Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Splatoon Direct - 7th May

Serebii

The complete lack of GamePad support this past year or more has made people forget about it, myself included. I'm so used to the (amazing) Pro Controller now that I'd find it hard to go back to the Gamepad and many people feel the same.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like N-Europes unparalleled negativity to rip any enjoyment or excitement out of absolutely anything...

I think the game looks incredible. And this direct made it look better and the post game support looks amazing. I think the fact the friend team play is coming eventually eases that one. I don't think people wouldve complained if voice chat was confirmed but delayed either.

I do hope you can form teams of 2, or 3 though and randoms fill up the groups...

Also, the direct mentioned the "initial" amiibo on day one....

So you can only play with gamepad.

Fck you Nintendo!!! I bought the pro controller as I don't want to use the GamePad.

Give me a choice.

LOL? I don't get this at all. The lack of Gamepad-specific functions has been the greatest criticism aimed at Nintendo - Now they make a game just for it and its a complaint??

Yeah, Nintendo can't win.:laughing:

LOL? I don't get this at all. The lack of Gamepad-specific functions has been the greatest criticism aimed at Nintendo - Now they make a game just for it and its a complaint??

Nope, it's not.

The lack of an alternative is the complaint.

Yeah, Nintendo can't win.:laughing:

Sorry but you have failed to understand what my complaint was about. I prefer using the controller pro and would like the option to use it..

Some of us don't like using the GamePad.

Man, the eShop is running at snails pace right now. It's taking ages just to get the Splatoon testfire download going... :zzz:

Can't imagine this thing is going to run smoothly on Saturday at all, what with pretty much every single game-starved Wii U owner trying to connect and play simultaneously in the space of 1 hour. :hmm:

Man, the eShop is running at snails pace right now. It's taking ages just to get the Splatoon testfire download going... :zzz:

Can't imagine this thing is going to run smoothly on Saturday at all, what with pretty much every single game-starved Wii U owner trying to connect and play simultaneously in the space of 1 hour. :hmm:

Hey now. I won't be bothering with it one bit. No interest in the game.

Don't go lumping me in with your general assumptions, General Assumption!

I think the stupidly early session will have the best results. My alarm is ready. :D

You may have a point though, the first one is a bit late for Japan and Europe, second one is a tiny bit early for US, but not 4am early.

third one is very early for Japan though, so I imagine not many will take part from that time zone.

America represents about 50% of the Wii U owner population though so...

I suspect you are right, 1st test will be best, followed by the second test, with the third and final being the most troublesome period.

Nintendo might be expecting a similar thing. Have the smallest load first, see if anything needs tweaking, have 6 hours to make those tweaks, with 1 hour leniency, then up the load a bit.. and then repeat that with a final heaviest load to finish up.

On the plus side, if there are enough issues, they may give us another set of times.

Pants! I completely forgot there are other countries other than England. :D

UKIP voter alert....

This is my big worry, I can already see them apologising and giving us the following weekend as well...

Yeah, I'm getting up at that time. Would be cool if we could get an early morning N-E session going. :D

Are there enough nutters among us though :) Really hope they let friends in, and it's smooth. Can just imagine us lot at 4:30, still not got into a gsme because it keeps crashing!

Just watched the Direct, amazing. Some of those newly revealed sub and special weapons look great fun.

Can't wait for this game. Not sure what the thing @Serebii mentioned that was supposed to have us tearing our hair out was. The friends swapping sides at random thing? Meh, does anyone really care?

Yeah it sucks the game is incomplete at launch, but it'll keep interest up with new updates every week or two. Looked like there were a lot of new maps to come as well. Post launch content looks massive.

Nice idea having the retro arcade games during waiting screens.

Having the demo timed and windowed will stop players burning out on the game before they even buy it.

The friends swapping sides at random thing? Meh, does anyone really care?

Yeah it sucks the game is incomplete at launch, but it'll keep interest up with new updates every week or two. Looked like there were a lot of new maps to come as well. Post launch content looks massive.

You must not have played many team based shooters then and given your dislike of everything the other consoles do, I assume this is the case. Either that or you lack the mates to play online with. Either way it is a big deal to those you do enjoy team based shooters with friends. Thankfully this decision will only be in effect for 3 months, before moving to a more standard way of playing an online game.

Your second paragraph is really what bothered me after the Direct. Nintendo have been one of the last players in the development game to ship titles once they were fully finished and ready to go. Given the lack of content for the online stuff, which is a MASSIVE part of what the game is, this seems to no longer be the case.

In the past, Iwata stated this about DLC:

“And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, ‘let’s hold this back for DLC.’ That’s not our plan. We’re definitely not doing that. It’s an extreme example, but I think there are examples of games where you get that initial purchase — the very core part of the game — and everything else around it is all DLC. However, if you do that I believe customers will have no motivation to go out and buy the retail package to begin with.”

Bear in mind he was speaking about PAID DLC when making this comment but it holds very true for what Splatoon is all about. I don't think they are holding stuff back, just that the game isn't really ready yet but they need to get it out the door. You are buying the game but the DLC is what is going to hold all of this together, whether it be paid or free.

I was just expecting something far more earth shatteringly negative given how Serebii described it.

I think referring to that Iwata quote is unfair, they're not holding anything back nor are they charging for updates (which I appreciate you've remarked already). Obviously they need this out quickly. It's a shame but it sounds like they're making up for it with a huge amount of post launch content.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!