NEurope
Hogge

Twilight Princess HD (4th March)

Speaking of the amiibo, this one has to be the most detailed one so far.

I managed to get a goo 20 hours or so into this over the weekend. I've just finished off the Arbiter Grounds before going to bed last night.

I'm enjoying it a lot more now. Once the game starts to open up a little more ( fixing the bridges, turning into a wolf whenever I choose to ) it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. Epona is still a pain in the butt to control, though. :D

I've been gathering the Poes from around various places in Hyrule and this has been a bit of a pain, as well. Having to wait until nightfall for them to appear is a terrible waste of time and I feel like i'm having to frantically search around areas while the sun is down, otherwise i'm going to have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for nightfall again.

It's crazy just how much is taken from OOT. In the Arbiter Grounds it's especially apparent when you have to go find the 4 Poes. At least it wasn't in the Forest Temple this time. :heh:

The first 3 dungeons seem to take a while to get to. Whether this is because there are a bunch of other things that can be done or if it's because your very limited to how and where you can travel to. It felt like an age going from one dungeon and then to the next. The step from the previous dungeon to the Arbiter Grounds felt much snappier.

I'm very impressed with how clear the game looks. While the art direction leaves a lot to be desired ( obviously there's nothing Tantalus can do with that ), the work that has gone in to cleaning up the game and making the edges sharp and clean is much appreciated.

...Think it's the most forgettable Zelda game, I can hardly remember playing these dungeons before.

Huh?! This has some of the best dungeons in the series! They're awesome!!!

I'm glad to see you're mostly enjoying the game again but, about this bit...

]I've been gathering the Poes from around various places in Hyrule and this has been a bit of a pain' date=' as well. Having to wait until nightfall for them to appear is a terrible waste of time[/b'] and I feel like i'm having to frantically search around areas while the sun is down, otherwise i'm going to have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for nightfall again.

I thought that you could get something called a Poe Lantern in this version of Twilight Princess which allows you to search for them during the day?

Though I have no idea where you get it from, I still haven't really properly started the game as I was playing Drill Dozer yesterday but it has definitely been documented that this item is in the game. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-04-everything-thats-changed-in-zelda-twilight-princess-hd

Someone else who has it in-game can confirm this perhaps?

I used to think that but i'm not so sure anymore. There have been a few cool moments and puzzles but nothing mind blowing. Saying that, i've yet to play through Snowpeak Ruins and the City in the Sky, which were probably the ones most people talk about being the best. I'll see how I feel after those two.

I forgot to mention earlier that I have been playing it pretty much exclusively on the GamePad and have had a few framerate issues. Weirdly, these seem to occur mostly when ever i'm fighting a Poe. It's not every time but it certainly has happened a fair few times.

I too used to find this one of the most forgettable zelda's, it was the story and barren wasteland that i think that made it so for me.

Going to get a chance to play this tonight - haven't been able to put down Digimon Cyber Sleuth had to complete all quests/catch em all, but i'm at the final boss now so time to put down the Vita for a short amount of time.

I'm glad to see you're mostly enjoying the game again but, about this bit...

I thought that you could get something called a Poe Lantern in this version of Twilight Princess which allows you to search for them during the day?

Though I have no idea where you get it from, I still haven't really properly started the game as I was playing Drill Dozer yesterday but it has definitely been documented that this item is in the game. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-04-everything-thats-changed-in-zelda-twilight-princess-hd

Someone else who has it in-game can confirm this perhaps?

Take 20 Poe Souls to Jovani and he'll give you the Poe Lantern

Yeah, i've nabbed it but I thought it just allowed you to see if a Poe was in the area? I've never used it yet, though.

I too used to find this one of the most forgettable zelda's, it was the story and barren wasteland that i think that made it so for me.

Going to get a chance to play this tonight - haven't been able to put down Digimon Cyber Sleuth had to complete all quests/catch em all, but i'm at the final boss now so time to put down the Vita for a short amount of time.

Cracking game. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

I was talking more about the beginning of the game, I don't really remember playing through these early dungeons, but I've got great memories of some of the later ones. It's like I've got to get through some Zelda-by-numbers areas before the game really gets into its own.

I really concur that I don't remember most of what I've done so far. I recall bits and pieces but not all of it.

More importantly though, Epona...why. Why Epona. I've driven semi trucks with a 30' trailer that handles better. Nothing about Riding Epona is enjoyable.

