Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playstation class them as life support

Could be worse for the Playstation I suppose. Rather have a system that has almost every genre represented and with just too many games to play that no one has the time to complte it could just rely on drip feed from 1st party ;)

The fact of the matter is, the PS4 isn't on life support and the WiiU is... in a vegetative state.

No matter how much you guys here may like the games Nintendo are putting out, it's evident that the vast majority don't give two shits. That is why Nintendo needs 3rd Parties, that's why they have to put out games that appeal enough to warrant console sales!

Playstation class them as life support

Can we try and be a bit more mature about this? It's quite clear that the approach Nintendo has towards software is different from Sony/Microsoft. The former put a lot of heart and soul in first party while it's clearly the others put more effort into second/third party.

Sorry, "mature" may not be the right word but can't find one. And while I'm quoting yourself it's not just yourself obviously.

Edited by Ashley

no 3D Mario = no sales.... Needs a gt competitor... No miis.... That's certainly one of the strangest posts I've read in a while.

Please elaborate.

No, seriously, please elaborate on how you think those statements are strange.

The bit I didn't understand was the if it's just 2d Marion and mimi game complications (A situation that has never happened in the history of gaming) you'll have no interest in it, and you'll bet money on that... Bet money on the fact you'll have no interest in it...?

I'm not betting money on me not liking it. I'm betting money on the whole console being one massive write-off.

I'm betting sales will be poor and the backlash from the press and game community will be massive.

Strange your post seems to be advising Nintendo how to make a successful console, yet say launch with pilot wings or wave race. Two games I'd absolutely love, but they ain't going to make the nx a successful console.

Either of those games could prove the NX is powerful, which is what Nintendo will need. But yes, I do understand how you doubt that Pilotwings will be a massive seller, considering how out of fashtion flying games unfortunately are.

However, when it comes to Waverace, yes, I'm quite certain that could boost sales. Extreme sports games are still quite popular and personally, I can't think of any Nintendo franchise which could better show of graphical horse power. Photo realistic riders with great (perhaps even physics based) animations riding jet skis over reflective, foaming and dynamic water, twelve riders racing at once, eye catching surroundings, dynamic weather and time of day like in Project CARS, all rendered at 1080p, 60fps. If Nintendo do that, I doubt anyone'll call the system underpowered. It would be a game journalists would write about, it would be something Nintendo fans would tweet about. Sorry, but regardless of how many of you may feel about it, people will in all likelyhood be considerably more hyped over it than any of the 2D games that have been announced for the Wii U. Throw in really good online play (with voice chat), make the game open-world, add a wide variety of jet skis to buy, upgrade and customise and it'll receive favourable reviews.

I'm not saying that this should be the main attraction. Nintendo will still need that 3D Mario, they'll need a quantity of high quality games that will come out after launch.

Photo realistic riders.. make the game open-world..

I'm definitely all for a new, and gorgeous, Wave Race but photo-realism and an open world is a horrible idea :nono:

I want a new Wave Race that is bursting with colour, like its predecessors, and has me racing through a variety of beautiful and dynamic locations. I most certainly don't want it to be open world and 'realistic' :heh:

I'm definitely all for a new, and gorgeous, Wave Race but photo-realism and an open world is a horrible idea :nono:

I want a new Wave Race that is bursting with colour, like its predecessors, and has me racing through a variety of beautiful and dynamic locations. I most certainly don't want it to be open world and 'realistic' :heh:

Reality is a really lovely and colourful place ;)

tropics_palm_trees_ocean_vacation_shore.jpg

I never played either but Wave Race doesn't need anything like that. I'd be happy with something similar to Blue Storm in structure :heh:

The structure of Blue Storm is IMO what made the game feel dated back in 2001. The arcade mode with four different difficulty settings and only six riders made me get tired of it really quickly.

I kind of understand why you'd want seperate tracks with distinct themes, rather than an open world. I was giving examples of how Nintendo could make the game relevant. And to be relevant, Waverace would need a 10+ hour singleplayer mode, rather than a dated arcade mode.

Edited by Hogge

I'm certainly not saying that we shouldn't move forward or have new features but I don't feel like all games need to tick every box or over-complicate things just for the sake of it. I appreciate the simplicity of the N64 and Gamecube versions and found satisfaction in learning how to get better and progress through the challenging difficulty.

