N-Europe

Windows 10

Happenstance

Waiting for it to download on my laptop.

Downloading Windows 8.1 for my desktop PC as I currently have a Windows copy running that's not genuine *cough*.

But because I'm a student I get a Windows 8.1 product key for free :p (no Windows 10 key, though for now...so I have to update Windows 8.1 to 10)

Anyone planning on upgrading to Windows 10 today then?

My computer was downloading an update for hours last night, which I assumed was probably Windows 10, but it appears to have been an update for Windows 7 which seems pointless :heh:

I was hoping to have it today but I haven't got any notification about it so I guess I'll have to wait :hmm:

EDIT Never mind.. I went into Command Prompt and forced it :heh:

EDIT 2 OK.. it isn't working!

Edited by nekunando

Well, that Windows Icon in the task bar is gone...

And Windows 10 hasn't been downloaded...so no idea what's happening with my laptop right now .

Go to your C: and change the folder settings to show all hidden files. If there is another windows folder there then you've downloaded it.

EDIT: It should start with $Windows

Edited by Happenstance

I'm not even considering upgrading to Windows 10 at the moment, I'll let others test the water and even if I feel compelled to I still wouldn't bother until upgrading the RAM at the very least in my already technically out of date three year old PC which wouldn't have been designed to run this software in the first place and even before that I'd make an extensive backup. :heh:

I stuck with Windows XP for however long it was out for until Windows 7 was 'on the way out' and only then did I upgrade to a Windows 7 machine 3 years ago after seeing the horror story which is Windows 8 which I deemed to be totally useless for Desktop PC's.

At least Windows 10 attempts to bring back some of the original basic functionality that they shouldn't have taken away in the first place but I'm betting it will be far from being a stable enough platform to use for a little while yet.

Got it installed on my new PC build but it refuses to install on my laptop.

I ended up putting the update on a USB but it's asking for a key and it won't let me skip it.

Edit: Think I realised the problem, I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro from Home Premium and I' supposed to upgrade to Windows 10 home.

Edited by Ike

Managed to get it installed on my laptop, turns out my suspicion was correct and it was asking for a key because I tried installing Pro instead of Home.

Had an issue with not being able to change brightness and it set it to max with was hurting my eyes but it sorted itself out.

Really liking it so far.

I haven't got the update prompt yet and the above methods haven't worked so I'll just wait for it to come to my computer. I like what I'm hearing and seeing from this, though, so I won't hesitate to update from 8.1, which I really dislike - searching for a program takes forever because of all those live tiles and such so I'm looking forward to getting semi-rid of them.

I haven't got the update prompt yet and the above methods haven't worked so I'll just wait for it to come to my computer. I like what I'm hearing and seeing from this, though, so I won't hesitate to update from 8.1, which I really dislike - searching for a program takes forever because of all those live tiles and such so I'm looking forward to getting semi-rid of them.

In 8.1 I would always just swipe from the right and type in whatever program I wanted. 9 times out of 10 it would find it. Never bothered using the live tile bit at all.