NEurope
Hogge

Twilight Princess HD (4th March)

It's very true, there's always such potential for a Zelda sequel game. Skyward Sword's could have told the story of reclaiming the land below from further darkness, And I think we all dreamt of a Wind Waker sequel where you sail off and discover what will become New Hyrule (on consoles, and not compromised on 3DS with horrendous visuals).

I know it's sacrilege, don't know what it is... Be interesting to see how Twilight Princess holds up, in my memory I loved it, Skyward Sword too!

I played it when it first came out, later on and 3DS version. It's never been a game I loved to play, but was blown away by a lot of what it was doing.

Wind Waker last?! Did you play the remake on the wii u? I guess how I feel about this is like how most people think when I say that about Ocarina... Crazy :)

Yeah, you guys. Just to put you all at rest because I can see some peeps are getting angsty.

Majora's Mask > OoT > Wind Waker > TP > SS

Now we can all go to bed feeling a little more comfortable.

Yeah, you guys. Just to put you all at rest because I can see some peeps are getting angsty.

Majora's Mask > OoT > Wind Waker > TP > SS

Now we can all go to bed feeling a little more comfortable.

Yeah I'd agree with this. Maybe switch OOT/MM around depending on my mood.

But the 3D Zeldas have gotten progressively worse since the N64 days. Didn't even bother finishing TP or SS. TP was so empty and SS was so repetitive.

OOT > TP > SS > WW > MM for me.

TP only just edges SS because of just how amazing it's dungeons were.

I don't like the insinuation that what I think of a game comes down to when I first experienced it.

I will always consider Pokemon Red and Blue to be amazing games worthy of every drop of praise they received, regardless of how many games came after; they were the games that blew you away because you'd never had it before. No sequel can ever achieve that feeling again - unless you're new to the series and play one of the later games first.

This is an interesting discussion, it could warrant its own thread. I see good arguments from both sides of the debate.

Generally, if a game blew you away 10 or 20 years ago, there was a good reason for that. Sure, sometimes it's just how good it looked (and how it doesn't anymore), but any game that kept your attention for hours on end had to have something to it that's still there. I find that games like Ocarina of Time and Pokémon Red still have the exact same qualities that endeared me to them the first time around... and also the exact same flaws.

Ocarina of Time, I feel, is a very well constructed game. Still fast-paced, still well designed, still fun all around, for reasons that later games forgot (you can get on top of roofs and latch onto trees with the hookshot, that shit makes you think you can go to any ledge you see. Later games lacked this very much), it might feel dated in some aspects, but what made it truly great to begin with (rather than just a large & pretty game for its time) is still there.

Pokémon Red&Blue is a mess, and always was. Sure, the basis for the gameplay is there, but it's really just that: the basis. No depth, nothing that would justify you playing it for long (aside from the social aspect, but that's another thing entirely). Pokémon Gold&Silver introduced depth, something that made their quality truly timeless, regardless of popular opinion (needless to say, I disagree with the Sheikah quote above: I played Red&Blue first, but the sequel had a higher impact on me, simply because the game was actually worth exploring this time around).

Overall, I'd say first impressions are overrated. If you love a game, it's probably not because of the first impression, but based on their actual qualities (that they still have). Whatever real flaws it had, if they didn't bother you the first time around, they won't bother you this time either (and if they do bother you, then they have always bothered you: you just don't remember)

Same reason kids today would probably get bored playing Asteroids in 5 mins.

That's because Asteroids has always sucked :heh: Give them Arkanoid or Tetris, see if they get bored.

(Or don't, I'm sure they already have an app for them)

It's true that they held your attention for hours back then but look at it from a newcomers perspective - most games that make any impact or offer something new to the world of gaming are copied and refined - even if just in sequels from the same developer. It's hard to see how an early monster hunter game can ever be viewed the same way by people who first played MH4U compared with legacy players, for instance.

If we go by readjusting how good we think games are as time passes then any old titles in series like Pokemon will progressively become 'worse', as new titles become more and more refined in just about every way. Graphics of old games will age, while gameplay mechanics of new games will become more sophisticated, set pieces more grande, and generally higher tech allows for much more sophisticated game setups. That's not to say new games supersede old games always, but certain aspects of games will usually always age over time.

I believe that original games in series that haven't gone on to change too radically often gave you more entertainment as it was a fresh new experience, and not only that; original titles are the ones that displayed these brilliant new idea and broke waves. Those ideas usually have less and less effect the more you encounter them. I think Nostalgia does play a part in forming these judgements (new players to a series won't suffer any franchise fatigue) - but in a good way. A lot of how we feel about games is a product of how things were at the time.

Even if an old game no longer stands up to more modern games/sequels in the same genre, I don't think it's right to take away our past praise. Let's not forget the most important thing - what they once made us feel. Not how we judge them as late twenty something all these years on. :)

Edited by Sheikah

It's quite sad that they're relieved that the realistic art style was well received when 10 years later everyone is saying how ugly Twilight Princess looks and how Wind Waker is one of the most beautiful games ever made. D'oh. At least they didn't carry on with the realistic route with SS and Zelda U.

Edited by Ronnie

Well it does looks ugly.

If they made a realistic Zelda with current gen graphics I imaged it would be well received. Personally I like both.

It would be as well received as Twilight Princess was back in the day, then in ten years we'll all be talking about how ugly it looks. As ugly as Witcher 1 looks today.

It would be as well received as Twilight Princess was back in the day, then in ten years we'll all be talking about how ugly it looks. As ugly as Witcher 1 looks today.

You have to keep in mind that Twilight Princess was a Gamecube game, built to be played on small screen CRT's.