I got through another couple of dungeons last night.

Snowpeak Ruins was still a joy to play through. Running around an ice mansion was as fun as ever. I remembered certain parts of that dungeon but I couldn't remember the boss fight at all.

Next up was the Temple of Time. Apart from the dungeon item ( Dominion Rod ) I couldn't remember a thing about this place. Not that it mattered as the dungeon itself was fairly simple and the boss fight a complete pushover.

Speaking of the boss fights, the ones in this game offer zero challenge and are quite a joke if i'm honest. In past Zelda games certain bosses have offered a decent challenge but there is nothing to the ones in TP. At least the Arbiter Grounds fight was cool but the rest have been very forgettable and uninteresting.

I also managed to finish my first sidequest last night. Agitha now has a complete collection of bugs. :D

Started this last night, surprised at how nice it looks actually. The screenshots and trailers didn't impress me much at all but it looks nice on my TV.

Played for about an hour, just rescued Talo from his adventure with the monkey. It's so weird everything being flipped from last time I played it. It is good to be able to move the camera around though, and being able to swing your sword while running is one of the great things about TP :D

Snowpeak Ruins was still a joy to play through. Running around an ice mansion was as fun as ever. I remembered certain parts of that dungeon but I couldn't remember the boss fight at all.

Next up was the Temple of Time. Apart from the dungeon item ( Dominion Rod ) I couldn't remember a thing about this place. Not that it mattered as the dungeon itself was fairly simple and the boss fight a complete pushover.

Speaking of the boss fights, the ones in this game offer zero challenge and are quite a joke if i'm honest. In past Zelda games certain bosses have offered a decent challenge but there is nothing to the ones in TP. At least the Arbiter Grounds fight was cool but the rest have been very forgettable and uninteresting.

I also managed to finish my first sidequest last night. Agitha now has a complete collection of bugs. :D

The City in the Sky boss I remember being one of the most memorable bosses in the whole series. That just screamed EPIC, as well as the Arbiter's Grounds one.

The Temple of Time boss I really enjoyed, it was quite easy but was still a cool concept and visually looked really good I thought. Ditto the Snowpeak one, beautiful fight and cleverly executed. I'm surprised to hear you think they're not memorable.

In terms of scale the bosses are often fantastic but it's a shame they don't really threaten Link at all. I've played through the game twice before and I'm fairly certain that the boss of the 3rd dungeon (the giant fish) doesn't actually have any attacks. He just swims in a circle :confused:

In terms of scale the bosses are often fantastic but it's a shame they don't really threaten Link at all. I've played through the game twice before and I'm fairly certain that the boss of the 3rd dungeon (the giant fish) doesn't actually have any attacks. He just swims in a circle :confused:

Yeah, his second phase is an absolute joke. You just swim after him, grapple to his head and then go all Shadow of the Colossus on him.

The second boss didn't even get a chance to attack when I fought him.

Hero Mode is super hard in this game, especially at the start during the wolf portions where you don't have access to any healing at all. At least Skyward Sword gave you easy access to a way of recovering hearts. I've got a game over quite a few times already.

Yeah, I usually raise an eyebrow whenever people say TP had great bosses: only Stallord and Blizzetta could be called that, IMO.

(In fact, TP is quite guilty of the "use dungeon item to defeat boss" syndrome. Say what you will about SS, but it actually bothered to avoid that problem)

Played a bit more. I still remember very little about the game, so lots feels new to me. I got to the section with this music

It's kind of a shame that they didn't disable the enemy music.

I'm enjoying it so far, although it has some problems (controlling Epona is horrible). I did like how the second dungeon was a location and not simply a dungeon - meeting the Gorons inside was pretty awesome.

Last night I finished the City in the Sky, defeated the Cave of Ordeals and then give Zant a beating. I just need to go and kick Ganons butt now, but that will have to wait until I get in from work.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

The second set of temples in the game seem a lot shorter than the first set. It took me a while to get through the earlier dungeons but the latter set I flew through.

The boss in the City in the Sky was another disappointment. While the actual setting of the battle is pretty cool, the fight itself is stupidly easy and pretty basic. In my mind I remember it being a lot more epic. ::shrug:

The Cave of Ordeals offered a nice challenge, although a lot of the harder enemies could be easily dispatched with the ball and chain. The first set of Darknuts were a bit tricky to fight against but once I got their timing down they fell pretty fast, especially the 3 at the end.

