NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

Ahh, the England cycle.

"New manager! Things will be different!"

*plays Rooney*

*win nothing/play shit*

Repeat.

Isn't it also depressing that Joe Hart can have a shitty Euros, receive a vote of no confidence from a world class manager in Guardiola before being shipped off to Torino and STILL start in goal for country? That tells you everything. Not enough competition and managers not being big enough to make bold decisions.

It's bizarre to have a weekend of football that culminates in Liverpool v Man Utd without a single post in this thread.. especially from @Fierce_LiNk :hehe:

I feel like the scheduling of a Monday night following an international break may have affected things but, regardless, I was disappointed. I'm glad we didn't lose, particularly due to the Ibrahimovic chance, but would have of course loved a victory.

Its almost sad to see how far Man U have fallen since Ferguson left.

"This is a point that stopped them winning three". Mourinho apparently said that. That's a terrible way for a manager of a club like Man United to be thinking.

As for the actual match, it wasn't too bad. What worries me though is just a change or two in Liverpool's team and we seem to lose all rhythm. There was an obvious uplift when Lallana came back in the second half and I was genuinely worried when Milner came off and Moreno took over.

It's bizarre to have a weekend of football that culminates in Liverpool v Man Utd without a single post in this thread.. especially from @Fierce_LiNk :hehe:

I feel like the scheduling of a Monday night following an international break may have affected things but, regardless, I was disappointed. I'm glad we didn't lose, particularly due to the Ibrahimovic chance, but would have of course loved a victory.

I'm getting depressed about PL football, so I'm concentrating on the Champion's League... very much like Leicester really!!!

I saw a few United fans on facebook bemoan our performance yesterday and question why we didn't go 4-4-2 away from home against Liverpool.

Liverpool's results this season:

Liverpool 5 - 1 Hull

Chelsea 1 - 2 Liverpool

Liverpool 4 - 1 Leicester

Arsenal 3 - 4 Liverpool

Yup, I can't think of a reason why we didn't go all out and expansive against them! Up until at that, they'd only dropped four points all season...with two of those "dropped" points being "only" a draw away at Spurs.

We had no Martial yesterday, as he's injured. No Mkhitaryan, as he's injured, too. That basically sapped so much of the pace from the side and we couldn't counter successfully, therefore limiting our chances. If Martial had found the ball in the same pockets that Rashford had in the first half, then we'd have created more.

Yesterday was absolutely necessary. Had we gone out there and tried to play a more adventurous style, we'd have been torn apart like wet paper. We played well against Stoke last game and only managed to draw that 1-1. Had we suffered a hammering yesterday (which many United fans thought would be possible giving Liverpool's form), then that would have impacted the next few games...which just so happen to be huge games, too. We have Chelsea away next.

I'd rather us go out and try to win every game. But, I can completely accept why we didn't yesterday. We clearly went out there with a plan to stop Liverpool completely dominating the match and walking away with a heavy scoreline. To that extent, we succeeded. Defensively, we looked really tight yesterday. That's part of the foundation of what makes a great team. If we had planned to go out there yesterday trying to outscore Liverpool, I dread to think what the scoreline would have. Based on our current form and their current form, it would have been asking for a hiding.

Leicester City:

Champions League points = 9

Premier League points = 8

:hmm:

Top of the league!!

Was underwhlemed by the signing of Gayle but lordy is he proving me wrong. He's on fire right now.

Mesut Özil.

I only saw highlights and snippets from the game, but he looked fantastic. Awesome player.

I was actually able to watch City vs. Barcelona yesterday and it was one almighty frustrating experience. City didn't look too bad at times. They worked the ball into good areas, but they chose the wrong option every single time. The mistakes that they made were of their own doing. Every single goal came as a result of a stupid mistakes, and you could even include the sending off and penalty incident in that.

I admire Guardiola, but his tactics/philosophy lost City the game yesterday. The keeper, who I'm not even sure is worth raving about anyway, made a stupid error for the sending off. That ball should have been clearing the stands and well out of danger. That didn't happen. He tried to play the ball on the deck and, instead, looked like a complete twat in the process. Sterling had the ball in some awesome areas, yet the final cross was either shit or it didn't result in a shot being taken. My biggest problem with Guardiola is that there's so much focus on foreplay leading up to the goal rather than shots being taken. There were a dozen instances yesterday where City could have taken a shot. Instead, they passed it sideways and ended up losing the ball anyway.

Football is about scoring goals. Imo, nobody gives a shit about a pass somebody made in the 54th minute unless it either leads to a goal or a chance. It's pointless. City could have actually got something out of the game yesterday had they taken more shots and had they cut out on stupid errors. I'm not saying Barcelona are a bad side at all, but City made them look a billion times better yesterday. At 1-0, they threw the game away.

Utterly dreadful from United. Chelsea completely outdid us in every area of the game and fully deserved to win by such a massive scoreline. We were spineless, gutless and we lacked a plan. I honestly don't know what United were trying to do today. The pattern of play seemed to go "knock the ball out wide to Valencia, cross it in, Ibra fouls his man" every single time. It wouldn't be so bad if Valencia was a player like Hazard who could actually play with both feet...

Pogba is making things very difficult for himself. When you're playing in a United shirt, the least you can do is try. He barely accelerated beyond walking pace today and all he did was pass the ball 3 or 4 metres to his left and right, if that. Didn't win any tackles, didn't really create chances, didn't have any shots, didn't do any defensive work, didn't help out either Herrera or Ibra. With more performances like that, the fans will turn against him before Christmas.

At this moment in time, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal AND City are all miles better than us. We won't be finishing anywhere near the top four if we continue to play like this.

We seem to be playing a lot better since Conte scrapped playing the formation we'd played the last couple seasons and adopted one of the formations he prefers to employ. It seems to suit our players better too who have gone from playing awfully to now seeming fairly competent and some playing well again!

On the up for us I hope!

Mesut Özil.

I was at the game. My first time at the Emirates. I was sitting right at the top of the Clock End. Fantastic experience and couldn't have asked for a better first game. Ozil was sublime and Arsenal easily could've scored even more goals with the chances they had.

I was at the game. My first time at the Emirates. I was sitting right at the top of the Clock End. Fantastic experience and couldn't have asked for a better first game. Ozil was sublime and Arsenal easily could've scored even more goals with the chances they had.

My season ticket seat is in the clock end upper. Block 126 right at the back, it's hell of a view from up there. Glad you enjoyed it.

The passing in this Manchester Derby is some of the worst I've ever seen. From both sides. Considering the stature of the teams and the quality of the players, it's abysmal.

Much better in the second half. Quicker football, more forward-thinking and attempting to cause their defenders lots of trouble. Herrera was our best player by far, but I thought Rojo and Mata also looked good. Overall, a deserved narrow victory.

Wow, that was one of the most inept refereeing displays I've ever seen (well since Moss vs WestHam last year!).

And my word is Alli the dirtiest, cheating player in the league!?

We're now starting to look a very well drilled side. I can't believe David Luiz is all of a sudden looking to be a very accomplished defender and Hazard and Costa are coming back to their best!

This 3-4-3 really suites the players we have and the more we continue as we are the better. We'll gain confidence and the formation and tactics will become more ingrained, hopefully become second nature.

With the lack of European football its more likely to happen soon too. I don't think top four is out of the question for us and I'd not quite count out the title.

When you see Mesut's goal tonight. Try not to jizz.

[tweet]793579517940039681[/tweet]