Pilotwings Resort is similarly berated for lacking content but I felt that there was more than enough to enjoy. Having said that, I do understand that we all look for different things in games and things that I value may not necessarily mean much to others!

Please elaborate.

No, seriously, please elaborate on how you think those statements are strange.

I'm not betting money on me not liking it. I'm betting money on the whole console being one massive write-off.

I'm betting sales will be poor and the backlash from the press and game community will be massive.

Either of those games could prove the NX is powerful, which is what Nintendo will need. But yes, I do understand how you doubt that Pilotwings will be a massive seller, considering how out of fashtion flying games unfortunately are.

However, when it comes to Waverace, yes, I'm quite certain that could boost sales. Extreme sports games are still quite popular and personally, I can't think of any Nintendo franchise which could better show of graphical horse power. Photo realistic riders with great (perhaps even physics based) animations riding jet skis over reflective, foaming and dynamic water, twelve riders racing at once, eye catching surroundings, dynamic weather and time of day like in Project CARS, all rendered at 1080p, 60fps. If Nintendo do that, I doubt anyone'll call the system underpowered. It would be a game journalists would write about, it would be something Nintendo fans would tweet about. Sorry, but regardless of how many of you may feel about it, people will in all likelyhood be considerably more hyped over it than any of the 2D games that have been announced for the Wii U. Throw in really good online play (with voice chat), make the game open-world, add a wide variety of jet skis to buy, upgrade and customise and it'll receive favourable reviews.

I'm not saying that this should be the main attraction. Nintendo will still need that 3D Mario, they'll need a quantity of high quality games that will come out after launch.

Ah okay, it just wasn't clear. I guess the absolute extremity you speak in is what makes it slightly odd. Not that i disagree with what you're saying would be great for the system But just Nintendo have NEVET shown off a console with just mini games and 2d platformers so why would they now? If that's all they showed then yeah, it'd do disastrously.

As for proving its power, that's if it IS powerful. But why couldn't mario do that? However, I want a new pilot wings and Wave Race (definitely this) more than most games, I just don't think they'll have the impact you say. It feels like you're confusing personal opinion/desires with what would make the NX a surefire winner. For me I'd take Pikmin 4, Advance Wars, Wave Race F Zero, Metroid prime and 3D Mario; but I don't think it'd be the games to sell NX to the masses.

Some of us have said it countless times on here but Nintendo have all the franchises at their disposal to launch a Nintendo Sports brand. It would be a way to make a different impact with the next console.

E-Sports is absolutely HUGE, and Nintendo have everything they need to enter the market and attend/run tournaments.

1080, WaveRace, Excitebike (rallycross), ExciteTruck, Pilotwings... and even F-Zero (Extreme-G would have qualified, so.. there you go Shigsy, there's your gimmick :rolleyes:) could all come under this brand.

It would certainly make people sit up and notice. Your casual gamer perusing the shelves in Game might stop and think twice at seeing such a range.

And what's more these are games that hardly anyone is making. WipeOut is no more, MotorStorm is absent at the moment, SSX didn't have the comeback it wanted... and in terms of the some Nintendo franchises, they don't even have any real rivals.

Honestly I think it could be enough to get the masses to buy your console. Especially given how people play games nowadays. Release new editions yearly, who care, everyone else does. Or if not, just support it with DLC for the rest of the generation like Street Fighter.

It would certainly refresh peoples image of Nintendo.

A truly visually stunning Waverace could be to the NX like Rogue Squadron was to the Gamecube.

That Waverace is my favourite racing game ever too would certainly get my interest up.

Still, the console needs Party Chat for me to ever buy it.

Some of us have said it countless times on here but Nintendo have all the franchises at their disposal to launch a Nintendo Sports brand. It would be a way to make a different impact with the next console.

E-Sports is absolutely HUGE, and Nintendo have everything they need to enter the market and attend/run tournaments.

1080, WaveRace, Excitebike (rallycross), ExciteTruck, Pilotwings... and even F-Zero (Extreme-G would have qualified, so.. there you go Shigsy, there's your gimmick :rolleyes:) could all come under this brand.

