NEurope
Charlie

End of Year Goals + Resolution Updates

As is tradition, we have our annual New Years Resolution thread in January.

How is everyone getting on with their resolutions this year? Have you kept them or ditched them?

I think that it's good to be proactive about things all year round so I present the 'End of Year Goals' thread. What do you want to achieve between now and the end of the year?

The same as the last few years: get a girlfriend. I actually think that I may be able to pull it off this year. I'm quite confident that I'll have a date in less than two weeks.

Ah, I was foolishly confident when I wrote that. She said that she wasn't interested in me. And I'm still not quite over her. And now I'm also fixated on someone else who I have zero chance with and she lives around 4 hours away.

Despite this, I have been on two dates (one went well, but it was before I moved, the second was awful) and I've massively changed parts of my life since then. I've made quite a few new friends, too, so the "girlfriend" thing I've kind of put less effort into the past month or so.

Hmm let's see...

While I don't like the idea of New Years Resolutions I suppose there's a few things I'll be working towards this year...

Do things for myself : This probably sounds basic or really simple but what I mean is just getting things done in life because I want to, not being pressured by what anyone else thinks as much.

Pass Driving Test : I've been on and off with this for a pathetically long time, this year I actually want to get out there and pass it so I can get a car - eventually - which may or may not make life easier but it'll be freedom at least.

Be more helpful : I already am mostly or at least I try to be but I'm aware that I could always do a little more, this goes for home life, on the site and at work to an extent.

Watch more films/Play more games : Or more specifically watch those films/games which I know I really should have and that I've wanted to see/play but just never got around to for whatever reason, I started as I mean to go on by watching Citizen Kane last night.

I suppose I've been doing things for myself more which has helped in some small way.

Driving... not so much, the more I see of people driving like idiots on the road and the thought of the astronomic costs, - the negative effect on the environment to an extent as well - the less I want to drive any more and I'm honestly fine with that for now. :)

I definitely feel as if I've been more helpful, at home it's all those small things which are now just part of my routine, on the site I have tried to be more active - still catching up with my reviews though - and will continue with this, I've definitely been more helpful at work plus I've also been helping my brother recently in his pursuit of making a short film which is an on-going project I'm enjoying being a part of. : peace:

As for games and films... I have at least finished a few games, of course not as many as I'd have liked but it's a difficult balancing act, I've definitely watched a few decent films this year though again largely thanks to my younger brother who is very much as into films as I'm into games; I'm definitely aiming to finish at least a handful of games before the year is out in addition to a good few films plus a load of comedy box-sets of that Mitchell and Webb look plus the Mighty Boosh that I'm watching regularly.

So I feel fine with how this year has gone so far, as for additional goals if I can get a second part-time job and have a decent clear-out of games which I no longer want - not all my games obviously but I have a ridiculous amount of PS2 games, seriously... PM me if there's a PS2 title you're after - then I'll be pretty happy. :D

With regard to perhaps setting a target for getting into a relationship, I don't see the point in setting a goal for that, if anything happens then great but if not then that's fine also, I've got more than enough to keep me occupied well into 2016 in any case just with trying to sort my life out a bit. :heh:

Anyway N-E, we shall see! :)

I didn't write in the thread but I wanted to learn to drive this year as well - living in London has just given me absolutely no reason to do so. So as far as I'm concerned it can wait!

2015 resolutions

- Get a new job and move to a different city

- Lose weight/continue getting fitter

- Get a new hobby

- Up your dating game

I got a new job and moved to Nottingham.

I have lost weight and am fitter. Still a few pounds to lose (bloody love handles) but I'm looking a lot better.

I've taken up badminton (not strictly new but I'd never played regularly before so I'm counting it). Plus I have been bouldering a few times so that's definitely new.

I've been on a fair few dates, and was in a relationship.

Overall I'd say I've actually achieved my new years objectives for once.

As for the rest of the year I don't have any specific goals. Still just trying to work out what I want from life.

Edited by MoogleViper

Well I had the year from Hell last year so I just wanted a better year, no specific resolutions, I just needed to keep moving on.

