitter and faster than I have ever been before and it feels so damn sexy! :bouncy:

This year is about working more on my fitness, strength and toning my skin so it doesn't become loose. I'm starting to get loose skin and stretchmarks everywhere which freaks me out a little but it could be worse.

I'm also going to attempt a half-marathon this year as well. I'm going to see about doing it for Marie Curie as that charity and hospice is very close to my heart. Any tips for you runners out there?

MY GOALS BY THE END OF THE YEAR: To get below 23% body fat, to use more weights, to run 20 miles and to continue being slim and working on my fitness.

Also, I wanted to show you guys this! This was done on 31st December 2016. I was tracking what I've been eating and exercising for 365 days. This is my results.

b106315301d5c6ceb7f043aac8a957eb.jpg

PREVIOUS WEIGHT LOSS AND FITNESS THREADS:

Edited by Animal

Back into the weights room today for the first time in ages. Surprisingly managed a decent amount.

I was in the best shape of my life at the start of October but this new job and being in London screwed me over a fair amount. Back to it now. No more excuses.

Nice work, @Animal, you're looking great!

I've been pretty bad with the fitness over the last couple of years or so, really hoping to get back into it once I get myself settled in a few months. My main targets are to up my general fitness and then try to bulk up a little bit and get back to how I was looking when I left University. I really don't like running much more than 10k so I'm going to set goals around that. So, goals within 2017:

10k time under 45 minutes (stretch goal under 40)

Get weight up to 13st through working out (stretch goal 14st)

I've not exercised in weeks. This is probably the longest I've gone without doing any form of exercise in years. Life is just far too busy at the moment with the house refurbishment and move.

2017 does mark the start of Operation: Build-Jim-a-Gym! Looking forward to the garage conversion. There will be a fair few photos throughout the year.

Nice work' date=' @Animal, you're looking great!

I've been pretty bad with the fitness over the last couple of years or so, really hoping to get back into it once I get myself settled in a few months. My main targets are to up my general fitness and then try to bulk up a little bit and get back to how I was looking when I left University. I really don't like running much more than 10k so I'm going to set goals around that. So, goals within 2017:

10k time under 45 minutes (stretch goal under 40)

Get weight up to 13st through working out (stretch goal 14st)[/quote']

Thanks, dude! I'm looking into running at the moment. I really enjoy it more than I thought I would but although I lack in speed, I can still run quite far without a break. Is running about speed as well?

Back into the weights room today for the first time in ages. Surprisingly managed a decent amount.

I was in the best shape of my life at the start of October but this new job and being in London screwed me over a fair amount. Back to it now. No more excuses.

You got this, mate!

I've not exercised in weeks. This is probably the longest I've gone without doing any form of exercise in years. Life is just far too busy at the moment with the house refurbishment and move.

2017 does mark the start of Operation: Build-Jim-a-Gym! Looking forward to the garage conversion. There will be a fair few photos throughout the year.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I must admit that I do love January because all of the fitness stuff is on sale. I've bought myself some boxing gloves and some wraps at the moment.

I need to find one of them running armbands that'll hold my iPod Touch too.

Thanks, dude! I'm looking into running at the moment. I really enjoy it more than I thought I would but although I lack in speed, I can still run quite far without a break. Is running about speed as well?

You got this, mate!

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I must admit that I do love January because all of the fitness stuff is on sale. I've bought myself some boxing gloves and some wraps at the moment.

I need to find one of them running armbands that'll hold my iPod Touch too.

Running isn't really about speed per se. As you get better conditioned you'll naturally get faster and be able to go for longer. Of course when most people refer to running, you're talking about endurance and for that stamina is far more important that speed. That said to constantly push yourself you're going to want to get your times down per km/mile, which entails going faster but it's all about slow consistent progress. If you try to go out too fast you'll end up knackering yourself and that is when running becomes a chore, when it becomes too difficult to achieve because you're not pacing yourself correctly.

Running isn't really about speed per se. As you get better conditioned you'll naturally get faster and be able to go for longer. Of course when most people refer to running, you're talking about endurance and for that stamina is far more important that speed. That said to constantly push yourself you're going to want to get your times down per km/mile, which entails going faster but it's all about slow consistent progress. If you try to go out too fast you'll end up knackering yourself and that is when running becomes a chore, when it becomes too difficult to achieve because you're not pacing yourself correctly.

As Sir Chris Hoy said (regarding cycling, but it still stands). It never gets easier, only faster.

