Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PS4 Pro

Happenstance

Media outlets are starting to receive PS4 Pro consoles so we should hopefully start seeing some hands on impressions this week.

Good good.

Cerny has given some great interviews as of late! Appreciate him being honest about the tech side.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good good.

Cerny has given some great interviews as of late! Appreciate him being honest about the tech side.

Apparently the embargo doesn't end until the 9th, so it looks like first impressions could well come from consumers rather than the media.

I've cancelled my pre-order, will definitely pick one up by the end of the month though.

Apparently the embargo doesn't end until the 9th, so it looks like first impressions could well come from consumers rather than the media.

I've cancelled my pre-order, will definitely pick one up by the end of the month though.

Embargo ends tomorrow from what I've been told.

Some stuff already up on certain websites.

GT Sport will have HDR and VR. Pro gets 4K via 1800p checkerboard rendering.

GT Sport will support HDR with 10k nits of luminance. Despite no tv's at that spec yet (lol burn your eyeballs).

http://wccftech.com/gt-sport-to-support-4k60fps-with-checkerboard-rendering-on-ps4-pro-hdr-support-reportedly-impressive/

Amazon have sold through their stock for the PS4 Pro and won't be getting any more until after Christmas, I hope it's just an oversight with Amazon and that I don't regret cancelling my pre-order.

I made mine just a few days, just in time I suppose.

Any hands on to if this thing is any good at all and affects on psvr?

Embargo is staggered so there will probably be some impressions coming out on Monday. Digital Foundry did a discussion video yesterday though and did mention that it will make a big difference to the resolution - the whole image will be the same resolution rather than degrading as it reaches the edges.

There are issues with how people are capturing the Pro and normal PS4 media.

On neogaf they are using Titanfall 2 examples for super sampling at 1080p. They seem to be getting excited except the whole topic is misleading.

Titanfall 2 has no 1080p mode apparently. People are resizing 1440p screens to 1080p themselves.

The normal PS4 screen is represented by a youtube eurogamer screen grab... also supersampling is something a developer has to implement. It wont be free obviously. Most likely the game will just be down scaled to 1080p.

I expect lots of disappointed people come launch from that topic.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_3723425.html

n this article, with the help of actual slides used during the presentation, we will introduce the techniques used to achieve this new era of visual enhancements for the next PlayStation®4-exclusive title ‘Gran Turismo Sport’, to be released in 2017.

4K, 60fps

・Resolution: 1800p checkerboard

・Framerate: 60fps

HDR

・Data capture using a bespoke camera developed by PDI.

・Brightness range 100 times higher than the current camera standard.

・Gran Turismo will support current HDR TV’s as well as future HDR devices reaching brightnesses up to 10000nits. (HDR10・ST.2084)

・GT Tonemap enabling complete compatibility between Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) and HDR TVs.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

On neogaf they are using Titanfall 2 examples for super sampling at 1080p. They seem to be getting excited except the whole topic is misleading.

Titanfall 2 has no 1080p mode apparently. People are resizing 1440p screens to 1080p themselves.

The normal PS4 screen is represented by a youtube eurogamer screen grab... also supersampling is something a developer has to implement. It wont be free obviously. Most likely the game will just be down scaled to 1080p.

That's what Supersampling is though. Render at a higher resolution, downsample to the monitor resolution. Brute force AA really.

Definitely not free, but developer work is basically as far as getting the game running at a higher native resolution.

Any hands on to if this thing is any good at all and affects on psvr?

If I recall correctly I believe the producers of Farpoint said they could have double the amount of pixels with the pro as well as other enhancements. At least half the launch games appear to have pro patches.

If the enhancements are good enough I'll pick up a pro in January. Don't have a 4K TV (yet) but now I know I don't want a Switch and love VR, I know where to invest!

Doubt it will sell out. Tesco and Amazon had the lowest prices thats why.

That's what Supersampling is though. Render at a higher resolution, downsample to the monitor resolution. Brute force AA really.

Definitely not free, but developer work is basically as far as getting the game running at a higher native resolution.

Yeah its simple i guess. You have to use a resampling filter/algorythm to improve the picture though. Scaling is just a basic end resolution change.

On pc i have to resample to get a better image(render higher then use something like a bicubic down sample etc.). Versus just scaling down a final resoltuion.

Can not wait.

Its a shame there is no gaming website like Tom's Hardware, Anandtech or Guru3d. Some silly assertions by various journalists and equipment seems to be lacking. Then again its a tough environment for them. Lets see if Anandtech get one.

The upgrades for VR are massive. Will be very attractive for VR users.

edit: Youtube! has updated their app on PS4 for HDR.

Edited by Choze

The fact it's a decent upgrade for VR makes it even more infuriating a device. No 4k blurry player, not that big an upgrade on PS4 games; it's borderline pointless.... but then VR pops up and says - It improves me massively!!!! If it was a better machine I'd buy it ini an instant. Now I don't want to buy it.... but I probably will anyway....

Mine will be arriving on Thursday and I will be playing Titanfall on it. I look forward to the new controller that can connect via wire. Also, the improved video and screenshot captures.

And finally, when I get VR I'll be good to go.

I am excite. You do get down sampling on 1080p as others mentioned. I was wrong on that one. It is supposedly like 720p on PS4 in that regards. Which is great news for 1080p owners.

Feature list for 1080p tv owners not rushing into 4K just yet/waiting for affordable 8K:

- Downsampled 1080p.

- Minimum 1080p requirement is enforced(no more BF1 below 1080p etc.)

- VR graphics are greatly improved. Resolution enhanced as well as effects etc.

- Built in AC wireless (PS4 Slim also has this!) support for significantly faster Wifi than other consoles.

- Extra Type C USB port for future USB products. Forward thinking.

- Quieter fan as well as lower energy consumption for existing PS4 games. (PS4 slim wins this one)

- Faster Sata 3 port for faster HDD and SSD.

- Improved Share, Streaming Share Play and Remote play at 1080p 60 fps. Screens at 4K.

- 1 GB DDR3 RAM added to offload System OS and give games more of that 8GB GDDR5.

- The new slightly enchanced Ds4. Also with the new Slim. Has wired mode.

I may have missed some small stuff.

At the risk of coming back to this post in a couple years and seeing it as dumb...is 8k really that desirable? 4k is only really a big deal on already big TVs.

I think the next big jump will be to 32bits HDR. Instead of the current 10bit.

At the risk of coming back to this post in a couple years and seeing it as dumb...is 8k really that desirable? 4k is only really a big deal on already big TVs.

I think the next big jump will be to 32bits HDR. Instead of the current 10bit.

It's gonna be like Megapixels were. They'll keep on increasing until people can't see the difference, and then they'll stop and focus on something else.

It's gonna be like Megapixels were. They'll keep on increasing until people can't see the difference, and then they'll stop and focus on something else.

This. 8K is the other Ultra HD standard. Its early days for Ultra HD yet.

Also I am not sure about future HDR. The 10,000 nits feature of Gran Turismo should come with a health warning...

Launch trailer :santa:

Edited by Choze

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!