NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

Weight Loss & Fitness 2017

The home gym is virtually complete!

This was the original image of the inside of the garage. Basically, it was just used by the previous owners to store rubbish and wasn't used in an efficient way at all. We bought the house with the knowledge that we'd be converting this space into the new gym.

nQ5DoRJ.jpg

This was after the walls and ceiling had been painted. The ceiling itself had been redone as it was just old and manky. We also replaced the garage door from an up-and-over door to french doors, making it easier to get in and out and also providing better and more natural lighting. It was previously extremely dark and dingy in there.

CohFU7Z.jpg

These are the new doors:

hz8ZMnW.jpg

Now...this is what it looks like!

azH6lSg.jpg

We bought some rubber heavy duty gym flooring online and cut that to size. That was fun! It needs a bit of a clean, but it's a huge improvement on what was there beforehand...which was not a lot! We added in an additional plug socket next to @Eenuh's elliptical trainer, as there wasn't one there beforehand. As Eenuh also got a new TV for her birthday, we've recycled my old tv (which was a birthday gift from my Mum yeeeeears ago when I was at uni) and have mounted it to an arm on the wall. It's easy to move around and means that we've got something to look at whilst doing some cardio or weight lifting.

My power rack/cage came yesterday! It's the CF475 model by Bodymax and it comes with the Lat pulldown/low pulley attachment. It took hooooours putting it together yesterday and was not a simple exercise at the instructions that came with it were just pure crap. Seriously, some of the worst instructions I've ever seen. The booklet for the pulley system was only three pages long, with one of the pages just showing an image of the finished product. There were no numbered steps and no written instructions. Thankfully, the product is that good that it makes up for that. I'm looking forward to getting back into it. It's been over four months since I've been exercising...my longest time away from it all for a decade.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

What do you have plugged into the TV? Mightent you need another PS4?

What do you have plugged into the TV? Mightent you need another PS4?

:bowdown:

We were going to get it plugged into the tv aerial, but we were told that the signal would be pretty shit and so we're looking into alternatives. Firestick, something like that. Nothing is currently going into it yet. We're open to suggestions!

We can be on the elliptical/crosstrainer for as long as an hour, so it would be quite useful to have something to look at whilst you're doing that. Cardio can be such a drag otherwise.

Clearly you need another PS4 and a PSVR.

I've been tempted by the Pro...:heh:

Not enough software on VR for me just yet. Maybe in the future!

*cries at empty wallet*

Well you're missing the opportunity to use your bench as a virtual luge...

You should really think about it.

Well you're missing the opportunity to use your bench as a virtual luge...

You should really think about it.

Don't...tempt me, Frodo!

I had my first workout yesterday in the new gym and it felt great. Really feels good to be back at it. The new cage is a good piece of equipment and pretty much covers all of the bases. It feels good to actually be able to do proper pull-ups instead of the workaround that I had going on beforehand.

After a 1 1/2 month hiatus (got a cold and a bacterial infection...) from February until mid-March I've been going to the gym regularly.

Next workout:

57,5kg Squats

42,5kg Bench Press

35kg Barbell Row

I keep struggling with Barbell Row and Overhead Press...I realize that these exercises are for the smallest muscles that are trained in the StrongLift program but it's still somewhat annoying to make progress as small as this.

I've adjusted/improved my form a lot with the help of guides, videos and trainers so I hope it's just a matter of me not eating enough.

Before I started working out I ate at a calorie deficit for 2 months. I haven't increased my intake...but I just can't eat so much. I'm full quite quickly.

I am, however, able to chuck down insane amounts of rice and pasta so maybe I'll just have to eat more of that (unless that's bad?).t

After a 1 1/2 month hiatus (got a cold and a bacterial infection...) from February until mid-March I've been going to the gym regularly.

Next workout:

57,5kg Squats

42,5kg Bench Press

35kg Barbell Row

I keep struggling with Barbell Row and Overhead Press...I realize that these exercises are for the smallest muscles that are trained in the StrongLift program but it's still somewhat annoying to make progress as small as this.

I've adjusted/improved my form a lot with the help of guides, videos and trainers so I hope it's just a matter of me not eating enough.

Before I started working out I ate at a calorie deficit for 2 months. I haven't increased my intake...but I just can't eat so much. I'm full quite quickly.

I am, however, able to chuck down insane amounts of rice and pasta so maybe I'll just have to eat more of that (unless that's bad?).t

Progress with the overhead press is slooooow, man. I'd advise looking at a few videos or articles on technique as it's not an exercise that you can magically just get better at. It's definitely the one that I struggle with the most.

@drahkon

Try Pendlay Rows, they're amazing (make sure you're doing the negative on them).

And for OHP, try adding in some volume every other session. Either 10 sets of 5 reps or like 5 sets of 15 to 20 reps.

Try Pendlay Rows, they're amazing (make sure you're doing the negative on them).

Sadly I can't do them, yet. The weights are too light and in turn too small. I can't put the barbell down on the ground.

"Negative"? Do you mean slow on the way down?

Prop them up on other weights or a box. There's always a way!

Negatives are eccentric movements, so yeah in this case lowering the bar. I found they help pushing past plateaus.

Prop them up on other weights or a box. There's always a way!

You know what? I feel stupid for not thinking about that...:laughing:

Negatives are eccentric movements, so yeah in this case lowering the bar.

