Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Off-TV Play

How often do you use it?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use it?

• Use it exclusively
    • Use it if TV is unavailable
    • Use it sometimes if TV is unavailable (other times don't bother playing)
    • Every now and then
    • Tried it a few times
    • Never

This discussion is kind of rumbling a bit in the NX one so I thought I'd take it out and see how much people use Off-TV play where possible (i.e. where games support it).

Curious to see what the spread of this small sample is.

Yes, I use it extensively when the wife is watching TV or if TV is backgroundable - such as a sports game where I am only vaguely interested in the outcome.

I am torn for the NX though. I want the off screen play to return but I am wary about the cost it might add to the console (or more accurately the subsequent lack of power).

I simply use it if the TV isn't available. It's really convinient because you don't even have to stop playing or switch over to another device. You just switch the TV over and carry on (or press a button if the game requires you to).

Same in reverse. Want to switch back to TV? Just turn it on and press the button as necessary. No swapping save files, no moving your console around. Easy :)

Also handy if you want the TV on in the background while playing.

I use it all the time. I pretty much use the feature exclusively. I don't have to fight for the TV but I love just kicking back, playing a game and having something playing in the background on the television.

Its a cracking feature and one that I would love to see return on the NX. They just need to make the pad that uses it slimmer and less chunky.

How about use it at the same time as TV or instead of tv out of choice? :)

"Use it exclusively"?

"Use it exclusively"?

Mainly I use the TV, but sometimes I prefer just using the gamepad too... Maybe there should be just a use it a lot rather than the specific situations... but I'm overthinking it. It's fine as is!

I use off screen play quite a bit, I use it sometimes when the bird is watching TV, sometimes I use it and have something I'm half interested on in the background and sometimes I use it as I'm just relaxing and can't be arsed to set myself up in front of the TV. Other times I don't use off screen as I think games look better on the big screen and because some games like Zelda and Xenoblade are genuinely better with the pad being used to add to the experience!

I think I'd use it more if the range wasn't so terrible in anything other than a shanty house.

I've actually been doing ranked matches on Pokkén Off-TV. I did a lot of Hyrule Warriors with it too

I think I'd use it more if the range wasn't so terrible in anything other than a shanty house.

Hmm I'll see if I can add that option to the poll...

Personally, Off TV play is the worst thing about the Wii U, as it puts developers off actually using the GamePad's features for gameplay.

I tend to play using Off-TV mode most of the time. I like to do other things while gaming, so i'll be watching a TV show or a film on my laptop while I play a racing game on the gamepad. I also don't have a TV in my bedroom, so it's nice to be able to play Zelda in bed. It's a feature that I really enjoy, although I guess i'm part of the problem when it comes to developers not utilising the Wii U's features.

Games feel more intimate when I play them on the gamepad, I think that means I'm more of a handheld gamer than anything else.

I am actually quite surprised at how many people here seem to use it exclusively. It's higher than I would've expected!

Of course I'd rather see more games like Splatoon and Starfox Zero, but if a Wii U game isn't going to use the two screens at the same time for something absolutely fundamental (like Mario Party 10 or Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water does), then there's absolutely no reason to not support Off TV play.

If that NX controller leak is real, I'm glad to see that Nintendo are sticking with the two screen concept :)

Edited by Dcubed

I am actually quite surprised at how many people here seem to use it exclusively. It's higher than I would've expected!

I'm surprised it is (currently) split half and half between the top three and bottom three options. Seems it is a divisive feature!

I chose the "never" option and I'll explain why.

When I was "into" the WiiU and played it a moderate amount, I remember trying the off-screen feature for the first time. I tried it with Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I looked at the gamepad screen, back to my telly, back to the screen, back to the telly again and wondered why I was playing it on this tiny screen rather than the bigger, better one in front of me. It was the same when I tried Arkham City. In fact, it was more of a pain to play on a smaller screen as you can't really see these beautiful worlds that have been created.