As Sir Chris Hoy said (regarding cycling, but it still stands). It never gets easier, only faster.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Not to disagree with Sir Chris but I always felt in my own runs far better once my conditioning had hit a certain level, even when I was pushing myself as opposed to trying to do much too quickly.

To be fair Chris he's largely talking about sprinting, where it's max effort all the time, massively different to the feeling of steady state effort.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Not to disagree with Sir Chris but I always felt in my own runs far better once my conditioning had hit a certain level, even when I was pushing myself as opposed to trying to do much too quickly.

To be fair Chris he's largely talking about sprinting, where it's max effort all the time, massively different to the feeling of steady state effort.

Fair enough. He definitely is talking about sprinting, which was his discipline, so that would make sense it doesn't work for you.

When I run, swim or cycle I'm constantly trying to improve my time so in that respect the fitter I get the faster I go meaning my effort is always increasing.

5afa26a95e53eeff753f104d914f5735.jpg

I managed to do 13.05 miles yesterday! I'm so happy! I'm just gutted I stopped it when it was at that and not at 13.10 because that would have been a half-marathon!

Will probably buy a gym membership tomorrow, unless the gym looks like crap.

It's supposed to be a quite good gym for the price, though. :)

Looking to do the StrongLift 5x5 program as a start. I also need some alternatives if the barbells aren't free when I want to work out.

The gym also offers a lot of courses. Will try to find one that suits me :)

I really enjoyed stronglifts 5x5 for a good while, it's a great way to get into free weights and measure your progress. Even splashed out on the full app if I remember rightly.

I'm doing this 5/3/1 variation at the moment.

I started Week 4 yesterday. It was good to drop to a 3-day program over Xmas but now I'm back at work I'm getting itchy feet so I'm going to do a short session on the rowing machine today.

I've definitely put on some size but I'm pretty sure it's come with fat. But I'm just going to pull through, finish the six weeks, probably drop into PPL for a week at maintenance and see how everything is looking.

Stronglifts 5x5 is great and the app is perfect for it.

I've just signed up with a PT for 3 months. Want to make big progress and this will help me meet my goals.

Gym looked nice. Gonna do a trial session on Thursday or Friday and most likely get the membership after that : peace:

Really looking forward to it. :)

I can't wait to have all this house renovating/moving out of the way so we can get back to a more normal routine, including our working out routine! Feel bad that we haven't been able to exercise in almost a month. :(

Though I do seem to be stuck with a cold at the moment, so it probably wouldn't have been a great time to start back again anyway!

Back from the gym just now and finished my first StrongLift 5x5 workout since 2014.

It's so much fun :) Did Squats, Bench Press and Barbell Row with 30kg each (barbell + weight). It's a start :D

Can't wait to go back on Wednesday. : peace:

For the first time in a long while I've been training consistently. In the gym at least 4 times a week, 2 x upper body and 2 x lower body. Forgot how good it is to be able to destroy a heavy leg day and yet still be able to walk fine the next day once you get over than initial discomfort in the early workouts.

I've got back into the weight training recently. Doing a 5x5 session. 4 sessions a week rotating between 5x5 squats / 5x5 strict ohp / 5x5 deadlifts / 5x5 cleans. A chopped down version of SL (loving the SL love people!).

Thought I pulled a muscle in my back but turns out i have inflammed & infected kidneys... and i continued to push through the pain o___o possibly not the best idea.

Went to the gym for I believe the first time this year. 1.30 on the cross-trainer. About 30 reps on the abdominal machine. Then gave up. Place was rammed. But I saw some lasses with nice abs so it inspired me to keep going next time. Might buy a kettlebell so I can do some squats at home.

And started on drinking spirits instead of beer. I think that's better.

So I'm back posting in the weight loss and fitness thread for the first time in 8 years...

Back in 2009 I went from 12 stone 6lbs down to 9 stone 2lbs in about 7 months, with the help and advice of all you lovely people of course! I'm only 5ft 3, that's why that low weight might seem a bit shocking. Anyway, I had a bash on Wii Fit last night purely out of curiosity and there it was, a BMI of 31.5, or 13 stone! This is officially the heaviest I've been in my life and the first time I've seen the words "OBESE" next to my Mii. After a year or so of gradually gaining weight (I quit smoking last year and I'm convinced that had something to do with it), I'm going to try and shed 50lbs over the next 7-8 months.