I see, thanks. Will try that next time. :)

I've forgotten just how much deadlifts take out of you. I was knackered after performing the exercise and I'm really feeling it today.

I've forgotten just how much deadlifts take out of you. I was knackered after performing the exercise and I'm really feeling it today.

I went back to it after a few months and the worst part for me was the damage to my hands. Probably went too heavy to start with and it ripped a good bit off my hand, took a couple of weeks before I could lift at heavier weight again without having to use straps.

I've reached a point at which I get sore muscles after every workout. Happened earlier than expected, to be honest.

What to do? I have to have longer breaks between each workout because I don't want to risk injuries (and because it would hurt like hell) but I would like to be able to workout every 2 or three days. :D

Should I workout whenever my muscles aren't sore and not increase the load?

Another question: Anybody know a good stretching plan that's great for beginners? I am the least flexible person on earth...

Very chuffed with my progress so far.

Squats - 62.5kg

BP - 45kg

Barbell Row - 35kg

OHP - 30kg

DL - 65

Thinking about changing my workouts a bit. Currently doing:

Workout A

Squats

BP

Barbell Row

Workout B

Squats

OHP

DL (1x5)

Would love to do 5x5 DL and replace Squats with something else in workout B. Bad idea? Good idea? Any recommendations?

DO NOT. Leg day is important dude.

Fuck, the leg gains I got when I did SL were incredible. And I terrified everyone at the gym :indeed:

I'm currently doing Keto combined with intermittent fasting, and I am planning to save enough to get some kind of squat rack. boooooooya. (i have no money and just bought a car on finance lol ::shrug:)

I've reached a point at which I get sore muscles after every workout. Happened earlier than expected, to be honest.

What to do? I have to have longer breaks between each workout because I don't want to risk injuries (and because it would hurt like hell) but I would like to be able to workout every 2 or three days. :D

Should I workout whenever my muscles aren't sore and not increase the load?

Another question: Anybody know a good stretching plan that's great for beginners? I am the least flexible person on earth...

Very chuffed with my progress so far.

Squats - 62.5kg

BP - 45kg

Barbell Row - 35kg

OHP - 30kg

DL - 65

Thinking about changing my workouts a bit. Currently doing:

Workout A

Squats

BP

Barbell Row

Workout B

Squats

OHP

DL (1x5)

Would love to do 5x5 DL and replace Squats with something else in workout B. Bad idea? Good idea? Any recommendations?

You'll be sore to start with and then your body will adapt to the work. The more regularly you exercise, the more your body will adapt and the soreness will disappear.

I currently workout roughly every other day. I'm on a similar program to you and I quite like it. It enables me to work all of my muscle groups, so I know I'm not neglecting anything. I supplement this with cardio (elliptical trainer) and additional isolation exercises, particularly for biceps, triceps and back work (lat pulldowns, pull-ups). Doing 5x5 deadlifts at higher weight will absolutely annihilate you and I wouldn't recommend doing that, at least not 5 sets of your highest weight. It's a very taxing exercise and will exhaust you. You don't want to deadlift a heavy weight and damage yourself due to fatigue.

DO NOT. Leg day is important dude.

I know. And squats are my favourite exercise, too.

You'll be sore to start with and then your body will adapt to the work. The more regularly you exercise, the more your body will adapt and the soreness will disappear.

But I don't want to take breaks for 4 days...I feel that this might be too long. Is it?

I can't do squats without at least 3 days of regeneration right now. But I really don't want to risk injuries while training with sore muscles.

A mate is doing 5x5 Deadlifts instead of squats in Workout B. He's done it for 2 years now and recommended it.

I'm still undecided.

How many days do you want to go?

I'm really enjoying PHUL at the moment. I go Mon/Tues, rest Wednesday, then back at it Thurs/Fri.

And I'm super stacked so you an trust me.

jokes itsmostlyconsistencyanddietivnoideahoweffective PHUL reallyisbutIthinkitsagoodone

I'm going Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I'd love to do SL for quite some time before doing something else.

I think it's juts a matter of letting my body adjust. So I probably need to give it the regeneration it needs.

Soreness is not dangerous. But that said, you shouldn't be sore for more than two, max three days. If that's the case, you are working it too hard and need to rest. If you are feeling sore, go do a lighter workout or something that only secondarily activates the muscles that are sore. E.g. if you are sore from squat, deadlift instead.

I hate not being sore, though. I feel lazy when I'm not because I think that I didn't do well enough in the last workout.

I've done an 80 kg clean and split jerk now. That was awesome and heavy! I'm 68-69 kg bodyweight so I feel rather good about the 80 kg.

Just make sure you stretch and warm up correctly and muscle soreness wont be a problem. muscle cramps, take a break, joint pain, stop.

But I don't want to take breaks for 4 days...I feel that this might be too long. Is it?

I can't do squats without at least 3 days of regeneration right now. But I really don't want to risk injuries while training with sore muscles.

A mate is doing 5x5 Deadlifts instead of squats in Workout B. He's done it for 2 years now and recommended it.

I'm still undecided.

4 days is a loooong time for a break. Are you getting enough nutrition and rest in there in between workouts? Are you doing any cardio at all? On the rest days, are you walking around and using those muscles?

The body will adapt. If you've been working out with squats for a month or so and you still need 4 days to recover every time, then something isn't right.

Sign in to follow this