It's quite sad that they're relieved that the realistic art style was well received when 10 years later everyone is saying how ugly Twilight Princess looks and how Wind Waker is one of the most beautiful games ever made. D'oh. At least they didn't carry on with the realistic route with SS and Zelda U.

Do you not remember the reaction to Wind Waker? It was horrendous, the bitching was on an unprecedented scale with people literally crying and wailing for a realistic Zelda game. Twilight Princess was the answer to the moans.

It's interesting though that as time has passed people view Wind Waker with so much love, when it was initially hated for its style and released early too, meaning several dungeons never made it in.

I love both games. But I would have to say that Twilight Princess's dungeons are possibly the best in the whole series.

Do you not remember the reaction to Wind Waker? It was horrendous, the bitching was on an unprecedented scale with people literally crying and wailing for a realistic Zelda game. Twilight Princess was the answer to the moans.

It's interesting though that as time has passed people view Wind Waker with so much love, when it was initially hated for its style and released early too, meaning several dungeons never made it in.

That's the irony Ronnie was talking about.

It's £32.99 at Argos without the Amiibo for anyone who hasn't taken the plunge yet.

Edited by killthenet

Great trailer that shows off basically everything the game has to offer, spoilers and all !!! It does remind me how excellent the game is though. Tomb Raider which I just completed (and loved) simply can't compare to a console Zelda game IMO.

An average trailer of a ten year old game which really doesn't tell me why I should buy this again.

It's very true, there's always such potential for a Zelda sequel game. Skyward Sword's could have told the story of reclaiming the land below from further darkness, And I think we all dreamt of a Wind Waker sequel where you sail off and discover what will become New Hyrule (on consoles, and not compromised on 3DS with horrendous visuals).

Inspired by this idea, discovering a would-be Hyrule - I was thinking of a Zelda game incorporating a Sim-City like side-game, where Link becomes something of a mayor and builds Hyrule Town and the sort of businesses/townfolk who flourish there.

(or maybe even a Harvest Moon type Lon Lon Ranch segment, where you take time off from the adventure and raise crops, breed horses with different abilities etc - maybe this also introducing changing seasons to Zelda)

Something like what Motherbase is in MGS5.

I would like a Zelda to have something more than a simple collect quest with unimpressive rewards.

An average trailer of a ten year old game which really doesn't tell me why I should buy this again.

Inspired by this idea, discovering a would-be Hyrule - I was thinking of a Zelda game incorporating a Sim-City like side-game, where Link becomes something of a mayor and builds Hyrule Town and the sort of businesses/townfolk who flourish there.

(or maybe even a Harvest Moon type Lon Lon Ranch segment, where you take time off from the adventure and raise crops, breed horses with different abilities etc - maybe this also introducing changing seasons to Zelda)

Something like what Motherbase is in MGS5.

I would like a Zelda to have something more than a simple collect quest with unimpressive rewards.

Did you ever play Little King's Story?

That game was awesome! Something similar would be a fantastic spin-off Zelda game; with Link building Hyrule, recruiting archers, knights, townsfolk etc... You could build a stable, breed horses and other working animals, cultivate the land... throw in Malon, Tingle, Fairy Fountains throughout the land, stunning music, lots of collectables and treasure to uncover.

Man I'd love this as a spiritual sequel to Little Kings Story.

It's true that they held your attention for hours back then but look at it from a newcomers perspective - most games that make any impact or offer something new to the world of gaming are copied and refined - even if just in sequels from the same developer. It's hard to see how an early monster hunter game can ever be viewed the same way by people who first played MH4U compared with legacy players, for instance.

If we go by readjusting how good we think games are as time passes then any old titles in series like Pokemon will progressively become 'worse', as new titles become more and more refined in just about every way. Graphics of old games will age, while gameplay mechanics of new games will become more sophisticated, set pieces more grande, and generally higher tech allows for much more sophisticated game setups. That's not to say new games supersede old games always, but certain aspects of games will usually always age over time.

I believe that original games in series that haven't gone on to change too radically often gave you more entertainment as it was a fresh new experience, and not only that; original titles are the ones that displayed these brilliant new idea and broke waves. Those ideas usually have less and less effect the more you encounter them. I think Nostalgia does play a part in forming these judgements (new players to a series won't suffer any franchise fatigue) - but in a good way. A lot of how we feel about games is a product of how things were at the time.

Even if an old game no longer stands up to more modern games/sequels in the same genre, I don't think it's right to take away our past praise. Let's not forget the most important thing - what they once made us feel. Not how we judge them as late twenty something all these years on. :)

I urge you to make a thread on this topic!!! (in particular game sequels, but keeping it open as sequels would do just as well I'm sure)

Did you ever play Little King's Story?

That game was awesome! Something similar would be a fantastic spin-off Zelda game; with Link building Hyrule, recruiting archers, knights, townsfolk etc... You could build a stable, breed horses and other working animals, cultivate the land... throw in Malon, Tingle, Fairy Fountains throughout the land, stunning music, lots of collectables and treasure to uncover.

Man I'd love this as a spiritual sequel to Little Kings Story.

Yeah i did, found it amazing at the beginning but found to get a little too formulaic/less organic as it went on. But it definitely was a pleasant game.

That would be an amazing game and you can tell Nintendo really want a good Zelda spin-off. I think I'm gagging for a bit of micro-management and strategy.

Over the last 4 months, I've been placing a pre-order and then cancelling, repeating many times. I finally decided to.....not buy this game. I've got too many others to play on Wii U and 3DS to justify another purchase, no matter how good the game.