It would certainly make people sit up and notice. Your casual gamer perusing the shelves in Game might stop and think twice at seeing such a range.

And what's more these are games that hardly anyone is making. WipeOut is no more, MotorStorm is absent at the moment, SSX didn't have the comeback it wanted... and in terms of the some Nintendo franchises, they don't even have any real rivals.

Honestly I think it could be enough to get the masses to buy your console. Especially given how people play games nowadays. Release new editions yearly, who care, everyone else does. Or if not, just support it with DLC for the rest of the generation like Street Fighter.

These games also tend to do very well with western audiences, who are by far the biggest market that Nintendo need to win over.

Out of interest (from people in general), do you think Nintendo would fare better if they released the Mario sports series without Mario? The underlying mechanics themselves are usually pretty good, but I wonder if the image alone of Mario puts some people off. And not helped by the power ups and all that which are fun, but take away from realism.

and I certainly don't want to see any classic franchises defiled by the ugly bastards. Pilotwings Resort, I'm looking at you.

But...but...it's YOUR face!! :p

Your hatred of Miis disgusts me :heh: They're one of the best things Nintendo has ever done and I'd like them to find a way to make them more customisable based on the games you play and even Amiibo :grin:

Imagine if you could get MeMiibo's! Nintendo officially making custom Amiibo of your Mii on request, that you can take everywhere!

On the actual subject of Mii's - I can either take or leave them, but I do think their use and branding has been done pretty well all things considered.

On the subject of launch stuff, having posted about this guy's AC mockup in Wii U general it's gotten me to thinking - what if they had Animal Crossing title at launch? I think it could be a great game to showcase some of the console's capabilities. Overhaul the Online system? Show some of it off with ACNX. Handheld+console hybrid? ACNX is a GREAT title to work with that. A uniquely Nintendo title that has mass appeal to lots of fans(not that this is the sole way forward)? ACNX.

If they hadn't already used 'New' for New leaf it could have been like New something to work with the 'NX' angle. I'd have gone with Animal Crossing : New Horizons but that doesn't have any X in it :p

New Crossing, obviously.

Bit redundant on the Crossing though! Tbh I wasn't keen to even put 'New' in my idea given how much it's been rinsed by Nintendo as the new Super, but it fit for New Horizons. The more I'm thinking about it, the more I feel like an ACNX would be a good draw for me to the system; especially if it can hybrid so you can take your town(or some aspect of it) with you on the go.

I would wonder with that though - how will syncing between the two halves of the system work? Will it be an always online syncing sort of system, or a direct sync between systems, or even both? Obviously raises all the issues you'd get with diff versions of saves etc.

Out of interest (from people in general), do you think Nintendo would fare better if they released the Mario sports series without Mario? The underlying mechanics themselves are usually pretty good, but I wonder if the image alone of Mario puts some people off. And not helped by the power ups and all that which are fun, but take away from realism.
Personally yes, and that's why I omitted them from such a sports range.

By all means keep making Mario Tennis and Golf, but separate them out from the other titles which could have their own branded cases, maybe even a different colour case.

F-Zero has it's own range of awesome characters people could get to know, 1080 and WaveRace used to cross over characters, do that, and do it with the other sports games too.

Somewhat ironically I feel that if Mario Tennis 64 were around today it could make it on to the E-Sports scene, but Mario Tennis and Golf to an extent as a brand has been so diluted by Nintendo over the years. By all means make them fun, but like the N64 titles, make them games that you can take seriously, to become great at, and not just full of gimmicks.

EDIT: Just re-read the question

The Mario Tennis and Golf series should stay as they are, but Nintendo they need to take them more seriously.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm on the fence. If Nintendo were to ever dive into the MMORPG world, a Mushroom Kingdom sports one would be a theme I'd be keen to see. Similar to Wii Sports Resort in terms of one location but multiple events. There could be multiplayer competition, quests, leveling up etc. I think it would be pretty great and they could update it yearly with new sports, characters etc.

In fact I see them doing a lot more of what they've done with Splatoon, Smash and Mario Maker, releasing new bits of content every month or two but over the course of a few years, making their new games a platform that they can build on.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!