Yeah, so all that's left to do is to grab the remaining stamps I need and then go fight Ganon himself. Should be done by tonight.

Got to my favourite part of any Zelda game last night. Love it so much, hell I'm glad Link's Crossbow Training added it.

WVW69i-XMYk2axagrQ

Nothing beats the joy of shooting an arrow out of the sky and still killing the archer

And it's done.

A bland and boring end screen is quite fitting seeing as that could pretty much describe this game. While I didn't dislike the game, I didn't really enjoy it either. It was all pretty meh.

I feel the game leans far too heavily on OOT at times and the whole thing just lacks the charm of something like Wind Waker. I think it just feels very dated in some ways.

The game does have moments of greatness. Certain dungeons are very unique and fun to play through and some of the weapons you get are great. Sadly, as many already know, things like the spinner and ball and chain are very under used and you just get a small hint of what they could of been used for.

After finishing the game I went back to mop up the final sidequest, which was getting the rest of the stamps.

And with that, the game goes on the shelf.

Feel kind of silly avoiding reading some of you guys' posts incase of spoilers, even though I've played the game before!

It's felt a little too much like hard work up until now but I just finished the 3rd temple and everything is starting to click now, which has got me in the mood where I don't want to stop playing it but Pokemon Blue is taking my attention too.

A couple of sour notes though, I don't think this is a very good conversion. The frame rate drops, although tolerable, are happening far more frequently than I had expected and there seems to be an issue when centring the camera behind Link with 'ZL' where Link gets stuck walking in one direction for a split second. It's not something that has caused me any gameplay issues so far, but I can see it getting irritating during a strenuous boss battle.

Was Tantalus entirely responsible for the remaster, or did EAD have a hand in it? They seem like that kind of problems that Nintendo would usually iron out of one of their AAA titles, but weren't willing to devote the time or resources when it's just a remaster and not a completely fresh game (especially when they're hopefully working on a tonne of NX titles in addition to Zelda U) but I don't recall having any problems with Wind Waker.

Let me know if anyone else has voiced these issues, like I said I've avoided reading posts in this thread incase of spoilers.

I'm only a couple of hours in and like lot of people who played through this game before...I don't remember a single thing about it, so it almost feels like playing a brand new Zelda game.tANllxD.jpg

Let me know if anyone else has voiced these issues, like I said I've avoided reading posts in this thread incase of spoilers.

Yeah, I mentioned I was having frame rate issues, as well. I figured it was just because I was playing exclusively on the GamePad. Not that should be an excuse or anything.

During the final fight it was very noticeable, especially when I was trying to get around the back and do the black slash attack. At times it felt like I was side jumping through treacle. I was tempted to switch it back to the TV at this point, but couldn't be bothered. :heh:

Feel kind of silly avoiding reading some of you guys' posts incase of spoilers, even though I've played the game before!

It's felt a little too much like hard work up until now but I just finished the 3rd temple and everything is starting to click now, which has got me in the mood where I don't want to stop playing it but Pokemon Blue is taking my attention too.

A couple of sour notes though, I don't think this is a very good conversion. The frame rate drops, although tolerable, are happening far more frequently than I had expected and there seems to be an issue when centring the camera behind Link with 'ZL' where Link gets stuck walking in one direction for a split second. It's not something that has caused me any gameplay issues so far, but I can see it getting irritating during a strenuous boss battle.

Was Tantalus entirely responsible for the remaster, or did EAD have a hand in it? They seem like that kind of problems that Nintendo would usually iron out of one of their AAA titles, but weren't willing to devote the time or resources when it's just a remaster and not a completely fresh game (especially when they're hopefully working on a tonne of NX titles in addition to Zelda U) but I don't recall having any problems with Wind Waker.

So far I've only experience framerate drops in off-tv mode, and they were actually quite frequent. Playing on the big screen, I haven't experienced any problems. As for the second problem, I've noticed this as well, but I'm absolutely sure this was a present in the previous versions and is not something new to the HD upgrade when centring the camera behind Link.

As for anyone having issues controlling Epona, I find it best to zoom the camera out all the way using the right stick. Doesn't solve the issue completely bit certainly makes things a bit easier.