NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Paris Under Attack

- France has closed its borders

- At least 40 dead in multiple shootings across Paris

- Dozens more are injured, numbers are set to rise

- Several people killed in suicide bomb blasts at the Stade de France

- 100 hostages said to be taken at the Bataclan Arts Centre.

Fuck. Just got home after a very long, difficult and emotional day and seen this and it has completely shocked me :( My thoughts go out to all those affected and their families and friends, let us hope that no more lose their lives.

Absolutely awful, how can people be so cruel? :(

The hostage siege is said to be over, but no details have been reported just yet aside from that.

Utterly shocking. A friend sent me a link about an hour ago. And another a minute ago with the updates of them closing the borders and shutting down public transit.

Do we have any active French members?

Shocking news. I can't believe this happens again and again. I can't believe people are doing these evil things against innocents. Some fucked up people they are.

Horrible, horrible news. About 100 people have died in the Bataclan Concert Hall as a result of the attack tonight. Reports of grenades and explosives being thrown/used as the police stormed the Hall.

BBC reporting a rumour that the Calais refugee camp has been set on fire in a possible revenge attack. This is getting worse and worse :(

Awful news. :(

I feel bad for anyone caught up in it.

Just goes to show you how real the terror threat truly is, mankind truly is a low form of life. How easily we can pull a trigger and end a life and ruin families with no remorse. It's a scary world out there, my condolences to the families of the dead.

Truely, utterly horrific night. I've been glued to my phone all evening. The worst part is that I can't see how this can get any better. How do you defend against random, small scale attacks like this? Are these type of attacks going to keep repeating?

Scary when you think about Andrew Parker's recent comments about this being the highest threat to British security that he's seen too. Terrible night. Thoughts to all of the families. Just horrible.

mankind truly is a low form of life

You know, I'm not sure that's quite true here. This is a tragedy only because we value the people that were lost in the first place. There may be evil humans, but that doesn't mean it's true for all humanity.

Like Dan says, it's worrying that there doesn't seem to be a way to defend against these attacks. France are due to host the European Football Championships next summer, surely terrorist groups will see that as a viable target too. There will be a lot of work to do to ensure that the French citizens and international tourists feel safe. There seems to have been a knee jerk reaction against Muslim people in general as well, which is worrying.

Heard it mentioned on LBC around 9 last night but didn't think too much of it, popped out this monring with LBC still on in the car and heard the full extent of things. Just in the hour I was out the death toll was raised from 120 to 128 apparently, and it seem from 55 critically ill/injured it's now at 99.

All of whom will presumably be fairly innocent people. Which is what upsets/angers me the most. Then however, I think of what our armies and forces do and have done abroad, and innocents lost there, and I'm equally angry and I just see it all as a stupid, pointless, endless cycle of violence and tbh it just puts me into despair. It's breaking my heart listening to it all at the moment, but I'm wondering if it's equally fair or right of me to just bury my head in the sand and just get on with my own shit instead of paying attention, or whether to get myself educated on what's going on and...well, yeah. I dunno.

Have to wonder if it was targetted around now given Remembrance day/week? Is the news this week of Jihadi John also in any way possibly related? and I also have to consider a slight conspiracy-esque feeling video of some woman on some news thing I saw with the whole mass refugee thing a few months back - she suggested ISIS had said they'd come undercover as refugees and attack from within once settled. The sad thing is that people are reporting that police have/are apparently opening fire on the refugee camps in calais now.

Then however, I think of what our armies and forces do and have done abroad, and innocents lost there, and I'm equally angry and I just see it all as a stupid, pointless, endless cycle of violence and tbh it just puts me into despair. It's breaking my heart listening to it all at the moment, but I'm wondering if it's equally fair or right of me to just bury my head in the sand and just get on with my own shit instead of paying attention, or whether to get myself educated on what's going on and...well, yeah. I dunno.

I do agree with you about the atrocities committed by the west, that we accept as a society. I was against Iraq and even Afghanistan, however I am in support of a war with Islamic State. This isn't a war against a regime that we disagree with, or a war against an organisation within another country, this is a war against an organisation that has swept through other nations, slaughtering civilians and destroying cities. In the same way that we supported our allies from the Nazi invasion ~80 years ago, I feel we should do the same now.

ISIS have claimed responsibility for the attacks. The attacks were planned and carried out by 8 gunmen/bombers and is said to be the worst attack in Europe since the Madrid bombings.