Last time I did it all without going to the gym. I walked for about 60-90 mins every day and drastically decreased my intake of unhealthy food and snacks. I then maintained 10 stone or so for the better part of 6 years, most of which was spent either going to the gym twice a week or doing light exercise at home to keep up some level of fitness, this time I want to go with a mix of both walking and light training. Since I moved back to the UK I have done almost nothing by way of exercise and binged on all the food goodness I missed out on while I was abroad, I think a stone and a half of my weight gain has been in the last 5 months a lone.

I went for a walk this morning, about 2 miles, and despite working in a restaurant and being on my feet for hours everyday, I was exhausted within minutes. Going from being a teacher in Russia to working on my feet here, I guess I kind of naively thought I'd lose weight that way, or at least maintain my weight. I had obviously forgotten about free food. Pizza. Everyday and that has contributed massively as well I guess.

So, my plan for the first 2 weeks is simply to drink lots of water, cut out beer, pizza, pasta and heavy carbs and walk for 60 mins on every day when I'm not doing a double shift at work. Other areas I'm going to work on are getting my sleeping pattern under control, I usually do sleep 6-8 hours a night, but don't go to sleep until about 4 or 5am as I never have to be up before 11. Plus I'll be doing 20-30 mins of Wii Fit activities every day. When the two weeks is up, I'm hoping to join a gym and take it from there.

So this is Day 1 (again) and I weigh 13 Stone, or 182lbs.

I'll check back in after two weeks with an update. :grin:

So I'm back posting in the weight loss and fitness thread for the first time in 8 years...

Back in 2009 I went from 12 stone 6lbs down to 9 stone 2lbs in about 7 months, with the help and advice of all you lovely people of course! I'm only 5ft 3, that's why that low weight might seem a bit shocking. Anyway, I had a bash on Wii Fit last night purely out of curiosity and there it was, a BMI of 31.5, or 13 stone! This is officially the heaviest I've been in my life and the first time I've seen the words "OBESE" next to my Mii. After a year or so of gradually gaining weight (I quit smoking last year and I'm convinced that had something to do with it), I'm going to try and shed 50lbs over the next 7-8 months.

Last time I did it all without going to the gym. I walked for about 60-90 mins every day and drastically decreased my intake of unhealthy food and snacks. I then maintained 10 stone or so for the better part of 6 years, most of which was spent either going to the gym twice a week or doing light exercise at home to keep up some level of fitness, this time I want to go with a mix of both walking and light training. Since I moved back to the UK I have done almost nothing by way of exercise and binged on all the food goodness I missed out on while I was abroad, I think a stone and a half of my weight gain has been in the last 5 months a lone.

I went for a walk this morning, about 2 miles, and despite working in a restaurant and being on my feet for hours everyday, I was exhausted within minutes. Going from being a teacher in Russia to working on my feet here, I guess I kind of naively thought I'd lose weight that way, or at least maintain my weight. I had obviously forgotten about free food. Pizza. Everyday and that has contributed massively as well I guess.

So, my plan for the first 2 weeks is simply to drink lots of water, cut out beer, pizza, pasta and heavy carbs and walk for 60 mins on every day when I'm not doing a double shift at work. Other areas I'm going to work on are getting my sleeping pattern under control, I usually do sleep 6-8 hours a night, but don't go to sleep until about 4 or 5am as I never have to be up before 11. Plus I'll be doing 20-30 mins of Wii Fit activities every day. When the two weeks is up, I'm hoping to join a gym and take it from there.

So this is Day 1 (again) and I weigh 13 Stone, or 182lbs.

I'll check back in after two weeks with an update. :grin:

Take pictures. You won't regret it, I promise you!

Guys, I'M BORED OF WEIGHTS! I don't mean to sound horrible but this is the first time I feel my workouts are becoming a chore. I like the feeling of feeling strong but weights bore me to tears. Are there any alternatives that work just as well?

Take pictures. You won't regret it, I promise you!

Guys, I'M BORED OF WEIGHTS! I don't mean to sound horrible but this is the first time I feel my workouts are becoming a chore. I like the feeling of feeling strong but weights bore me to tears. Are there any alternatives that work just as well?

Why not change up your workout? Try a different routine.

For me fitness classes work really well, and I find them way more enjoyable. Does your gym offer them? Classes like bodypump or the cardio ones are great for this imo.

Alternatively you could get into a sport like, say, boxing. The trainings are very intense and improve strength as well.

Sign in to follow this