To be fair this year has been good to me so far, there are still things that are with me from last year and will be for a while but I'm looking forward and thinking positively.

I sorted my gym plan out, gone from benching 80kg to 105kg! And I got a job that I like. Like a really awesome job that's good for my career; I wrote and recorded my first radio advert. As for playing Destiny less...well, I did until the expansion came out. Now it's just come out I'm playing loads but I don't feel like a slave to it; took me until Sunday to get my sword when I could have grinded for a few hours on the Tuesday and banged it out. I like this approach, I'm busy but not in need. *thinks about playing*

I've made quite a few new friends, too, so the "girlfriend" thing I've kind of put less effort into the past month or so.

I think this is massive. If you've made new friends then you're naturally going to meet new girls and not putting in as much effort sometimes pays dividends as for some reason girls (and boys, no doubt) seem to like you more when you're not actively looking.

I don't think I made any proper resolutions, but me and my other half's main goal was to buy a house, which we've done. Just need to get moved in now before the year is through.

Didn't post in that thread but my resolutions were to leave my crappy retail job, move back to London, and get fully back into journalism. Getting a flat on my budget was harder than I anticipated, but I made it back up in July.

I've got a new journalism job, which I'm yet to start, so my end of year goal is to make a good start in that. It has been a year of weddings for me - going to my 4th of the year this weekend coming; one I've been best man, two of them I've been the official photographer. I'm building up a decent portfolio and developing more camera and photoshop skills, which should come in handy and maybe I'll be able to make some money out of it eventually on top of shooting for friends and family.

Other end of year goal is to continue getting my fitness back up - got a place to run the London Marathon again next April. I have to raise £2000 for Macmillan Cancer Support too so I'm going to be a busy Paul!

Mine:

2015;

- go to New York DONE

- Move out, and in with my lady DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT WOULD BE SENSIBLE CONSIDERING MORTGAGE OPTIONS HAVE APPEARED

- Get promoted at least two more times (:P) HALF DONE

- Start, like, saving and stuff. Be better with finances STARTED SO IT COUNTS

- Be a better friend. Spent a year just wallowing and avoiding people BEEN MORE ACTIVE AND HAVE SUCCEEDED WITHIN MY LIMITATIONS

... so yah i'd say I've done as much as I thought I'd do. My the end of the year the 'saving and stuff' should be much closer to my goal, which leads to the whole moving-in stuff. On form.

I'm not sure what my resolutions were this year, other than to get married, which I did.

I should come up with some better ones next year I think.

Find a companion? Hahahah no :(

Finish the new layout? Aha, it's actually functional now. I just have a few niggles to work out.

Had a really good year until July and it has been shite ever since. See the relationship thread.

Finish the new layout? Aha, it's actually functional now. I just have a few niggles to work out.

Is the new design live?

Is the new design live?

No, but I have a fully functional prototype while I work out the niggles

Pretty much the same as last year. I did actually end up moving to a nicer place though! Went on a mostly cool vacation. Totally failed to write and draw more. Diet still atrocious. It's a 50/50 year so far.

End of year goals... Write and draw more, join a gym, savings.

Edited by Guy

I think this is massive. If you've made new friends then you're naturally going to meet new girls and not putting in as much effort sometimes pays dividends as for some reason girls (and boys, no doubt) seem to like you more when you're not actively looking.

I've already been given some fashion advice that I'm going to follow. A couple of girls (as in they're married to each other) think I'd suit long hair and stubble. As I have curly hair, it should look somewhat like Jon Snow (actually, this spurned because an old image of Kit Harington looks just like me).

I've just cut my hair short because I had no idea what to do with it, so actually doing something with it is a good thing.

What is going on in that photo? Alfie Allen and Kit Harrington look about 14, but then Maisie Williams and Sophie Whasherface only look a few years younger than they do now?

Yeah but Alfie Allen is an adult in the first season, and he looks like a child there. Just a poor photo of all of them really.

My goal for this year was to start giving blood and I have been. Twice so far with a third time coming up in November. The max amount I could really give.

Next years will be a little harder to stick to. I'm going to try and learn Japanese.