There's going to be major concerns now for next year due to France hosting the European Championships next year. Security is going to be absolutely water-tight for that.

It's an abhorrent atrocity. Not much else to say really :(

My prayers go out to the friends and family of everyone sadly caught up in this horrific display.

Front page of imgur is lit up with posts of other countries sending their thoughts out to France. A lot of monuments/buildings lighted like their flag. It's rather moving.

Also, even Piers Morgan had a half intelligent thing to say.

ISIS have claimed responsibility for the attacks. The attacks were planned and carried out by 8 gunmen/bombers and is said to be the worst attack in Europe since the Madrid bombings.

There's going to be major concerns now for next year due to France hosting the European Championships next year. Security is going to be absolutely water-tight for that.

I was trying to say to the wife I think that may actually have somewhat motivated the timing. I remember reading somewhere that there is an active hatred for sport as it shows off our Western life style that we have all this money to pour into sports events. So I wonder if the fact they were playing the world champions in Paris had some bearing? Similar to how London was attacked right after the successful Olympics bid.

I was trying to say to the wife I think that may actually have somewhat motivated the timing. I remember reading somewhere that there is an active hatred for sport as it shows off our Western life style that we have all this money to pour into sports events. So I wonder if the fact they were playing the world champions in Paris had some bearing? Similar to how London was attacked right after the successful Olympics bid.

It could be, but apparently there's something going around linking this to recent airstrikes (in Syria, I think), so that may the link. What you're saying also fits, though. It's an attack on the Western Lifestyle, which explains why a restaurant, music and sporting venue were all targeted.

It's really sad to see how France is on lockdown right now. The Eiffel Tower is closed. There's queues of people outside hospitals who are waiting to give blood, tons of people offering to give others shelter and taxi drivers were giving people free lifts yesterday to get them across the city. It's amazing to see how people have pulled together, which defines the human spirit.

Sounds like it could have been worse. Three explosions outside the stadium, four dead of whom three are terrorists if the information is correct. Maybe they tried to get inside and failed.

Actually surprised if it's IS that is behind this. First they might have pissed off Mother Russia, then they attack Europe under the height of the migrant crisis. Doesn't sound like a smart move in my opinion.

It's really sad to see how France is on lockdown right now. The Eiffel Tower is closed. There's queues of people outside hospitals who are waiting to give blood, tons of people offering to give others shelter and taxi drivers were giving people free lifts yesterday to get them across the city. It's amazing to see how people have pulled together, which defines the human spirit.

And that's what should be used to flood the media in reaction to show the strength of people coming together, but I'll bet you it'll hardly be focused on and the sensationalism of the death and murder and suspects and reasoning etcetc all will be instead. I personally think things like this are so much bigger than we realise, and it's mostly fucked up in a lot of the way the information is put out there and discussed. One thing the internet makes me glad for is the free-er flow of information to the people, but there's still long ways to go.

It's utterly devastating to hear of the atrocities my thoughts go out to the family is of the victims and the nation as a whole.

There is one thing that is playing on my mind though, I don't want innocent people persecuted over this, the easy target is the Syrian immigrants, but with that said we need to discuss the entire situation without people shutting it down over 'racism' or dismissing views off hand as right wing, which certainly seems to happen, you are evither liberal or right wing these days with neither side willing to discuss the middle ground.

I don't think staunchly anti war people can blankety dismiss action against IS, they won't go away and hoping they do if we do nothing will not work, they are fundamentally against the existence of the West if we act or not - the French have acted the least and look at this

Likewise right wing views of shock and awe campaigns of slaughter will not work either and only breed more extremists for another generation

Questions need to be asked about boarder control, we can keep open boarders, but checking who is crossing and confirming it is not a bad thing and against the schingen agreement - the debate and inaction has allowed non refugees from Syria, be them economic migrants or otherwise take advantage of the situation and join the masses and cross open boarders, a lack of any control poses risks.

As with Moogle I was against the Iraq war, the Afghan war was an odd one, I think some action was needed, just not that. But IS are different they are the closest thing to the Nazi's in the early 30d that we've seen since then, and ignoring the atrocities to their own people and our own is hurting us, this is an evil I truly think a war with would be just. I just think we need to get the Middle East to join with us and make sure that is not a west vs east war that breeds extremists for the future, the world collectively needs to target IS

Join with Russia, joined with Jordan, Arabia, Turkey and Iraq fight a war of allied forces against evil and inspire the beliefs in freedom that our for fathers did and forgo our petty international squabbles