Maybe it would be useful when somebody else wants to watch the tv? Well, not really. The problem with this today is that the world has changed. It's not just about live television these days. It's all about Netflix, Amazon Prime, LoveFilm, streaming services that let you access your content whenever you want and wherever you want. I find myself watching less and less live tv these days, mostly because it's shit. So, this scenario doesn't work for me.

Basically, I see the whole off-screen thing as a half-baked answer to a question that nobody was really asking in the first place. A lot of households have multiple tvs these days and in an age where you can watch things anytime you want through tablets or laptops (or even phones), this doesn't really solve anything.

But, there's the portability, right? This turned out to be really disappointing for me. We live in a ground floor flat and we can only keep the signal from Gamepad to the WiiU if we're in the same room. So, I can't play it in the bedroom and I can't play it in the garden. So, that's out.

I have to also admit that I'm not filled with confidence with all of these NX rumours and images of another controller with a screen.

I use it sometimes when the bird is watching TV

100_0261.jpg

Every now and then... Like I've said its a convenient feature, but for me it derailed the grand experience that I like from a home console: Surround sound amped, large screen etc - but the Gamepad was so convenient, I was under-utilising my entertainment tech! Plus the Gamepads resolution is of a noticeable low quality.

Sadly, I don't believe this feature was worth the controller trade off.

I chose the "never" option and I'll explain why.

When I was "into" the WiiU and played it a moderate amount, I remember trying the off-screen feature for the first time. I tried it with Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I looked at the gamepad screen, back to my telly, back to the screen, back to the telly again and wondered why I was playing it on this tiny screen rather than the bigger, better one in front of me. It was the same when I tried Arkham City. In fact, it was more of a pain to play on a smaller screen as you can't really see these beautiful worlds that have been created.

Maybe it would be useful when somebody else wants to watch the tv? Well, not really. The problem with this today is that the world has changed. It's not just about live television these days. It's all about Netflix, Amazon Prime, LoveFilm, streaming services that let you access your content whenever you want and wherever you want. I find myself watching less and less live tv these days, mostly because it's shit. So, this scenario doesn't work for me.

Basically, I see the whole off-screen thing as a half-baked answer to a question that nobody was really asking in the first place. A lot of households have multiple tvs these days and in an age where you can watch things anytime you want through tablets or laptops (or even phones), this doesn't really solve anything.

But, there's the portability, right? This turned out to be really disappointing for me. We live in a ground floor flat and we can only keep the signal from Gamepad to the WiiU if we're in the same room. So, I can't play it in the bedroom and I can't play it in the garden. So, that's out.

I have to also admit that I'm not filled with confidence with all of these NX rumours and images of another controller with a screen.

I will be amazed if we get another console with a 2nd screen. Just seems mad to me after what happened with the Wii U.

As soon as I saw the contrast in picture quality between my TV and the gamepad for Wind Waker I never touched it for off-TV play again. Gaming deserves better than that.

Depends on the game and genre. Epic adventure games should be experienced on the big screen but eShop titles and intense platforming are better on the GamePad, I find.

But I use off tv quite a lot, it's so good to be able to game even while the tv is being used by others, or going.into.another room if my girlfriend has friends over. Furthermore, it feels easier to just pick.up and.play a game for a few minutes.

I love using the off-TV option. I use it when there's something on TV or while in bed (our room being just above the TV helps with the range issue). It's a shame there's such a difference in quality between the TV and GamePad, but I've been able to play for many more hours because of this excellent option.

When I'm having a really down day and feel a 'bed day' is needed then off TV play is a god send. Other than that, I don't use it. So it's a saviour in my times of need but also just a reminder of being depressed any other time. Very apt for the Wii U, I'd say.

I think it'd be a real shame to lose the gamepad, or at least the 2nd screen. Although I don't have a working TV and play games through a monitor, I still often use the gamepad in bed etc, or if my girlfriend is surfing the net. I think it's added more to Nintendo games than the Wiimote did, and coupled with the DS I think losing the touchscreen would be a step backwards, even if not all games use it.

Sign in to follow this